Well, after heading to Sam Ash and trying I few amps, I'm definitely closing in on my decision for (an) amp(s). Most of the artists that I cover have American-voiced amps, BUT some of that use Marshalls and frankly, I just love the sound of British-crunch. I played a Fender Deluxe Reverb today and I liked it, but I for the American-voice, I'm looking for more headroom so I'm thinking of getting a used (maybe vintage?) Super Reverb from eBay. For Marshall gain, I'm thinking of getting the amp (circuits, transformers, board, all that jazz) from Ceriatone and getting the head cabinet from Metro to save a bit of money.

I mainly play things like Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan and blues-rock/hard-rock/southern-rock-ish stuff. What I'm wondering is how much gain the JTM45 have and if this sounds like a good rig for the stuff I play.

Thank you.

Edit: Sorry folks, looks like I wasn't clear in my post. My intention is to get BOTH of these amps and I'm pretty much decided on the Super Reverb (intending on getting that first), so I'm wondering about the JTM45 frankly. I looked at the 18 watt Ceriatone clone, but would that be loud enough for a fairly hard-hitting drummer+band?

Edit 2: I'm also considering an Orange AD30 and after asking around on the Orange forum, it seems like it'll be pretty good as well. So, Ceriatone Marshall clone or Orange AD30? Can't try them out, so remember that.

Edit 3: I'm also considering a Fender Vibrolux to a lesser extent.
Last edited by Iceman 420 at Jun 21, 2008,
Get both!

I dunno, I would get the SR first (probably not on ebay though, try before you buy), since you already have a pretty good british amp right there.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
isnt your classic 50 already great for all those styles?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

A JTM45 is going to be pretty hard to push to get overdrive. They have a lot of headroom.

You could always buy a Marshall-voiced amp...
My YCV40 has KT77's, which gives it a British tone, and then I stuck a 5751 in V1. Those are the two biggest reasons as to why it sounds like it does: a British snarling mean machine. I scoop the mids a bit on the clean channel, turn up the treble, and it gets a pretty convincing Fender clean - nice and spanky.
The Fender Bassman is a great choice if you're having trouble deciding between a Fender and a Marshall. The first JTM45 was actually a copy of the original Bassman circuit.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
get both!!!
but its gonna be loud pushing the marshall to overdrive.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Both!!!
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I would get the SR and keep your C50. That's a cheaper alternative to getting a JTM although less prestigious. It will look sweet having two 4x10's on stage together though. Ask darkarbiter7!
Sell the Classic, buy a Super Reverb and 18watt clone.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yeah, look into a bassman too.

^^Yup, having a pair of 4x10's looks cool.
Too bad the cosmetics kind of clash (CBB is dark purple, and peavey classic is blonde tweed). Oh well, they both have the tonez!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, look into a bassman too.

Lolwut! And have 3 4x10's. br00talz!
Quote by greggybhoy
Lolwut! And have 3 4x10's. br00talz!

Ppft. Naw.

I meant that the bassman was nice if he just wanted to get one new amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Ppft. Naw.

I meant that the bassman was nice if he just wanted to get one new amp.

you should get a bassman. i think you should buy as many combos with 4x10s as you can. haha
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^I should, but my CBB already has has a semi-bassmanish tone.
If I get any kind of amp next, i'd probably sell my peavey classic for a JTM clone or an AC30.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^I should, but my CBB already has has a semi-bassmanish tone.
If I get any kind of amp next, i'd probably sell my peavey classic for a JTM clone or an AC30.

yeah, i m glad im not the only one that think super reverb-type amps sound a little bassman-y. to me it sounds like a cross between a twin reverb and a bassman. its like the perfect combination of sounds that join together to get that heavenly tone haha
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I'd rather have a Super Reverb, even though i adore my JTM45's cleans. I'm probably going to buy a Super or Twin soon.

Besides, if you want a tone similiar to your favorite artists, like you said, they use more of an american voicing, go for the SR.

and the comments on not being able to get the JTM overdrive are a bit surprising for me, i'm able to crank the amp in my room without it being too loud, and it cranked all the way doesnt sound as good as i was expecting.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Sorry folks, looks like I wasn't clear in my post. My intention is to get BOTH of these amps and I'm pretty much decided on the Super Reverb (intending on getting that first), so I'm wondering about the JTM45 frankly. I looked at the 18 watt Ceriatone clone, but would that be loud enough for a fairly hard-hitting drummer+band?
I am considering a pre-built 18 watt Ceriatone now, but I'm still thinking about the JTM45. What's the difference between the 18 watt, TMB, and TMB EF86? And what about the 20 watt Lead and Bass? Does the 18 watt sound more like the JTM45/Bluesbreaker, or perhaps the Plexi 1987 Lead?

Edit: Also considering an Orange AD30. After talking with the Orange forum, it seems like a pretty suitable amp as well. So, Marshall clone or Orange AD30? I can't try out either of them.
Last edited by Iceman 420 at Jun 19, 2008,
Scratch that, managed to try a Vibrolux the other day, not my cup of tea. But I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place where they make replica Bluesbreaker 4x10 cabs.
Quote by Iceman 420
I am considering a pre-built 18 watt Ceriatone now, but I'm still thinking about the JTM45. What's the difference between the 18 watt, TMB, and TMB EF86? And what about the 20 watt Lead and Bass? Does the 18 watt sound more like the JTM45/Bluesbreaker, or perhaps the Plexi 1987 Lead?

Edit: Also considering an Orange AD30. After talking with the Orange forum, it seems like a pretty suitable amp as well. So, Marshall clone or Orange AD30? I can't try out either of them.

The 18 what is like a cross between a Plxi and a bluesbreaker had a but more gain than the BB.

the EF86 just has an effects loop.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
If you're using the 18 watter just for OD it would be perfect for you. With it cranked you should easily be able to clear a drummer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Bostonrocks
The 18 what is like a cross between a Plxi and a bluesbreaker had a but more gain than the BB.

the EF86 just has an effects loop.
No, the EF86 has an EF86. So another channel with hefty gain.

And the 18watt sounds like a baby Plexi.

And it'll definitely hang with your band. Get the 18w, the JTM45 will be WAY too loud to crank all the time.
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you're using the 18 watter just for OD it would be perfect for you. With it cranked you should easily be able to clear a drummer.

+1
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by MrCarrot
No, the EF86 has an EF86. So another channel with hefty gain.

And the 18watt sounds like a baby Plexi.

And it'll definitely hang with your band. Get the 18w, the JTM45 will be WAY too loud to crank all the time.

About the gain on the 18 watt, with an OD would I be able to push it towards Guns N' Roses-ish gain, or should I get the EF86? And what does the TMB stand for?
Well from what I hear the 18watt Normal channel gets up to Van Halen gain. TMB means it has the TMB channel which is the channel found on the Plexis, with the TrebleMiddleBass tonestack and more gain. The EF86 will have a LOT of gain. You need to figure out what channels each model has.
Quote by MrCarrot
Well from what I hear the 18watt Normal channel gets up to Van Halen gain. TMB means it has the TMB channel which is the channel found on the Plexis, with the TrebleMiddleBass tonestack and more gain. The EF86 will have a LOT of gain. You need to figure out what channels each model has.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the 18watt TMB. I'll just try and look around on YouTube to see the gain-levels with an OD and such.