Welll... I'm preety satisfied with my C30... probably will want to put a warehouse celestion clone in to make it a little tighter eventually, and new reverb tank would be nice... but that is semi-unimportant now.

i'm running the OD channel with the pre on 12... and it sounds freaking awesome... BUT!

It needs some more grind to get me just into the heavier territory... As of now I can get some Van Halen 1-esque tones... I just want some more grind

What are some good pedals for 200 or less that can do me right?
use
the
search
bar

there have been sooo many threads about OD pedals. Besides, you know everybody will either recommend you a TS808, TS9, or Bad Monkey anyway. Go to a music store and try them out. If there's not a music store near you, look on musiciansfriend and listen to sound clips.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

HTH has been pretty helpful around here and I don't think I have the right answer as I'm not experienced enough but for $50 it is hard to beat the Digitech Bad Monkey.

there - better than nothing

see ya Highway! (nice gear btw)
I'd get something kind of different than a TS.
The classic series has some inherent mid frequencies to it, so when you toss a TS in front, it kind of makes the tone honky.
I'd look around for something with a more linear EQ curve, or perhaps just a nice clean boost?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I'd get something kind of different than a TS.
The classic series has some inherent mid frequencies to it, so when you toss a TS in front, it kind of makes the tone honky.
I'd look around for something with a more linear EQ curve, or perhaps just a nice clean boost?

I do not actually view (UNMODDED) Tube scremears as Overdrive pedals... more or less gain/treble boosts for solos... Need something with just a bit more dirt... something grindy, transparent. I'm looking ABOVE bad monkeys, probably at the more obscure pedals (Well obscure in correlation to online stores which do not have them). I like different sounding pedals, but those with a very sufficient amount of gain.

What about

Homebrew PowerSquealer
Fulltone OCD
ZVEX Fuzz Factory (I know its a fuzz but i'm looking for a different tone, and i'm wondering if I stick it in front of my amp and put the gain all the way up will it get me sort of a very angry fuzz?)
ZVEX Box of Rock
Radial ToneBone
Keeley Ts9 with Baked Mod
Cmatmods SignaDrive
Source Audio Multi-wave Foldback distortion
Vox Satchurator
^I've heard that those radial tonebones rock.
So does the OCD.

but, I haven't tried the others.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I have the both the Fulltone OCD and the Fuzz Factory, and they're great. If you want just overdrive though, the OCD is the way to go. The Fuzz Factory can give you an angry snarling fuzz/od hybrid-esque tone, but using for only that would be wasting its potential (and not to mention a lot of money.) Unfortunately I haven't had hands on experience with most of the other pedals you listed, but I will say that the OCD saved the more-than-lacking overdrive of my Hot Rod.
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Quote by PKTrono
I have the both the Fulltone OCD and the Fuzz Factory, and they're great. If you want just overdrive though, the OCD is the way to go. The Fuzz Factory can give you an angry snarling fuzz/od hybrid-esque tone, but using for only that would be wasting its potential (and not to mention a lot of money.) Unfortunately I haven't had hands on experience with most of the other pedals you listed, but I will say that the OCD saved the more-than-lacking overdrive of my Hot Rod.

no doubt I would mess around a bit with it.... hmm

Well from what I've been told the OCD is a very good OD but some say its over-rated... I do not doubt its transparency, but I could use a little more convincing.
Well, in the LP mode it's very transparent, but I like to use it in HP mode. That way it has that mid-boost, and sounds more like a classic kind of OD. Marshally and all that. I use the Fuzz Factory for my more modern tones.
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Quote by PKTrono
Well, in the LP mode it's very transparent, but I like to use it in HP mode. That way it has that mid-boost, and sounds more like a classic kind of OD. Marshally and all that. I use the Fuzz Factory for my more modern tones.

My Classic 30 nails all the sort of oldschool marshall-type OD...
I want some more heavy snarly modern tones... So It looks like I might want to get the Fuzz Factory (vexter series, Its the same box... i dont care much for graphix)
I got the vexter as well. For that modern gain tone, just max the drive and stab, and take off the comp and gate. Raising the comp or gate pushes the FF towards those velcro-ripped fuzz sounds. Sounds great through my amp, I'm sure it'll sound awesome through yours.
Any OD pedal that has a level control will do the job. When boosting an amp's gain channel it's the added output level from the OD pedal you're using, not the pedal's gain. An EQ pedal will also work. Although you may also want to purchase a Noise Gate because there will be added noise generated when using this type of OD pedal application.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Any OD pedal that has a level control will do the job. When boosting an amp's gain channel it's the added output level from the OD pedal you're using, not the pedal's gain. An EQ pedal will also work. Although you may also want to purchase a Noise Gate because there will be added noise generated when using this type of OD pedal application.

... Most OD pedals have level man....

I need one thats transparent, melodic, and unique, but has a good share of gain...
^Aren't fulltone OCD's hailed to be transparent?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Aren't fulltone OCD's hailed to be transparent?

yeah... but I'm doubtful of the amount of gain they have
Quote by Titans36
Maxon OD-9 pro+...

Take away the plus and i agree , great pedals though.

