I picked up bass about 4 months ago after playing guitar for about 4 years and play it when I jam with my friends. We pretty much just play rock. I've tried using my fingers to play but it just feels really weird so I ended up playing with some thick rubber picks.

Is there any advantage to playing with fingers opposed to picks?

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place
a pick will give you a different sound, and you'll probably play faster since you aren't good with your fingers.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
your fingers give you a bit more versitility, i think, allowing you to switch from fingerstyle to slap to tap to whatever without worrying about a pick. the tone issue is purely subjective, fingers give a rounder less twangy tone than a pick. i would suggest maybe practicing playing with your fingers, you make get comfortable with it and end up prefering it. if not then you can happily pick away
this is my song. i made it out of music. please help it grow big and strong by criticising it mercilessly
You can only get 1 sound with a pick.
But you can get many sounds using your fingers. (including slap and pop)

Practice playing with your fingers. Index then middle, I, M, I. M and so on.

Nothing horrible will happen using a pick but learning to use your fingers can only make you better.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Id say its more valuable to be able to play with your fingers but playing with a pick is a good skill to have.
If you use a pick, you simply get a different tone. It's more punctual than using your fingers, but of course, you can get a very punctual tone with your fingers as well. However, there is a big advantage, you can be punk rock and do only down strokes.
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
For most stuff a pick will hold you back and give you a different tone. Learn both though, so you have broader horizons.

More about this in the FAQ.

Slightly fixed.....How would a pick hold anyone back? It isn't poor tone, it's a different tone.

I myself feel weird using a pick on bass so I use fingers on bass and a pick on guitar....

EDIT: Learn to use your fingers, it feels weird because you aren't use to it but it will feel more natural with time and practice.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I put my thumb and pointer finger together as if I'm holding a pick, and strike the string with the side of my thumb. The accuracy of a pick (pretty much) and speed, without the twang.
All your base are belong to us.
i started playing with a pick and would swear by them. But as soon as I bought my acoustic it has hardly ever seen a pick. Its ackward with a pick now. Id sugest learning both.
Uh oh... I feel another unintelligent pick vs finger argument coming on.

Playing with a pick has advantages and playing with fingers has advantages but what it really depends on is how you want to express yourself.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
Uh oh... I feel another unintelligent pick vs finger argument coming on.

Playing with a pick has advantages and playing with fingers has advantages but what it really depends on is how you want to express yourself.

+ Pepperoni Pizza. They're different techniques for different purposes.
Picks vs Fingers threads aren't allowed here, simply because it's been done to death. I'm sure there's pros and cons of each in the FAQ. I think you need to be able to do both.