about 5 min. ago I tried strumming upward on just a simple A chord and I generally hit the first two and three strings, maybe hitting the fourth string if I'm lucky. I got Am, D, Dm, E, Em, G, C, and F chords down but this is by FAR the worst. I mean this actually makes me NOT want to practice.
Stop crying, start practising.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I'm a man, I never cry.

Also, that should in no way bring you down. Man up, play it again, and practice until perfect.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...
Quote by soho1234
about 5 min. ago I tried strumming upward on just a simple A chord and I generally hit the first two and three strings, maybe hitting the fourth string if I'm lucky. I got Am, D, Dm, E, Em, G, C, and F chords down but this is by FAR the worst. I mean this actually makes me NOT want to practice.

Nope it makes you lazy. You don't just become incredibly skilled at something, you have to persist.
You gonna bark all day little doggie?
If you can't strum an A chord and you are already discouraged you have a long road (many, many years) of depression ahead of you. At least wait until you get into some fast stuff or something to get discouraged.

Edit: I just read your post and realize the full scale of failure it contained. You are trying to strum upwards by somehow you do not hit all the strings? The only things that are stopping your strum are the strings, and if they can completely stop it that means you have the arm strength of a fetus.
Last edited by GerGuam at Jun 19, 2008,
An unbridled rim job could possibly get you out of your slump?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by MetalNick
I'm a man, I never cry.

This.

And just mute the the strings with your tumb over your neck.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Quote by ytse Jammer
Nope it makes you lazy. You don't just become incredibly skilled at something, you have to persist.

Yup. I said to myself that it would take 8 years to get as good as I wanted to be.

I'm on track too!
just keep playing.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Just keep bashing those strings boy, and loosen up your wrist.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard