I recently purchased an Epiphone Valve Junior with the intent of modding it to my hearts content, in preparation for building my own tube amp, and in my research I came across the BitMo mod kits, specifically the Trio kit. The kit adds a push/pull tone knob that is a boost when activated, as well as a 3-way voicing switch. I really like the sound of the end product, but is it really worth $50 for a pot and a few components? I have plans for my own mods, including a master volume, a tone control and a boost (if I don't use the one from the kit), and if all goes well, I have seen someone who has added a second pre-amp tube gain stage, and I hope to try the same, and try to make it footswitchable, whether or not the signal passes through the second tube.

Basically, are these mods worth the $$ or should I just work things out on my own? And if I do end up starting out with one of the BitMo kits, would they ruin the other plans I had, or will I be ok?

Thanks!
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Quote by darthalal
Basically, are these mods worth the $$ or should I just work things out on my own?
guys who sell kits don't do it just for fun. they do it to make a profit. of course it will cost more.
worth it?
you're paying more for instructions than you are for parts in most cases.
you can figure it out on your own? then probably not worth it.
need help? maybe it's worth the money.

here's some info and links to get yourself started:
the Epiphone Valve Junior Resource thread
if you find anything in your travels on the net that would be worth adding to the knowledge base there, please post.

good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks! I've decided to do everything on my own, from scratch, I'll probably post in that thread when I get everything all finished up!
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

cool.

you should probably post your own thread on the mods you do, and include pictures, schematic, etc.

just PM me when you do, and I'll put a link to your thread in the resource thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
guys who sell kits don't do it just for fun. they do it to make a profit. of course it will cost more.
worth it?
you're paying more for instructions than you are for parts in most cases.
you can figure it out on your own? then probably not worth it.
need help? maybe it's worth the money.

here's some info and links to get yourself started:
the Epiphone Valve Junior Resource thread
if you find anything in your travels on the net that would be worth adding to the knowledge base there, please post.

good luck,
SYK

listen to the man.

helped me out o couple of times when i was modding my VJ.

trust me. he knows!

dunc
Thank you please.