What scales do you guys use for soloing?
I havent really gotten to learning any scales aside from the pentatonic mode.
so what do you use?
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
minor scale, major scale, phygrian sometimes
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
all i use is the pentatonic scale. the pentatonic scale and octaves pretty much makes up my bass playing.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
try either dorian mode or aeolian mode. dorian mixes major and minor pentatonic and aeolian just rules because Kirk Hammett uses it.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
I only know the relative major and minor scales for a key. I can also play the pentatonic major/minor.

That's about it for now, excluding arpeggios which can sound great for solos.

Hoping to start work on modes as soon as lessons start again.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I know all the major scales and Minor Pentatonic scales, All I ever use is the pentatonic though.

so I'd suggest learning that.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Definitely start with major and minor scales in all the modes.....
I also use the blues and bebop scales alot, but that's just my style......

try to experiment with some exotic scales as well. don't try to go out and completely memorize all of them, that's pretty much impossible, but throwing in a little oriental, hindu, or arabesque scale work can do alot in the right places. whatever sounds good
Quote by tjhome28
It annoys me when kids sit there playing the sweet child o mine or smoke on the water intro riff repeatedly
and badly
and so loud the whole shop can't hear themselves think
and with the worst amp settings possible

[/rant]

+1
I use scales that fit the music.

However my favorites are the natural minor, diminished, lydian, minor pentatonic and major pentatonic.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i havent been using this scale real in depth, but the other day i read about the Locrian scale in the electric guitar forum, and i liked it, so ive gotta go actually learn it now, instead of just dabbling with the notes
Turquoise Team Beasts!
i prefer the phlantagalic and the hermalgiclactic... lol j/k

actually i do not know ANY of those scales yet, i can read tabs (slowly) only. and have absolutely no idea what/where notes are by name. i can do power chords, but no others, basically one note at a time + hammers/ pulloffs / slides / bends / and the whammy of course

where is a good place to learn chords? i remember when i was about 10 and took lessons for a year or 2 the teacher had a bunch of charts, but he did not teach me any of that. he only showed me the beginnings of about 20 songs, i can just about finish seek and destroy. the rest are all partial peices, including some solo's like the first solo in 'one' and the first one in sanatarium welcome home

i am a quick learner, and somewhat coordinated so i really just need to learn finger placement techniques.

ideas?
forgot to mention im 30 now, so i imagine lessons would be worth alot more now then they were back then, but i would rather 'self-learn' researching this site has been very helpful so far. just trying to take in so much at the same time, not sure what to work on first. thanks for any advice on where to start