I've been trying to think of good merchandise to sell at shows starting out. Personally, I'm a one man acoustic band at the moment, til I can find people committed to playing the other parts. So financing is a lot more difficult for me.

The only thing I've really done is posters, I'm at an advantage at because of my parents owning a print shop. They also print my labels for my demo. And then I also bought some bracelets with imprints. I got them on ebay but not that many. Like 50 for $55, so I actually lost about $5, or more considering I gave lots away but it was good promotion.

Any other cheap ways to get some decent merch?
stickers stickers stickers stickers stickers.

People will stick them places. That's free advertising with the profit.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Stickers, badges, buttons, photos, demos with about 2 tracks on them recorded on mobile phones in about 2 hours
demo cd's would be the obvious one, bonus that you can get the sleaves printed cheap, your mum an dad probably have connections to get cheap cases too working in a printers

we also bought a bunch of printed tshirts, i think they worked out at £3.22 each (6 dollars ish) and sell them for £5 (10 bucks)

but you could probably get the tshirts printed by your mum an dad to save more money on that?

also, badges are a really great one, very cheap an always look swish

you can have alook at our stuff here

http://ourescape.bigcartel.com/products
Last edited by FuzzyBear at Jun 19, 2008,
Your parents own a print shop?
Can they do screen printing and can they get fabric inks wholesale?
If so, buy a load of t-shirts (don't pay more than a pound a shirt) make a screen, and print yourself some shirts, sell 'em for a fiver and you're making a decent profit.
Naw, in a 7k populated town, they're cheapasses. They do wedding invitations, business cards, local rodeo books... that sort of thing. Despite how I tell them how much that sort of thing is a dying art in today's technology and they need to consider opening up other options. It blows.
Quote by Shawnstoppable
Naw, in a 7k populated town, they're cheapasses. They do wedding invitations, business cards, local rodeo books... that sort of thing. Despite how I tell them how much that sort of thing is a dying art in today's technology and they need to consider opening up other options. It blows.

Still, they have printing experience, which is useful, and building a screen printer is easy.
It's just a wooden rectangle with a piece of silk (or other similar material) stretched over it, making a silk bottomed tray.