Hey,
I've got a music exam tomorrow. Quite basic stuff on scales, intervals key signatures and such. So is someone able to give me some common traps that could happen in an exam like this, things to watch out for, and a few tips and tricks maybe? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I guess, make sure you don't make silly mistakes. It's all pretty easy so you shouldn't have any problem as long as you know the content. Although if there's any transposing, make sure you do it right. Today I transposed a semitone lower, when it was meant to be 3 semi tones lower. Because we had transpose up a tone and I ended up transposing THAT rather than transposing what we were meant to! DUMB!

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Be aware of all possibilities. Don't take any shortcuts because if your teacher is at all like mine, they want you to get tripped up if you're cutting corners.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
DONT OPEN THE CHEST IT HAS POISONOUS GAS IN IT

and the golden tiki thing DONT TOUCH a mutha****in boulder will flattin ur ass

and third never ever ever ever EVER!!! LOSE YOUR HAT

o wait exam, well study hard and if u need to guess never put down c they will expect that
Quote by Mattalac
I guess, make sure you don't make silly mistakes. It's all pretty easy so you shouldn't have any problem as long as you know the content. Although if there's any transposing, make sure you do it right. Today I transposed a semitone lower, when it was meant to be 3 semi tones lower. Because we had transpose up a tone and I ended up transposing THAT rather than transposing what we were meant to! DUMB!

Yeah, watch out for transposing, if anythings going to trip you up, it will be that.
Make sure the stalk is going the right way (and the right way around)
For writing the minor scales (harmonic and melodic) with a key signature don't forget to write in the accidentals.
When writing out notes, dont forget to group them correctly. Eg. In 4/4 dont write a crotchet, minum, crotchet (1/4, 1/2, 1/4). As the minum goes across beats two and three, it's better to tie two crotches/quarter notes.
Quote by tyler_j
Hey,
I've got a music exam tomorrow. Quite basic stuff on scales, intervals key signatures and such. So is someone able to give me some common traps that could happen in an exam like this, things to watch out for, and a few tips and tricks maybe? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
First off, the assholes that write the exams always include this trick question. If an interval is raised by a semitone, it is the same interval but sharpened. So if you sharpen a fifth, it becomes an augmented fifth, NOT a minor sixth. And yes, there are such things as double sharps and double flats, do not rule them out as possible answers.
Remember that each line on a musical staff represents a different degree in the scale. If your in the key of Bb, and suddenly you see that the Bb is flattened, its a double flat. Not an A. Also, if your told to note say an Eb diminished chord and the key signature is Bb, the notes are Eb, Gb, and Bbb (Not A). This is because the original major chord is Eb, G, Bb and to get from major to diminished both the third and the fifth need to be flattened. It is impossible for A to be the fifth of E in the key Bb.

That trap was used in last years school music exam. Heaps of kids got it wrong. Also, remember that theory requirs alot of maths, and its really easy to have stupid mistakes in maths (for my last maths exam I had 2*2=6 )
Quote by demonofthenight
First off, the assholes that write the exams always include this trick question. If an interval is raised by a semitone, it is the same interval but sharpened. So if you sharpen a fifth, it becomes an augmented fifth, NOT a minor sixth. And yes, there are such things as double sharps and double flats, do not rule them out as possible answers.
Remember that each line on a musical staff represents a different degree in the scale. If your in the key of Bb, and suddenly you see that the Bb is flattened, its a double flat. Not an A. Also, if your told to note say an Eb diminished chord and the key signature is Bb, the notes are Eb, Gb, and Bbb (Not A). This is because the original major chord is Eb, G, Bb and to get from major to diminished both the third and the fifth need to be flattened. It is impossible for A to be the fifth of E in the key Bb.

That trap was used in last years school music exam. Heaps of kids got it wrong. Also, remember that theory requirs alot of maths, and its really easy to have stupid mistakes in maths (for my last maths exam I had 2*2=6 )

?????? what the hell are double flats and sharps lol
you're saying that a Bbb isn't A what is it then
Quote by demonofthenight

Sharps and flats dont stack with key signatures. You would only see Bb written in the key of Bb if the note was changed in the bar and then changed back and it doesnt imply Bbb because of the key signature, because accidentals DO NOT stack on top of they key signature. If Bbb was there it would be written as Bbb.
Last edited by Captain Garry at Jun 19, 2008,
yeah "silly tricks" is what you want to look out for, but that just means that you really just need to concentrate and look it over. some examples might be, during intervals check the key signature before answering, if there are accidentals then look for them at the beginning of the staff because the could affect the notes you are dealing with......if you are doing key signatures then remember if they are asking for a relative major or minor, just crap like that
good luck
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
Quote by RCalisto

It's the same tone as an A... but it's still a Bbb when transcribed.

Quote by demonofthenight
Also, if your told to note say an Eb diminished chord and the key signature is Bb, the notes are Eb, Gb, and Bbb (Not A). This is because the original major chord is Eb, G, Bb and to get from major to diminished both the third and the fifth need to be flattened. It is impossible for A to be the fifth of E in the key Bb.

Demonofthenight is right on the ball, that explanation should be all you need.
If they ask you to invert an interval of a P8, it does not invert to a P8 below, but rather a P1.
12 fret fury
Memorize the modes. These can trip you up if you forget, say, that Lydian has a raised fourth.

If you've paid attention at all in class, there's no reason to get less than 100%.

But the greatest advice I can give you: Fried Chicken Goes Down Awful Easy, Brother!
Quote by 5/4
Memorize the modes. These can trip you up if you forget, say, that Lydian has a raised fourth.

If you've paid attention at all in class, there's no reason to get less than 100%.

But the greatest advice I can give you: Fried Chicken Goes Down Awful Easy, Brother!

Yeah, or this one:

Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle

and for the Circle of Fourths (or going the opposite direction in the Circle of Fifths)

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father

A little tip : When you're done, check every answer. I had a music exam as part of an audition yesterday, and when I was reviewing my answers I had a few really unnecessary mistakes.
Sharps and flats dont stack with key signatures. You would only see Bb written in the key of Bb if the note was changed in the bar and then changed back and it doesnt imply Bbb because of the key signature, because accidentals DO NOT stack on top of they key signature. If Bbb was there it would be written as Bbb.

Right. Composers sometimes use an accidental as a reminder. For example, if the key signature has a Bb and there is a measure where every B is natural, the composer might use an accidental in the next measure to remind the performer that B is supposed to be flat. If the composer intends a double flat, he will write a double flat. Also, a Bb with a sharp accidental is NOT B natural, it becomes B#.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by RCalisto

It's Bbb, you just said it yourself.