If you like a certain type of music lets say...blues and you get a really good chance to play in a very well off metal band. It's not your type of music but the band gigs all the time, makes money, has fun, and there is a great devoted fan base for the band. At what point do you say that its too much and you draw the line. Im not saying it has to be blues to metal but im saying any style to any drastically different style. Is there a point when you sacrifice your personal musical preferences to be a part of something great? Or is there a time when it gets to be too drastic of a change? would you join a band that plays music outside of your comfort zone?
I think as long as I'm having fun it shouldn't matter. When it stops being fun, I stop.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I have done that once (without the constant gigging and money) and even though it took me awhile I really started to enjoy it. I was forced to alter my approach to playing and I got a lot out of it.

EDIT: But could I make a "career" out of playing that style? I don't know. I probably could if I had projects more suited to my preferences on the side.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but heavy metal has some roots in blues (ohai Black Sabbath).

In any case, TooFast is right. When it stops being fun and is more of a hassle than anything else, that's when you stop.
Quote by super singin
If you like a certain type of music lets say...blues and you get a really good chance to play in a very well off metal band. It's not your type of music but the band gigs all the time, makes money, has fun, and there is a great devoted fan base for the band. At what point do you say that its too much and you draw the line. Im not saying it has to be blues to metal but im saying any style to any drastically different style. Is there a point when you sacrifice your personal musical preferences to be a part of something great? Or is there a time when it gets to be too drastic of a change? would you join a band that plays music outside of your comfort zone?

I've played in bands that play pop, cumbias, rancheras and stuff like that even though I never listen to that kind of music. As long as it's fun to play with them.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
i think if you're enjoying yourself then it should be fine.
now say you have a deep loathing of metal but you love blues, you shouldn't give up your musical preference just to be in a band
OMG...i'm a girl.

GOO INDIGO TEAM!

X
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Correct me if I'm wrong, but heavy metal has some roots in blues (ohai Black Sabbath).

Metal has A LOT of roots in all kinds of genres, from blues to funk rock. Point is, it's evolved into a completely different genre and a completely different playing style.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Hell, if it's fun I'll play it. The only problem I have with it is if I dont know how to play it, how am I going to play it?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

become rich and famous and then branch off and do the thing you want as a side project. since you have such a huge fanbase people are bound to give your new stuff a listen. some may not like it but some will and your still rich so it doesn't matter and your atleast doing something you love.
God damn it, I thought this thread was going to be about sex or masturbation...

If I liked the music, then I'd play... if I didn't, the hell with it.
I got to talk to Henrik Kligenberg of Sonata Arctica once and I asked him for advice with a music career. He's a succesfull musician and he told me that it's great to play in a group, even if it's not your thing, because down the road it will open doors to what you really want.

So yea, there's my 2 cents.
Yeah it really depends if you enjoy it or not. If you're leaving your chosen genre because of the money and fan base, that is selling out. If not, then you're all good, but that's where the "selling out" confusion stems from.
The farthest I've played from my norm was playing in the church band. Just mellow Christian rock stuff. That wasn't too bad and I always had a good time.

I played in a punk band with a couple buddies from Ft. Wainwright before they were sent to sand camp. I can't stand punk but I always had a blast getting absolutely hammered and tearing the roof off his garage. They get back in a month and I can't wait to jam out again.

Other than that I've always stuck to progressive/death/doom metal kind of stuff. Its what I'm best at and what interests me the most. Either way, jamming is jamming.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately