ha well i know a lot of ppl think its for the lazy and it probably is...but i think it would be cool on stage during a situation when u cant necessarily hear yourself

also if its gibson made i cant sound too bad
Last edited by lockless7x at Jun 18, 2008,
Not like this has come up 50 times before.
Set Up

Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Fender Princeton Chorus Amp
Fender Acoustic 12 String
Samick Acoustic 6 String
Line 6 POD X3 Live
I would not pay 3000 for something I could do myself. Just not my cup of tea.

Quote by lockless7x
ha well i know a lot of ppl think its for the lazy and it probably is...but i think it would be cool on stage during a situation when u cant necessarily hear yourself

I would just by another guitar for half the price and set it up for another tuning. Not to mention I love buying new gear.
Gear:
American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Blues Junior
Vox Wah
Last edited by KrazyGrape at Jun 18, 2008,
Ive heard nothing but terrible things about the robot series lol. Especially the new robot sg (purple one no?)

I personally havent played it but I've heard people rip on it.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
try to put your postings about this in the other 100's of postings about the robot guitar. i has been out for almost a year
instead of spending 3 grand on a guitar that can tune itself, buy a sexy amp, or a sexy guitar and slightly less, but still sexy, amp...
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
If you ignore the fact that its $3000, then how would you not want the guitar? Unless your not into gibson...or just stick to one tuning.
Quote by clsscrckr91
Not like this has come up 50 times before.

Also not as though you have the choice to ignore the discussion (seeing in the title that it is about the Gibson Robot models) and move along to something that actually interests you, that you know something about, and that doesn't force you to look ignorant. Oh no...wait; yes you DO have that choice.

Quote by subopolois
try to put your postings about this in the other 100s of postings about the robot guitar. i has been out for almost a year

Maybe so but that makes no difference. I first saw it in a catalog that arrived today, so I asked about it.
It would be nice for stuff onstage but the colors are stupid
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
i always thought it would be funny to somehow put a floyd rose on the robot guitar and watch it try to tune itself
Quote by lockless7x

Really! hahahaha. ever heard of a gibson sonex, or a The Paul version of a les paul. gibson has made crappy sounding guitars.

But to the topic, the guitar is good if you want a self tuning guitar. If a self tuning is not important to you (which it isnt in the slightest to me) then its a generally overpriced guitar.
Im no gibson hater, but why do they have to spend time creating this dribble but they still cant get there $5200 59 reissues a correct bridge angle or at least better sounding pickups than the burstbuckers.
Why are we plagued by these Gibson Robot threads!? These are almost as annoying as seeing a "Which guitar" or "New amp!?" thread every ten seconds!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why are we plagued by these Gibson Robot threads!? These are almost as annoying as seeing a "Which guitar" or "New amp!?" thread every ten seconds!

More importantly...

...why in the hell would you want one? Buy a good tuner.
It takes a minute to tune your guitar, at most.

Boo-hoo, "Oh, but it makes switching tunings easier!"

Learn your note intervals and it should be no problem!
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by hmblm12
i always thought it would be funny to somehow put a floyd rose on the robot guitar and watch it try to tune itself

Greatest.
Idea.
Ever.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Slaytanic1993

what
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
Quote by Lordbob
what

With a regular tuner, it takes maximum a minute to tune your guitar. Thus, this robot thing is somewhat foolish.
An automatic tuner isn't worth $3000 but I can see the potential of the system. I don't have any problem with convenience.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
An automatic tuner isn't worth $3000 but I can see the potential of the system. I don't have any problem with convenience.

Oh, I love convenience. I guess the thing is that I've never really felt inconvenienced by not having one of these. In fact, I think it'd just get annoying.
I can't believe yall are hating on this guitar. I wish my guitar tuned itself. Then I could switch to Sonic Youth, metal, and back to standard in seconds rather than minutes. To those that criticize it, let me ask you this: what is your mode of transportation? Car? Or do you just walk everywhere because driving a car is lazy? I mean, the car does all the work, doesn't it? The logic behind many of your criticisms uses the same principle and makes about as much sense.

