like I'm playing the A chord, right? And yeah I got the strumming downwards all nice but when i strum up I'll only hit the first three strings or so, and when I try to hit them all I always hit ALL of the strings. God this is hard
Quote by Baldorr
strumming up hard??????
im more advanced than i though

I was perfectly fine up untill up stringing. Like I've been practicing for a little bit but I got alot done in a good timeframe...All up untill this..My new arch nemesis: up stringing.
Quote by Baldorr
strumming up hard??????
im more advanced than i though

No you're not. He's just new to it...I hope.
damn if you cant up strum then ska and reggae must be a bitch to play haha.
My Gear:
Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squire Stratocaster
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss Super Chorus
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by Regression
Mute the E string with your thumb.

Yep, this may sound hard right now but it's an automatism for most players.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
An hero.

but honestly,dont do it super fast.Start slow.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Practice... practice.

Try not to be all tense when you're learning it. Just relax and get the motion right.
guys guys, what the hell is this doing in the pit anyway? take it outside will ya?
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Tarts42
damn if you cant up strum then ska and reggae must be a bitch to play haha.

little known fact:
all the good reggae players actually do downward strokes!
Practice it slower. Make sure that your pick is parallel to the strings and that when you pull your hand upwards to strum that you hit every string. Play it slow until you get it 100%, play it faster, when you get that to 100% accuracy play faster again, continue.
If you still aren't hitting them all, you aren't practicing slow enough. After that, start practicing different strum patterns, such as down up down, up down up, down down up, up up down, etc. Think of as many alternatives possible and practice.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by cocacolabottle
Yep, this may sound hard right now but it's an automatism for most players.

Yep, it comes naturally with practice. And try different picks.

^ You don't have to hit every string all the time when strumming. And I find it easier to strum when the pick is at a slight angle
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Last edited by Chips- at Jun 19, 2008,
Awesome. Thank you very, VERY much people. I've been playing for about a week now and I got alot of things down but never attempted upward strumming...This is actually harder than it was learning the dreaded F chord.
Play more, strumming up and down, and then switching it to do weird strumming patterns is hard.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
wow, i never had to learn to strum, or breath
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Yeah like now even when LOOKING at my strumming hand I still can't get that damn fifth string..when I attempt to I hit all of them I end up hitting the sixth one too...I can tell this will be a bitch to learn
See I don't want to mute the sixth string because let's say I have to swtich these chords fast, I wouldn't have time to mute the sixth string you know? So I don't want to learn that way
When playing the A chord I usually mute the E string with my thumb.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
Yep, it comes naturally with practice. And try different picks.

^ You don't have to hit every string all the time when strumming. And I find it easier to strum when the pick is at a slight angle

Technically it's the correct method. If you audition or get tested on it, they'll mark you down for not having correct technique.
It's best that you learn the full technique when starting something like strumming too, otherwise you'll constantly find that you'll need to expand on the technique more and more.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by soho1234
See I don't want to mute the sixth string because let's say I have to swtich these chords fast, I wouldn't have time to mute the sixth string you know? So I don't want to learn that way

It doesn't slow you down at all, I naturally move my thumb all the time when I am playing, depending on the chord, what strings I am playing on, and how far I have to stretch. Just practice it, the more you do it, the faster you will get.
Quote by soho1234
Awesome. Thank you very, VERY much people. I've been playing for about a week now and I got alot of things down but never attempted upward strumming...This is actually harder than it was learning the dreaded F chord.

Ooh, you got the F chord already? Nice progress. I didn't get the F down till like a month in.

I had all the other barre chords, and rythm things down already tho
Quote by JilaX^
Ooh, you got the F chord already? Nice progress. I didn't get the F down till like a month in.

I had all the other barre chords, and rythm things down already tho

Yeah. I mean I don't have a job plus I wanna really practice this guitar rather than hangout with friends atm so..
Quote by soho1234
Yeah. I mean I don't have a job plus I wanna really practice this guitar rather than hangout with friends atm so..

Hah, been there.

Done that.

But, yeah. Keep it up. You'll do good. For now you should just play songs by bands you like, that's always motivating.