I walked in my local music store the other day and hanging up was a Gibson Les Paul that someone had traded in. It was originally alpine white, had the binding on the body, and worn-off gold hardware... so I assumed it was an older model Les Paul Custom. However, it had regular dot inlays rather than the trapezoid and the headstock just said Gibson (no inlays or binding)... like a Les Paul Studio.

I talked to the sales clerk to get a price and he said "$1,400". I immediately thought he was ****ing nuts because the original white paint had faded to yellow and was cracking everywhere, there were DEEP gashes (down to the wood) on the body, and the hardware had definitely seen it's better days.

When I asked him if he was serious, he said that the guitar was a 1984 Gibson Les Paul Custom Studio, which was "incredibly rare... seeing as it was only made for two years" so he figured the price was fair.

Is this guy bull****ting me or what? What would be a fair price for a guitar in this condition? I mean, it's thrashed to hell and back...

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-D
custom studio? didnt know they made such a thing. did it have the tribal logo on the headstock?
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
the studio was made to be a more affordable les paul, so y would there be a custom one?
sounds like hes BSing u to me.
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by GetOutOfMyYard
Why would you buy a ****ed up guitar for $1400?

I didn't buy it. I actually laughed in his face and left the store. The bullshit was getting too deep and I wasn't wearing boots.
Quote by ch0
Kinda like this?

Somewhat. The headstock was just blank with a gold printed Gibson logo, if I remember correctly. It had the stock gold pups in it and tune-o-matic bridge and a stopbar tailpiece. Nothing too special about it.

What the hell is that, by the way? haha
Last edited by charger356 at Jun 19, 2008,
actually the 1984 was only made for 1 year

anyway, about the price, they can charge it because someone will eventually come along and pay that much
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
I was just pointing out that the 1984 was made in 1984, and only that year. I can be a bit of a smartass.

But, I do notice you're also from MS, the only other one I've seen on here, and I was in that area a few weeks ago.
+1

Edit: I mean Brookhaven/Wesson
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by charger356
any pics of one or links to a website with the information?

He's just being an ___ and clearing up the fact that a 1984 can only be made in one year, 1984.

Quote by NudistNate!
I was just pointing out that the 1984 was made in 1984, and only that year. I can be a bit of a smartass.

But, I do notice you're also from MS, the only other one I've seen on here, and I was in that area a few weeks ago.
+1

He beat me to call him names.
Quote by TheProducer
He beat me to call him names.

Me too. I just posted a "response" when I realized it, but then he sent that message so I deleted it... haha!
i checked back and thought I double-posted, but realized what happened

bur for a minute there I didn't know what was going on
-Jimi Hendrix
That seems like the right price to me. I've got a 94 standard that's had a headstock repair and has been played hard for 14 years and it was appraised at $1350. Surely the rarity of that particular model would warrant an extra $50.
So Nate... You're from Jackson, right? Go to Lakeland Music and you'll see the guitar I'm talking about. haha
Quote by Roc8995
That seems like the right price to me. I've got a 94 standard that's had a headstock repair and has been played hard for 14 years and it was appraised at $1350. Surely the rarity of that particular model would warrant an extra $50.

I was only concerned about the price because I had doubted the rarity of the guitar. I wasn't sure if the dealer was feeding me a line of crap or not... haha
I think the fact that nobody has ever heard of one would indicate that it's pretty rare. If it's real, that is. It definitely seems like something Gibson would have done in the 80s, but who knows?
I'll probably go by tomorrow

might buy it

Edit: real info time

the LP studio's from 83'84 were alder carved top bodies (mahogony/maple came about in 85) but there was a line of custom shop studio's with same specs but upgraded materials and are highly sought after by collectors
it could be legit

*all information is from wiki and is subject to being WRONG. NudistNate! is not responsible for any misinformation from theses sources and any complaints should be discussed with such source.
-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by NudistNate! at Jun 19, 2008,
^ On the other hand, 80's Gibson's don't have the best reputation.

Actually, I wouldn't buy any Gibson post 60's really. They get marked up like they're something special, but they're really not. I'd prefer a 2000's Gibson to a 70/80/90's one.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
That's what I've heard, but I don't have any experiences to back that up. It could have been propaganda that got accepted as general fact. There's a good chance that its true, I'm NOT saying you're wrong, but i just know that's the accepted truth around here and I like to see to believe; so to speak. Also note that if the store and my info is correct, then it would be a custom shop model that would have better craftsmanship than the production line of that era.

I plan on going to the store later today and playing it (if they'll let me) and I'll report back with my experience.
-Jimi Hendrix
^Okay... Make sure you get a serial number and message me if you find something out. haha!
Last edited by charger356 at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by Kurapica
^ On the other hand, 80's Gibson's don't have the best reputation.

Actually, I wouldn't buy any Gibson post 60's really. They get marked up like they're something special, but they're really not. I'd prefer a 2000's Gibson to a 70/80/90's one.

I wouldn't disregard any guitar from any period. Some 80s ones I've played have been amazing. You just have to play before you buy, that's all. Regarding 2000s, I think in 20 years we'll recognize that the years from about 96 to 2007 were pretty bad QC-wise. The 08s that I've played have been 100% better than the 07s. I think Gibson has really turned things around and we'll start seeing some guitars from them that are actually worth buying new.
Go back to the store and take pictures of it and post them I wanna see
same thing happened to me at a sam ash in manhattan. i saw this rr guitar and i loved it and the color only it was really ****ing busted. the head stock was chipped, a lot of paint was chipped and they only took off $50 for that ****, i said **** it.
How can a 1984 Les Paul be made for any more than one year. OP's logic is severely flawed.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
careful it's not a fake. I'd directly consult Gibson before making any moves.
Quote by Dudage
How can a 1984 Les Paul be made for any more than one year. OP's logic is severely flawed.

When THE SALESMAN said it was only available for a two-year period, I'm sure he was referring to the Les Paul Custom Studio make of the guitar and not the year model.

So get the sand out of your vagina and quit bitching, you fucking buttshit.