well at first i wanted the ex-400. i need a metal guitar, seems to fit the bill. active pups, explorer shape that i love. relatively cheap.

then i saw the fx260/ex260.

it's cheaper, and it's got a coil tap. i've played schecters with coil taps and thought it was pretty cool.

however i'm not to sure on the pups..and it has an agathais body (other has a mahogony body)...is that a good wood?...

could i swap pups on the 260 keep the coil tap and have a good guitar?

or should i screw the coil tap and save for the 400?

EDIT: while i'm here...how's a epiphone explorer compare to these?
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
i think you'd be happier in the end with the ex-400. the 400 series is great, ive tried most of them and i own a viper 400.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
go for the 400s. the models below the 400s are not good.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
ESP/LTD guitars start to get good at the 400 models. I own the fx-400 and it's a great guitar made from quality materials with active emgs. Definitely better investment than the 260.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
I have the 260 right now and its not very good, I would way rather have the 400 but I am buying a new $650 guitar in a month.
wow...pretty one sided argument...cool...400 it is.
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
I would get the 400. However 2 weeks ago I bought an Ex-351 (discontinued model) second hand for quite cheap, so if you want to save some money you could get one of them. They are better than the 260 and very similar to the 400 but have EMG passives instead, which can be better if you're lazy like me and can't be arsed to change the batteries every 6 months.