Hey guys (sorry I'm making lots of threads)
Google isnt working for me, and I was wondering if its possible to get black coloured strings for my bass?
I think they would look absolutely awesome on the right guitar, and I could have sworn I've seen them before, but my memory isnt the way it used to be. Help a n00b out?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

yea i was thinking the same thing, i saw pink ones today on a guitar at guitar center. i heard u can get them for guitar, they would just look so much better on a bass tho!
www.myspace.com/getwellcards

"et quand le jour arrive la tourner el ciel et la tourner la mer et la mer eh ven embrasse moi et la deneh ve moi logis"
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I believe rotosound makes them but they are nylon which certainly sounds different but good in their own right.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
DR makes colored strings.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

Would the coating come off after a period of time do you think?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Yes. But Ideally you change your strings when that happens.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by FenderKid87
Yes. But Ideally you change your strings when that happens.

Ahhh but I would want them to be durable to a certain extent. Does anyone know if they would be expensive, in AU$
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Any string is going to have its limitations, no matter the brand. When they go dead, theres not much you can do but change them. Looks like AU$ 60ish for those strings.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

I got some DR Red Devils from eBay for about $55. They're good but after a couple of weeks the paint (?) started to come off near where i pick. Don't know if that'll happen if you play fingerstyle though.
The tone is nothing special, but not too bad either.
Quote by fishbass
I got some DR Red Devils from eBay for about $55. They're good but after a couple of weeks the paint (?) started to come off near where i pick. Don't know if that'll happen if you play fingerstyle though.
The tone is nothing special, but not too bad either.

The color does come off the strings playing fingerstyle too, but it was pushing on like a month or so when I started noticing a loss in coloration, and by then it was new string time anyway. I used the DR Black Beauties for a while and can say that they sound just as good as the Lo-Riders and what not. I got a slightly smoother tone out of them if my memory is serving me correctly.
Just get strings that sound great. The novelty of coloured strings will wear of very quickly.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Coloured strings seem pretty pointless really, all you'd be doing was wasting your money.

Afterall whos going to look at the colour of your strings and think "wow, black strings pretty hardcore"
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
The DR black beauties are the best sounding strings I've played, AND they look way hardcore.
Quote by Rywad
Coloured strings seem pretty pointless really, all you'd be doing was wasting your money.

Afterall whos going to look at the colour of your strings and think "wow, black strings pretty hardcore"

i have DR black beauties on my black bass. i must say it looked awsome but after idk maybe 1-2 months the paint starts to go away and then it looks stupid. so yea they are a complete waste of cash if you just want them for the color, but lucky my strings still sound good.
Last edited by fury4string at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by Rywad

I look at John Entwistle's gold strings and think "wow, gold strings pretty hardcore." I guess his playing might have something to do with that. Whatever.
Quote by the_woof
I look at John Entwistle's gold strings and think "wow, gold strings pretty hardcore." I guess his playing might have something to do with that. Whatever.

The bass he's using might have something to do with that too
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

dr makes coated coloured strings. however, the coating negates the ability to ground properly thru your stings. so unless you're touching the bridge at all times, your guitar will end up being pretty noisy.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
dr makes coated coloured strings. however, the coating negates the ability to ground properly thru your stings. so unless you're touching the bridge at all times, your guitar will end up being pretty noisy.

Um...if you are acting as the ground for your guitar or there is any current running through your strings, then you are risking serious electrocution and should get your instrument checked by a professional.
Quote by to_the_grave
Um...if you are acting as the ground for your guitar or there is any current running through your strings, then you are risking serious electrocution and should get your instrument checked by a professional.

Theres a grounding wire going from the bridge of the bass to the jack which then goes to the wall sockets earth connection through the lead and the amp.

And well the strings are metal and on the metal bridge so you are grounding the bass as the strings themselves are grounded to the socket. And grounding wire doesn't have any electrical current running through it, its just in case of a power surge or something and the strings are effecting by it, it will be grounded through you and the plug socket.

EDIT: Thats pretty confusing to read but you get the idea of what I mean.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Guitars dont ground through the strings because if they did and there was a power surge, you would get electrocuted.

I have the black strings on my bass, and there is no buzz.
I reckon its impossible to get electrocuted by your bass at all even if your amp was faulty.. Total bs
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

You can't get electrocuted from an earthing wire!!!!

Understand what I write! Even kitchen sinks in houses are earthed to the ground same with pipe work, it just insures if there is an electrical fault that YOU won't get electrocuted.

I could go into real detail if you need it explaining further...
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Unless you're playing in the tub, theres usually not a big risk of being electrocuted.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Quote by FenderKid87
Unless you're playing in the tub, theres usually not a big risk of being electrocuted.

If there is a power surge? The bass is conneted to the amp you know. They don't put them on every bass just for fun.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
If there is a power surge? The bass is conneted to the amp you know. They don't put them on every bass just for fun.

There have been many stories of musicians shocked or even killed by ungrounded instruments and microphones, Les Harvey of Stone the Crows being the most famous example. He was killed by touching a live ungrounded mic with wet hands.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mguitarelectrocute.html is a short interesting read.

And to steer this slightly back on topic. Black Beauties will fit the bill. The are also the only DRs I ever liked. However for the sound and the fact that they last about as long as a set of EBs (much cheaper) I don't think they're worth the amount of cash for the "cool looking" factor.
Assuming the power surge doesn't blow the fuse in the amp. Granted the thing will hum like a mother ****er if it's not grounded properly, but the odds of it actually sending enough current through to do anything are nothing with an amp that isn't faulty and normal 3 prong wiring on the AC.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Quote by FenderKid87
Assuming the power surge doesn't blow the fuse in the amp. Granted the thing will hum like a mother ****er if it's not grounded properly, but the odds of it actually sending enough current through to do anything are nothing with an amp that isn't faulty and normal 3 prong wiring on the AC.

That is provided you havea correct fuse and everything is grounded properly. They do not spend time and money drilling a hold in every bass and soldering a wire tot he bridge for fun.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I wasn't saying they do... I was disagreeing with the guy saying that theres any risk of being electrocuted by a bass. The majority of those situations were back when a club owner could get away with having **** equipment. There's so many failsafes in a stage setup now, its unlikely to happen. Worst I've ever heard of is someone catching a shock from phantom power through a mic.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Dude it happens. Read Anarkee's post above for a specific example.

People get zapped by faulty gear all the time.
To get on the topic

I think that the coloured strings are only for the pros. If you have enough money to change them every time the colour stars to fade, then I suggest you use it. Otherwise, why would you need coloured strings if you are to have them for a limited period of time?