Also consider the Zvex Woolly Mammoth bass fuzz pedal, it sounds mean on guitar.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
I would go with a Boss SD-1 with the Keeley Stack mod. The OCD I don't think is great for what you want to do, I like it better for pushing a clean channel to get some nice OD sounds. The Fuzz Factory to me is a no-no unless you want a pedal that can make a ton of weird noises, but is extremely difficult to get a really nice usable fuzz sound out of it.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
I would go with a Boss SD-1 with the Keeley Stack mod. The OCD I don't think is great for what you want to do, I like it better for pushing a clean channel to get some nice OD sounds. The Fuzz Factory to me is a no-no unless you want a pedal that can make a ton of weird noises, but is extremely difficult to get a really nice usable fuzz sound out of it.

hmm... I listened to the sound clip and I was not impressed.... i need something with a unique voice... and ALOT of gain
Doesn't Bloodshed make a pretty wicked OD?
You could try the Krank Krankshaft.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Iceman 420
We have quite a few talented pedal builders in our midst, look around.

:/ not really looking for a custom made pedal...
yea go with the tonebone
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by Highwaytohell
... Most OD pedals have level man....

I need one thats transparent, melodic, and unique, but has a good share of gain...
Umm, yeah..... which is all you need to bring your C30 in "heavier territory". You should only be concerned with an OD pedal's amount of, or sound of, it's gain if you are using it for blues or classic rock over top of a clean channel. Which to my understanding, is not your need or desire.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Highwaytohell
I do not actually view (UNMODDED) Tube scremears as Overdrive pedals... more or less gain/treble boosts for solos... Need something with just a bit more dirt... something grindy, transparent. I'm looking ABOVE bad monkeys, probably at the more obscure pedals (Well obscure in correlation to online stores which do not have them). I like different sounding pedals, but those with a very sufficient amount of gain.

How about this. I build an od. In relation to an 808, it has a flatter EQ response and WAY more gain on tap. It also has a bass boost and clipping section selector. You can choose between a dual diode clipping stage, or an LED clipping stage for more boost. I tailored the circuit to be able to be put in front of a mid-high gain amp to really push it over the edge. Its very transparent, true bypass, and it can be tailored more to your specific sound, say $100 shipped?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
How about this. I build an od. In relation to an 808, it has a flatter EQ response and WAY more gain on tap. It also has a bass boost and clipping section selector. You can choose between a dual diode clipping stage, or an LED clipping stage for more boost. I tailored the circuit to be able to be put in front of a mid-high gain amp to really push it over the edge. Its very transparent, true bypass, and it can be tailored more to your specific sound, say $100 shipped?

You can build me a pedal like that for 100 bucks? Hmm... I'll PM you if I'm ready for that

But does anyone know anything about the Subdecay Blackstar Distortion?
Yeah I would be more than happy to build it for ya. I'm just trying to get my pedals out on the market, so I'm hoping that $100 is incentive for people to pick em up. Parts for even the most expensive boutique builds usually don't run above $65-$75, but they gain a fortune by charging a butt load extra for the name and labor. All of my parts are top quality, and I am now guaranteeing the workmanship on my pedals for life. I make roughly $15 a pedal, because I try including shipping in the cost. I'm building one for howey as well, and shipping it to Australia for $110.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell
As of now I can get some Van Halen 1-esque tones...

off-topic but don't leave out the flanger and phaser.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by Bloodshed
Yeah I would be more than happy to build it for ya. I'm just trying to get my pedals out on the market, so I'm hoping that $100 is incentive for people to pick em up. Parts for even the most expensive boutique builds usually don't run above $65-$75, but they gain a fortune by charging a butt load extra for the name and labor. All of my parts are top quality, and I am now guaranteeing the workmanship on my pedals for life. I make roughly $15 a pedal, because I try including shipping in the cost. I'm building one for howey as well, and shipping it to Australia for $110.

Dude, start your own business. If people know you're building top quality products for a fraction of the price you'll be making money like a fat man in a pie eating contest.

And Necrophilic, I have a flanger... Still have yet to buy the phase-90...

Well I'll keep in touch with you, becuase I've only got several hundred in the bank right now and i'm afraid i'll piddle it all away to quickly. I'll definetely have enough to feel financially secure (the old man who pays me does it in advance, so i get the cash next month). I like the way you sayd you'd eq it. tell me, is there a place or site I can go to learn to build such boxes?
Quote by Bloodshed

I'm interested in one of these pedals, do you take payments through paypal?
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
whats up guys, im new here and have been reading on here the past couple days figured i may as well join.
anyway, i have just went through the od dilema, i had a keeley modded boss sd1 that was ok but i wasnt crazy for the tone. i upgraded to a stock ts808 which i liked better but didnt have enough gain for me. after talking to an oline pedal supplier i was encouraged to try out one of these.

http://www.art-tone.com/item.asp?id=42

i have to say its is the best od i have had a chance to use and has all flexability youll need for tone adjustments.
Quote by ant5150
whats up guys, I'm new here and have been reading on here the past couple days figured i may as well join.
anyway, i have just went through the od dilemma, i had a keeley modded boss sd1 that was ok but i wasn't crazy for the tone. i upgraded to a stock ts808 which i liked better but didn't have enough gain for me. after talking to an online pedal supplier i was encouraged to try out one of these.

http://www.art-tone.com/item.asp?id=42

i have to say its is the best od i have had a chance to use and has all flexibility you'll need for tone adjustments.

That actually looks pretty damn good, might be a tad expensive for me, but I'm considering it now.
Nice to know there are still people who join this site and actually make good and original suggestions
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball