When I get out of high school, I know that I want to have a career in music. I've been thinking a lot about it, and I don't really know if I want to count on making money performing music the rest of my life. It sounds like way too much hard work and intense competition for me. I know that I'm good, but I don't think I'm good enough to rise up above all these other people who want to make it as bad as I do. So I was wondering what other music based careers can make good money, but not be as insanely difficult to make it in. Also if anyone could recommend me a good school/college to go to for these careers, that would be great. I'm almost 16, I'm going to be a junior next year, and I'll be a senior before I know it. I need to start thinking about this ****. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm a person.
uh, if ure interested in coming to canada there are some great like sound engineering courses that you can take
at this university near me, i think you can take a preforming, recording, management degree
which is pretty rounded and cool...
there is also a 3 year program in basket weaving which is pretty awesome
(not joking)
and this is a real university not some sort of dank basement get raped in the back corner set up
guitar teacher gets good money or u could make and/or work on guitars
i know its good money but maybe not enough to support a family on
(we had a project in school and we had to look up and find a job that we would want and think we coudl acheive and Guitar God wasnt on there )
Quote by InvaderTSN
Luthier/guitar repair would be pretty good.

This.

Also, think about giving guitar lessons on the side. A lot of music stores will rent out rooms to teachers. Lots of people want to learn guitar these days. You'd make decent extra money but it may not be for you if you don't have patience. A LOT of patience. For every hard working eager student you may have 5 guitards who have no drive and don't practice, kids who are elitist because they listen to Metallica or something, and the occasional snot nosed brat that wants to be able to shred without practicing. etc.
I'm a guitar teacher right now (16 years old). I teach at an academy. Just getting a feel for this career. It's NOT for everyone. It can get very tedious and boring even though you're working with subject matter that you like. If you're made out to be a teacher though, the more power to you. They make a lot of money! I know as soon as I graduate HS though, I'm quitting this job and moving on to something else in the music field.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
I teach guitar lessons out of a music store right now, and well, I don't think I'd want to make a career out of it lol. I make 30 an hour, but some of these parents are such assholes about payments and I hate having to deal with them. But I'll probrably still do it when I'm older, I just wouldn't want to have it be the main source of my income. What's Luthier?
I'm a person.
You could always go into the industry and work for/be the man. That way you can perform live all the time and you'll have all the hookups, while still working a decent day job.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Aye, with the guitar teaching I'd be a bit cautious towards, may end up turning your loved hobby into a boring, stressfull job.
Quote by jasonmetal love
I'm a guitar teacher right now (16 years old). I teach at an academy. Just getting a feel for this career. It's NOT for everyone. It can get very tedious and boring even though you're working with subject matter that you like. If you're made out to be a teacher though, the more power to you. They make a lot of money! I know as soon as I graduate HS though, I'm quitting this job and moving on to something else in the music field.

I can totally sympathise with you dude, It's incredibly tedious for me. I don't think I'm cut out to be a teacher either.
I'm a person.
dude first of all, you need to get out of your mindset that you are in which..." i'm not good enough, which career is easy money". trash that now before it's too late.

if you think that there actually exists a career that isn't competitive and is easy to get through, then you my friend are going to be in for a rude awakening.

EVERYTHING is competitive. the real world is so comepetitive it's not even funny. im not saying this to scare you, it's just fact. ppl will do amazing things just to get the upper hand on someone else. so you gotta bury that mindset and think of yourself as the best and go and perform or w/e it is you are gonna do as if your life depended on it.

with that said, if performing live isn't something you are really passionate about then being an engineer in a studio is probably pretty cool. not sure on the pay on that, but you have to be a real audiophile. but w/e it is you pursue work at it like a madman cuz no one's gonna hand anything to you.

/motivational speech
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by PinkIsCool
I can totally sympathise with you dude, It's incredibly tedious for me. I don't think I'm cut out to be a teacher either.

Looks like what you're going to want to do is try and get into a music college. Juliart, Berklee, etc. and go from there. You're probably not going to make it big with a band so, that's the next best thing you can do. Get a degree and get hired somewhere. Either at a studio, as a sessionist, as a stand in, etc.
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by PinkIsCool
So I was wondering what other music based careers can make good money, but not be as insanely difficult to make it in.

kid, no career that makes good money is easy to make it in.. especially a career that you truly want, you will find that the career you actually want to do, will be the most insanely difficult career to make a reality... and whatever career you ultimately decide to do, you will have to work, and work hard as **** to make ends meet.

but to try to offer advice... its all about making commitments and finding direction.. when you graduate high school your going to kind of need money. and you cant support your self with dreams and thoughts, your gunna need to know what you want to do before you do it.

if you want to 'make it' in music, but dont wanna play shows or anything, then what do you want out of music..
Quote by pepsi1187
kid, no career that makes good money is easy to make it in.. especially a career that you truly want, you will find that the career you actually want to do, will be the most insanely difficult career to make a reality... and whatever career you ultimately decide to do, you will have to work, and work hard as **** to make ends meet.

but to try to offer advice... its all about making commitments and finding direction.. when you graduate high school your going to kind of need money. and you cant support your self with dreams and thoughts, your gunna need to know what you want to do before you do it.

if you want to 'make it' in music, but dont wanna play shows or anything, then what do you want out of music..

I never said I don't want to play shows.... I'm in a band... I've had some of the most fun of my life playing shows with them...
I'm a person.
Quote by Sid McCall
You could always go into the industry and work for/be the man. That way you can perform live all the time and you'll have all the hookups, while still working a decent day job.

This is probably what I will be doing. I'm going to be a senior in high school next year and my drummer is going to college, I will be doing teh same program as him. It won't neccessarily be a bad thing, but I would like to work for a guitar company maybe
Quote by Sid McCall

I don't understand what you mean by this...
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
I don't understand what you mean by this...

Record Labels, A&R reps, etc. Working for the music industry/the business aspect of music.
Quote by PinkIsCool
I never said I don't want to play shows.... I'm in a band... I've had some of the most fun of my life playing shows with them...

ok, so if you like playing shows, and you got a band, then whats the problem in touring?
Quote by strat335
Record Labels, A&R reps, etc. Working for the music industry/the business aspect of music.

What type of shooling would I need for this?
I'm a person.
Quote by pepsi1187
ok, so if you like playing shows, and you got a band, then whats the problem in touring?

The problem is that I'm the only one in my band who wants to take it any further.
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
What type of shooling would I need for this?

to get a business degree for a type of program...I'm not sure what schools offer it. I know my local university has a well known Music Industry Management program, and it's what I'm hopefully going to do when I graduate. It's a typical 4 year degree with 2 required internships. I'm pretty sure there's a 100% job placement rating too.

If you're not completely against the music industry, it could be a fun and interesting thing to do while still being involved with something you love.
i'd think of just creating ur own record label for an alternate music career or teaching people how to play guitar if u have enough patience for that kind of job. but anyways just because it looks to intence right now doesnt mean you cant get better, in the mean while you still have two years till u graduate.
Quote by strat335
to get a business degree for a type of program...I'm not sure what schools offer it. I know my local university has a well known Music Industry Management program, and it's what I'm hopefully going to do when I graduate. It's a typical 4 year degree with 2 required internships. I'm pretty sure there's a 100% job placement rating too.

If you're not completely against the music industry, it could be a fun and interesting thing to do while still being involved with something you love.

I guess. You probrably need to have really good grades for that type of thing though. Which I don't really have lol. I've maintained a few points under a 3.0 the past two years. I'm going to pick up the slack for my junior and senior years though.
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
I guess. You probrably need to have really good grades for that type of thing though. Which I don't really have lol. I've maintained a few points under a 3.0 the past two years. I'm going to pick up the slack for my junior and senior years though.

Depends on the school. Do well in math (trust me, I SUCK at math but try to do well) and do well on the ACT. If you can raise your GPA a couple of points up to a 3.0 or above you should be set. Just don't puss out and take PE classes or easy stuff, 'cause colleges aren't in to that

EDIT: Your Junior year is the most important year of high school. I kinda ****ed it up big time but managed to concentrate and fix a few things before summer started. Just do your work and study a little each night and you'll be fine.
Last edited by strat335 at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by PinkIsCool
The problem is that I'm the only one in my band who wants to take it any further.

well you dont need a band to make music my friend...

just wait till you get out of high school... then youll find people who will be more commited to playing music, then having a job/school/ family etc.
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Jun 19, 2008,
browse around here if you want to know what some stuff you can do in the music industry
http://www.mymusicjob.com/
http://www.musiccareers.net/
http://www.music-careers.com/
http://musicians.about.com/od/otherindustrycareers/u/IndustryJobs.htm

that last one is really helpful
what i plan to do is get my buisness degree with a focus in marketing and while im going to sfstate im going to try to get an internship at one of the nearby record labels (the coolest being fat wreck records)
Dick+strings= owww
I'd rather fail in something that I love than succeed in something that I hate.
Go for it mate.
How long have you been playing guitar? How good are you? Know music theory? If your answer to the last one is no or very little then you should get that up otherwise your options become slim to nil for any decent job in the industry. Become a teacher (not guitar, classroom music teacher) like I plan to.
you could sit around at home writing shiit riffs for pop singers.
you dont have to do anything.. just sit at home with a guitar.
whenever someone buys the song or they wanna use it in a movie
you get like a decent bit of profit. you dont have to tour and work
yourself hard and all that. course noone would believe you wrote
half of it when it comes on the radio but still youll feel proud :]
man don't feel like you HAVE to start working in the music industry straight outta school...if you've got some other talent, especially an academic one, don't neglect that, I think you might be better off building yourself some sort of foundation to fall back on if being a musician doesn't work out for you. That way, the money doesn't have to be such a driving factor, you can tour, go for whatever the hell you want in music and if it fails miserably, you've got those other skills to help you get a job and pay the bills while you plan your next try. Don't restrict yourself is what i'm saying.