what the title says is the question

i been playing for 3-4 years and my acoustic still makes my fingers hurt like hell
specially doing bends and pull offs

sometimes the the tips get a little purplish and the skin peels off

the question is is this normal on steel strings or eventually my fingers will become like rocks?
or maybe i have a guitar with incredible high action?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Quote by stefan1988
what the title says is the question

i been playing for 3-4 years and my acoustic still makes my fingers hurt like hell
specially doing bends and pull offs

sometimes the the tips get a little purplish and the skin peels off

the question is is this normal on steel strings or eventually my fingers will become like rocks?
or maybe i have a guitar with incredible high action?

Have you ever gotten the guitar checked out by a music store? I know when I first started playing, I had a Taylor Big Baby... I didn't know any better, but the action was RIDICULOUSLY high (I had some strings that were too heavy for it on it and it, needed a truss rod adjustment).
depending on how often you play .. by now your fingers should not be hurting .. is it hurting or just uncomfortable ? .. you should use lights or extra lights strings if you arent already .. and lower the action if u see u need to .. did ur fingertips build up callouses ? ..
this is the guitar i play
http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/AEG10TPL-11e23cd877e4e49d571ced21ea087ec2.jpg

aeg10 ibanez

depending on how often you play .. by now your fingers should not be hurting .. is it hurting or just uncomfortable ? .. you should use lights or extra lights strings if you arent already .. and lower the action if u see u need to .. did ur fingertips build up callouses ?

i play almost every single day
the strings i got are daddario light

i dont know if it is hurting or uncomfortable is kind of hard to explain

like i can do chords no problem but certain techniques are a pain to do for example puill offs in the e string piece of cake you change to the b string gets harder you change to g and is harder and tougher while on my eletric guitar i can do pull offs in any string no problem whatsoever

bending is easier on my electric as well
bending is what gives me mostly the purple fingertips on my acoustic

how do you lower the action by the truss rod or do i need to take to a guitar shop?
i heard action on acoustics are adjusted by sanding the bridge
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I started out on steelstrings, only hurted for a week, then I started gettting that hard skin on the finger tips, now I don't feel any pain or anything.
yea you sand down the saddle .. go to frets.com and it has a tutorial there to show you how to do it ..if you play everyday i dont know why your fingers are still hurting .. do u have callouses on your fingertips ? .. if you look at my hands my right hand is normal and my left hand has callouses on every fingertip .. lolz ..

Well they should, but if it hasnt happened yet and youve been playing every day for 3-4 years im not sure it will.

maybe i have a guitar with incredible high action?

Maybe, I honestly cant think of anything else. Unless youre doing something like soaking your hands in warm water after you play...lol.
^ or before for that matter. haha

Anyway... It's natural for your fingers to hurt after a few hours of playing. I dont think anyone really gets over ALL the pain.

I actually think that it's not so much that it hurts that much less now that i have thicker callouses than before. I think it's more that I've played so often that i've acquired a higher pain tolerance in my fingers more than anything.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.

Maybe, I honestly cant think of anything else. Unless youre doing something like soaking your hands in warm water after you play...lol.

mmmmm i take a shower sometimes and play after that but i make sure fingers are dry
sometimes i have my hands dirty and i wash them before i play i doubt that messes my fingers up

do u have callouses on your fingertips ?

yeah when i was beginner i tried doing chords and my hand hurted like hell but now all of that is a breeze is just bending that affects me the most mkaes the tips purple

the one thing i dont know if im messing up my callouses
my skin peels off after bending for a while

I actually think that it's not so much that it hurts that much less now that i have thicker callouses than before. I think it's more that I've played so often that i've acquired a higher pain tolerance in my fingers more than anything.

i been playing for a long while usually i practice on acoustic since doing everything is harder pull offs to bends

go to frets.com and it has a tutorial there to show you how to do it

i might ask my dad if can help me out im kind of crappy at this stuff im better with eletronics or i might take it to shop

do yo guys know how much can it cost to get the action lowered?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
i would say if you play electric guitar as well and then one day you grab your acoustic and bust out a little solo and do some vibrato and bends it is much harder and it kind of destroys your fingers a bit until you get used to it in a few hours, then you go back to the electric and the strings fell like rubber bands. happens to me
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
take a side view shot of the neck of your guitar so we can see how high the action is
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Bending is usually quite harder on acoustic than electric, but yeah, high action only exacerbates that.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
take a side view shot of the neck of your guitar so we can see how high the action is

well doesnt matter anymore i manage to sell the guitar to a friend and now im going to buy a new one but thats the tough part choosing one that would be more gentle on my fingers
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Well, buy one with extremely low action and coated factory strings. Yamaha FG730S Sorry, a bit biased on the guitar since I own it myself. It's a great guitar, not hard on the fingers, and the action is pretty low.
Well, buy one with extremely low action and coated factory strings. Yamaha FG730S Sorry, a bit biased on the guitar since I own it myself. It's a great guitar, not hard on the fingers, and the action is pretty low.

i just bought this bad boy today but thanks for suggestion anyways
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-314CE-Grand-Auditorium-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=514973
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Good choice. Let us know how she plays.

the guitar is amazing i left impressed after i bought it then i played home with the peace and quiet and is simply amazing is so resonant and the sound is so full

im digging the feel of the wood and i just tried playing layla accoustic version and it sounds incredible

i tried as many guitars as i could and played 4 hours at the music shop just testing acoustics and this one was the best one of all of the ones i could try i was thinking damm 1700 for an acoustic is hell alot of money but now that im playing it and enjoying it so much i think is worth every penny it if anybody wants to get this guitar get it simply amazing
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
also stefan if you want to improve finger strength and calluases i suggest getting a cheap bass guitar and doing lots of slides and slides into bends. All the bass players i know have figer tips that can snuff out a fire without them feeling it.

also stefan if you want to improve finger strength and calluases i suggest getting a cheap bass guitar and doing lots of slides and slides into bends. All the bass players i know have figer tips that can snuff out a fire without them feeling it.

thats a good idea i rember i played a friends bass once and that thing hurt like hell but made my acoustic feel like a toy i might get one later on

thanks for suggestion
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
i play roughly 2-3hrs a day... yesterday i played about 10 hrs and my fingers never hurt from the strings... i can do a heavy gripmaster with my left hand with the callous caps on and not even feel it... my fingertips are are hard as a rock though...

maybe try the alcohol trick... just need to build up your callouses... my fingers used to hurt like crazy when i first started... to the point of bleeding a few times...

ohh and yeah i play bass as well... so maybe that has something to do with my freakish callouses
Last edited by pixelchemist at Jun 25, 2008,
bro I have been playing Acoustic for like 17 years off and on, and my fingers still hurt... but now I can play almost the whole day...

Let your fingers rest for like a week and don't play, then your fingers will feel good on the strings...

I don't remember where I herd this but Stevie Ray Vaughan, used 15 G. strings on his Electric Guitars ( they would say he used Telephone Pole Wire, for strings ).
but He Would put SUPER GLUE on his tips to play, cause he would play off his callouses and bleed...

I like to use 11 or 12 G. strings they have a nice full crisp sound to them, I think...
I also played a nylon guitar and that helps to. It wont dig in your tips to much.
the bass thing I know it works but I think it is more for your fingers to get stronger.

good luck
bro I have been playing Acoustic for like 17 years off and on, and my fingers still hurt... but now I can play almost the whole day...

yeah i can play the whole day with steel acoustic but it was the bending mostly that makes my finger hurts but i think all steel strings are the same i went to compare a bunch of guitars and they were all pretty stiff on the bending. so i guess i leave the bending for the eletric and hopefully in more years i dont feel it as much

thanks for advice anyways
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I actually kind of had the same problem. When I first began playing after six months I got these calluses. I went on vacation and stopped playing guitar for 3 weeks and after 3 weeks they still didn't completely go away, and then after that until now the skin just got stronger I guess cause now I can play for a longer time without it hurting and I don't really even get calluses anymore (unless I play for a really long time). However recently when I was sliding on the the low E string I always got these purple lines on my finger. I mean it kind of hurts, I wouldn't say it was even enough to bother me, so I always just thought it was cause I previously hadn't changed the strings for 6 months (eeks!) and it was just dirty and rubbing off on my fingertips.