With that said, I definitely won't buy a robot guitar until 1. I'm rich (not happening) or 2. they're relatively cheap. The technology is great - I just hope it turns out to be reliable.
Last edited by MudaFoka at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by lockless7x

THIS! It's this kind of thinking which allows Gibson to make such a lame product and sell it for so much money.
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
Quote by TheProducer
Oh, I love convenience. I guess the thing is that I've never really felt inconvenienced by not having one of these.

I like alternate tunings but don't have another (decent) guitar I can use just for that purpose. I'd probably play in DADGAD and opening tunings more often if I could press a button to tune up.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

This guitar is only meant for gigging/studio musicians. Sure there will be other people who don't do either and can afford it, good for them, but just because you don't see have a need for the guitar doesn't mean there aren't people who do.

Someone mentioned in the last thread that even a minute of silence as you tune your guitar looks unprofessional. And that's assuming you can get in perfect tune in a minute where even being slightly out of tune sticks out like a sore thumb, because you're playing with other instruments...

In the studio time is money, and I'm sure there are plenty of people looking to expedite the process of recording songs. If someone is recording good enough to be recording a CD in a professional environment or they're a well established session musician. I think they've earned the right to not have to tune their guitars while on the job.

/$0.02
While I can see the advantages of such a guitar, they really only exist for professional performing musicians. For the hobby player IMO the VG Stratocaster approached the blend of digital and analog much better, even if you have to tune it yourself. Both are rather expensive though.

I think the Gibson is a great proof-of-concept, and a neat "feature" to have, and I'm sure a very nice guitar but it probably won't start to become accepted until it becomes more affordable.
Even if you want a digital guitar, the Fender VG strat has this thing beat. And it's cheaper.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
i would rather spend $3000 on a strobe tuner, new amp and a new guitar instead of ONE guitar, and i dont even like the colour.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
I just remembered seeing THIS a while back for all of you who can't be bothered to turn that awful peg yourself.

Robot guitar for $50?
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
Now that guitar looks frikkin gorgeous, but I'm still not falling for that whole self-tuning cack.
Quote by TheProducer
More importantly...

...why in the hell would you want one? Buy a good tuner.
You can't start whipping out your 'good tuner' and ****ing around when you're on stage in front of 70000 screaming fans.

Quote by Slaytanic1993

You can't spare a minute to start tuning in situations like that, and no, you can't always just compensate for tunings like that. How would you compensate for Double Drop-C tuning if you didn't have a tuner? How would you go from Standard to playing slide in Open G without a tuner handy? Oh I know, you get the Robot guitar!

Quote by JarOfAlmonds
For the hobby player

This is where your post got redundant. 'Hobby players' don't have $3000 to blow on a Studio or Special model in the first place.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ZOMG ive been living in a hole for a year and only just found about this from you, what an amazing discovery you have made sir.

What a douche use the searchbar next time
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Quote by MrFlibble
You can't start whipping out your 'good tuner' and ****ing around when you're on stage in front of 70000 screaming fans.

Why not? Go watch some videos of whoever you can think of might've played in front of 70,000 people and count how many of the guitarists use a "robot guitar". Bottom line, buy a decent guitar and it stays in tune pretty well anyways, plus someone who plays in front of such a crowd probably changes guitars every few songs anyways for a different sound/tuning, etc. so the techs would retune it for them behind the scenes.

I don't think you're going to find very many people performing with one of these in front of a huge crowd like that. Plus, I don't think any audience member would be genuinely annoyed if a guitarist clicked on his floor tuner for 30 seconds. I've seen many people do it. Most talk to the crowd while they do, sometimes the drummer and the bassist start a song, etc. Guitars are instruments that need to be tuned, most people know that. No one is going to be like, "OMG What is he doing?!"
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 19, 2008,