that you can easily say you like a certain band?
For instance, if I own a couple albums of a band and like the majority of their songs, I can say that I like that band, whereas if I only like one or two songs from an album, I wouldn't say I like that band.
What about the pit, when do you say you like a band?
yeah, i know this thread is pretty much pointless
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
when i spend money on them and actually enjoy it
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
4 or 5 songs, and I can say I like them, which yes isn't very good but eh.

Dial up and no music store nearby so I don't have many options.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
^lol

my muse obsession has been growing over the last 5 years..
newest band ive grown to love (like) is sigur ros. now i have just about everything
For me, liking three songs is knowing a band and liking six or seven is really liking them.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Quote by Dr Collosus
^lol

my muse obsession has been growing over the last 5 years..
newest band ive grown to love (like) is sigur ros. now i have just about everything

Sigur Ros pwns life.
If you can list maybe 7 or so songs that you know and have heard by the band, maybe if you know who the band members are, IDK.
After Ozzfest last year, my friend said his favorite band was Lamb Of God.
I said, "O RLY?"
I ask him to name 3 songs by them that he knows.
>_>

<_<

Im still waiting on him too!
He's such a hypocrite who follows his nose.
if the music grabs you and you feel compelled to listen to it out of pure self enjoyment and not because everybody else listens to it then you probably like the band...

unfortunately there are too many people in todays world who are all about liking bands that are popular and mainstream which makes me sick cause they all suck!
when you know you'll enjoy the song before hearing it, because you like how the band writes/plays/etc.
I'd say you should probably know at least a few of the members names... A couple album names... Own an album or two... Know a good amount of their songs. I'm one of those people who hate it when people wear band shirts, but can't name any of the band's material.
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

^ lol
i know i like a band if i end up literally buying a hard copy of their cd

sometimes i'll say i hate a band based on their recordings, then hear them live and change my opinion on them completely...or vis versa

just depends on how the music reflects my mood
lawlkyle
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
when you know you'll enjoy the song before hearing it, because you like how the band writes/plays/etc.

I'd say that's good logic, but I don't think I've ever liked every single song by any of the bands I love.

If I can listen to 10 new songs, and like 7, I like the band.
Or wait... heres a nice one..
Man is bored.
He walks into a bar.
There is a live band playing there for their local battle of the bands.
Man says, "Hmm they play some pretty good music, I like them!".
I'd have to say that you should know at least 10 songs or otherwise have some background knowledge on the band/artist.

What pisses me off is when people say they listen to a band when they can barely name 2 songs.
Usually if I have at least one album by a band (actually buying the damn thing) and I like the majority of it, I'd say I like the band. But there are some bands that generally use the same formula (AC/DC) where if you like one, you'd probably like all of them. That is, until they got too damn repetitive to listen to.
when i like a band, or when I'm a fan of the band?
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
I say you like a band when you hear something they've done and uh... like it.

There's no amount you must've head to like a band. For example, you could just hear "Mama Said" by Metallica, and say you like them. You might then realise you hate everything else they did, so you ...don't... like Metallica. But you could still say you like them.

For example, Janet really likes Fred's sense of humour, and his hair. They get on really well, but she cannot stand his daft accent. Does this mean she does like him, or does not?

Both.

I guess this is a case of liking some Metallica. But still liking them.

You do not need to be able to name anything, to say you like a band.

I could make someone sit down and listen to my whole music collection, and they could love it, but without being told, they may not know a single band they've heard.

So the next time they hear "Fairies Wear Boots" and remember sitting in my room, and hearing a band they can't name, playing this song, they may well say, out loud, "I LOVE this band" and some prick from the UG forums will say "O RLY?! NAME TEN SONGS, FOUR ALBUMS AND ALL MEMBERS!" when they cannot, they will be told they do not like Black Sabbath?

That's ****ing bull****.
Quote by Night_Lights
when i like a band, or when I'm a fan of the band?

well what's the difference?
And if the Devil is 6,

When I like a song or two.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by ealtdharkon

There's no amount you must've head to like a band. For example, you could just hear "Mama Said" by Metallica, and say you like them. You might then realise you hate everything else they did, so you ...don't... like Metallica. But you could still say you like them.

Bob:"Hey, do you like Metallica?"
Jim:"Why, yes Bob, I do like Metallica."
Bob:"I do too. I especially enjoy the albums 'Kill em All', 'Master of Puppets', and '...And Justice for All'. Don't you?"
Jim:"Well, no actually, I really only like their song 'Enter Sandman'. Everything else sucks ass."
Bob:"Then you don't ****ing like Metallica you like A SONG by Metallica. And that's what you ought to tell people!"

That's an example of something that kind of annoys me, is when someone says they like a band, but in reality they only like one or two songs by the band. Which I suppose is the purpose of my making this thread...
I agree with the other thing that ealtdharkon said though.
And if the Devil is 6,

Quote by theking182
Bob:"Hey, do you like Metallica?"
Jim:"Why, yes Bob, I do like Metallica."
Bob:"I do too. I especially enjoy the albums 'Kill em All', 'Master of Puppets', and '...And Justice for All'. Don't you?"
Jim:"Well, no actually, I really only like their song 'Enter Sandman'. Everything else sucks ass."
Bob:"Then you don't ****ing like Metallica you like A SONG by Metallica. And that's what you ought to tell people!"

That's an example of something that kind of annoys me, is when someone says they like a band, but in reality they only like one or two songs by the band. Which I suppose is the purpose of my making this thread...
I agree with the other thing that ealtdharkon said though.

Now this is the true difference of being a fan of a band and liking a band.^^for the kids up there.
If I've listened to at least one of their cd's and enjoyed it.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
If I can honestly say I like their songs consistently. If I like just one or two out of 30 songs, I probably won't say the band but that I like that or those song(s)
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...