maybe he wanted to say which...anything 15-30 watt...(heard laneys had good cleans so it will make good dist with a pedal?)
The Cube 30x is awsome, better than any SS amp in price range becouse it has Tube Emulation... i had one... but I traded in for an ALL TUBE half stack...
Yes, the Laney (which has fantastic cleans) + relevant pedal would do the trick.

Additional: Just spotted your location webbtje and I know the quote well; nice one!
Quote by webbtje
I know SS is. What solid state amp is it.

The SS amp has transistors in it, not tubes.
Quote by ChrisN
Yes, the Laney (which has fantastic cleans) + relevant pedal would do the trick.

Are you sure? if its better and more adjustable than the cube i will go for that... How heavy it can go? will it go as heavy as children of bodom, in flames, bullet for my valentine,at the gates..?
The Cube and related modeling amps are not the best choices for professional play, but I continue to say that I wish someone had pointed me towards the original Spider or similar products when I started to learn, as it took me a long time to understand how the amps and guitars and effects and pickups and everything play a part in your tone... and this would have kickstarted me towards decent sounds a lot sooner. Someone pointed me towards a crappy solid-state amp and a BOSS MT-2, and it sounded horrible.

If you're really new, then I'd say the Cube 30X is going to be fun for you for a couple of years, and then you can always get maybe one-third of your money back on the aftermarket if you sell it. The tube amp, however, you could keep for life if you choose to - Laney's sound very close to Marshall's (was that the original intent, I wonder?), and you can mix-and-match pedals with it or even stick a POD or something like that in front, to get much better tone than a straight up Cube 30X, and you have the ability to keep changing pedals to find your tone, without changing your amp.

On a tangent about my 'professional' note above: I watched a traditional blues band setup and play last summer somewhere, all guys in their 50's and 60's, and I was shocked as I watched the guy lug in a Line 6 Spider II 2x12 and set it on one of those amp stands they sell on Musicians Friend. He had a preset for a slightly dirty blues tone already saved and ready to go, and man, he sounded incredible. Totally made me rethink my opinion of Spiders, Cubes, etc. They're perfectly great amps in the right hands.
Yea im not a professional just a home player for now but in a year i will be playing my best bands song and i want to get near their tone. Thats why i thought about going with a ss laney and a dist. pedal. you crappy solid state would sound crappy cos mt-2 also not that good and im not thinking a crap ss amp something mid-quality 15-30 watts.
Get the Cube. You'll be able to experiment with the different on-board effects and find out what you like and don't like so that when you do get a nice tube amp you'll know what effects pedals you want for your tone. Also theres really not a point to pedals into cheap SS amps, they just don't sound good because there are no tubes for them to push- they'll just sound digital and harsh especially if its an OD or distortion pedal.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by sdhupelia
The Cube and related modeling amps are not the best choices for professional play, but I continue to say that I wish someone had pointed me towards the original Spider or similar products when I started to learn, as it took me a long time to understand how the amps and guitars and effects and pickups and everything play a part in your tone... and this would have kickstarted me towards decent sounds a lot sooner. Someone pointed me towards a crappy solid-state amp and a BOSS MT-2, and it sounded horrible.

If you're really new, then I'd say the Cube 30X is going to be fun for you for a couple of years, and then you can always get maybe one-third of your money back on the aftermarket if you sell it. The tube amp, however, you could keep for life if you choose to - Laney's sound very close to Marshall's (was that the original intent, I wonder?), and you can mix-and-match pedals with it or even stick a POD or something like that in front, to get much better tone than a straight up Cube 30X, and you have the ability to keep changing pedals to find your tone, without changing your amp.

On a tangent about my 'professional' note above: I watched a traditional blues band setup and play last summer somewhere, all guys in their 50's and 60's, and I was shocked as I watched the guy lug in a Line 6 Spider II 2x12 and set it on one of those amp stands they sell on Musicians Friend. He had a preset for a slightly dirty blues tone already saved and ready to go, and man, he sounded incredible. Totally made me rethink my opinion of Spiders, Cubes, etc. They're perfectly great amps in the right hands.

I've got one of the old Cube 30s (not the 30x ones) and boy does it kick ass. Blows these Randall RG 75 amps out of the water. At least for blues-> heavy rock. Haven't really tried metal with it, in a band setting.

I'd definitely recommend the Cube.
I already have a roland micro cube and i just want to step a bit further where it will be unnecessary again for me to buy an amp for house practice. the cube has fine distortion level but i cant eq it on micro cube. i listened to my friends cube 20x and when he turned the mids at the eq nothing changed.. so i was looking for a more adjustable heavy distortion. where i can go from thrash metal to death metal etc.
Quote by blind.quardian
Are you sure? if its better and more adjustable than the cube i will go for that... How heavy it can go? will it go as heavy as children of bodom, in flames, bullet for my valentine,at the gates..?
Hell no. Metal was never mentioned before I posted. It can go pretty damn heavy, but I wouldn't say that far... not that I've ever tried.

Tbh, I didn't read properly anyway. I was talking Laney tube amp, not SS, of which I have no clue.
ow ok i just want to get a proper metal tone the bands i mentioned above and was just confused if i just buy a normal ss amp and a pedal or a modeller amp like cube...i want to buy a normal ss and pedal because i can adjust my tone better than the cubes **** eq...
someone answer me a ss amp and a pedal or directly a cube 30x? how is the eq of cube? which one will be better pedal and amp or cube?

something like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laney-LG35R-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481405 or http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laney-LG20R-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481403 with a http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339

or just a roland cube 30x?
Listen to everyone and just get the ****ing cube.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
As the one poster already stated,get the cube,find what you like and don't like,and get some tube amp in the future.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
I have a roland micro cube now and ok its distortion is well but i cant do any eq on it. also i have a friend which has a 20x and he opened me a microphone and played with eq of 20x and there was no change in the sound. im just afraid of this...does the eq adjustments really change something at cube 30x or its just useless 3 knob? cos if yes i will have to play with the same distortion tone everytime which i dont want thats why i ask for pedals.