I want to audition for a music school in the area of electric guitar. I would consider my self intermediate-advanced. They do have a contemporary music sector, so some rock, blues or even melodic metal (nothing too heavy) would be good. Does anyone have any suggestions for a piece? I'm into shred (Vai, Satch) melodeath (Bodom, Arch Enemy), Prog Rock/Metal (Dream Theater) and rock.
Play a song that you know will impress, and that you can play. That being said, if you can play any vai or stach, that might be good.
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Tumeni Notes by Steve Morse. That song will impress anyone.

Either that, or try "For the Love of God" by Steve Vai, that has lots of legato stuff, then gets into the shredding later on in the song.
contemporary means jazz
music teachers wouldnt even consider rock or metal a genre of music
and blues is way to simple
so just look into jazz songs
i wouldnt know any because i play classical
Don't try and focus on a tecnically impressive piece... try to focus on a tastefull, well rounded piece that will allow them to hear/see proper tecnique as well as smooth transitionsal playing, dynamic intensity and above all, a proper sence of harmony.

I really think that the way in isn't playing Malmsteen fast... but TASTEFULL PROPER PLAYING.
Quote by jessed17391
contemporary means jazz
music teachers wouldnt even consider rock or metal a genre of music
and blues is way to simple
so just look into jazz songs
i wouldnt know any because i play classical

They wouldn't consider it a genre of music? Wow..... retarded much
hey man, when i auditioned for berklee i had the same dilemma, i played "surfing with the alien" and a chord solo to "blue in green". i did that satch tune because its a technical piece, its not too long and the professors really enjoyed it, they even stopped me and started it over so they could turn it way up, and the chords solo to "blue in green" i thought oppositely complimented the satch song. anyway those two songs and the sight reading, melody matching, and improve got me, but then again, berklee standards are lowering (not to bash them at all, berklee is a great place)
good luck!
Quote by :-D
I go to college with mattrsg1; for what it's worth he is the best guitarist I have heard in person, and in particular stands out from others in my age group. You will not be disappointed, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94
the school is mcdonald college school in Sydeny australia. It does have 'rock' guitar studies.
I'm thinking one of these-
'Cliffs Of Dover'-Eric Johnson
'Glassgow Kiss'-John Petrucci
'For The Love Of God'-Steve Vai
'Surfing With The Alien'-Joe Satriani
'Satch Boogie'-Joe Satriani

I have to play two pieces. Which two from this shortlist should I play?