Well, I hate my guitar playing right now. I really want to be able to play at, at least, 210 bpm at 16th notes but, no matter how hard it seems I try, I can't get past 100 bpm accurately. Even at 100, my playing is sloppy at times. So I've got a few questions here. Hopefully this can help me out.

1. Could being overly tired make my playing bad?

2. I hold the pick close to the tip and my thumb scratches the strings. Really I can't hold the pick any further away or else I just use more of the pick. How can I fix this or is this even going to be a problem?

3. I rest my hand on the bridge for a reference point. I don't push hard, I just brush up against it. Is this anchoring?

4. When I play, I don't think I tense up my shoulders at all, but when I bring my arms up, my biceps and shoulders feel somewhat tired. Could this be a sign that I AM actually tensing my muscles?

5. It seems to me that I can play MUCH better during the night, right before I go to bed. Why could this be and how can I fix it?
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Last edited by guitarist10 at Jun 19, 2008,
keep practicing... if you cant play 16th notes at 210 bpm, its not the end of the world.
1. Yes

2. Angle your pick so the "softer" curved part hits the string. It will make it easier to glide back and forth at high speeds.

3. Yes, this is anchoring. Some people prefer to put there hands on the body but which ever works. Others will say don't rest your hand on the bridge but, if you can do it without influencing the sound, go for it.

4. If your muscles are sore after playing, you're using them. This isn't a bad thing, as long as you don't strain anything. Take a look at your posture, make sure your upright and not slouching. If you're standing, make sure your standing straight up, feet shoulder width apart. No weird movements/angles etc.

5. Maybe you're just more focused then? If you're a night person, you'll be more aware at night than in the morning or afternoon. I'm not sure how you can fix this... it's not really a problem. Try playing ALL the time to even out your exposure...
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
To Jasonmetal Love:

That is an amazingly informational post and I thank you for that! Few people take the time to do stuff like that.

In response to your answer to number 5:
I have been playing for a long time now in the afternoon/morning aswell as night and I still can't get it right it seems...

What should I do if I get older and I DO get a band and I have a gig in the afternoon? I don't see what I could do about that.

Once again, Thanks a lot!!

EDIT: Well, yes, I AM a night person.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Quote by guitarist10
To Jasonmetal Love:

That is an amazingly informational post and I thank you for that! Few people take the time to do stuff like that.

In response to your answer to number 5:
I have been playing for a long time now in the afternoon/morning aswell as night and I still can't get it right it seems...

What should I do if I get older and I DO get a band and I have a gig in the afternoon? I don't see what I could do about that.

Once again, Thanks a lot!!

EDIT: Well, yes, I AM a night person.

Hey no problem. I guess get a lot of rest the night before and drink a lot of coffee... get yourself pumped up. I promise you though, playing a gig is a natural high and you won't be tired unless your on drugs or something.
Portugal. The Man »–
sounds like you are forcing yourself too hard. the key to great technique is relaxation!!! always make sure EVERYTHING you play is relaxed and comfortable as hell because if its not you are doing it wrong and need to slow down and relax. cya
Quote by guitarist10
Well, I hate my guitar playing right now. I really want to be able to play at, at least, 210 bpm at 16th notes but, no matter how hard it seems I try, I can't get past 100 bpm accurately. Even at 100, my playing is sloppy at times. So I've got a few questions here. Hopefully this can help me out.It takes some time to build up speed. I'm also still pretty slow. Keep trying.

1. Could being overly tired make my playing bad?does for me

3. I rest my hand on the bridge for a reference point. I don't push hard, I just brush up against it. Is this anchoring?Not sure. But your technique suffers if you strain yourself. Personally, having my picking arm float strains me. Some guys suggest resting the palm on the strings, some guys use their pinky to steady their arm. Whichever works

5. It seems to me that I can play MUCH better during the night, right before I go to bed. Why could this be and how can I fix it?Same. At first I though it was just me thinking I was playing better due to sleep deprivation. Than I read from a post in here that the logical side of the mind slows down, leaving room for the creative side. Personally I think thats bullshit. Just throwing it out there though