#1
I was at band practice last night playing through my Peavey Classic 20 and we had just practiced the first song. I had turned the guitar volume pot down at the end of the song and was talking to the acoustic guitar player. No sound would come out of the amp when we were getting ready to start working on the 2nd song. Thought I smelled an electrical burning smell, then a pop, and a bunch of smoke came out of the top of the amp:



It looks like at least 2 small capacitors and 2 resistors burned out. I like the tone of this amp and use it weekly for practice and this sucks that it happened last night. There is a guitar shop just a few miles down the road that is a Peavey authorized service center. Should I take it to them or send it to Peavey?
#3
I think you should take it to the service center. It's not that big problem.
#4
i'd try the peavey shop and compare rates with the website
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
#6
Take it to the techs, you might as well. You'll need to figure out the component values of what has blown, then replace them. You may be able to do it yourself but you'd need a bit of research, and they'd probably have an easier time of it seeing as they're an authorised service centre.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
#7
Ow. Your filter cap there blew out and took out those resistors with it. Another possiblility, though less likely, scenario is that the resistors failed and that fried those caps, but it's a little hard to tell not knowing how the signal goes through it. Odd for those small filters to blow too. Either way, that will need a tech with an internal parts list/diagram for sure. Take it to a repair center and try and get the values, or perhaps ask Peavey for them.
#8
Ouch. Take it to a registered peavey tech.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
#9
Take it to the store. If they can't fix it, they'll send it to Peavey.
Sorry about your amp
#10
Thanks for the replies. I have 2 other amps (although one is just a practice amp) so I'll still be able to play this weekend. There are actually 2 caps burned out ... the one on the right of the pic exploded. The one on the left burned out through the top, so the shell of the cap is still there. Pretty weird, it was working perfect for the first song and I haven't dropped it or had it turned up real loud or it gotten overheated or anything. I take good care of my gear.

My father-in-law has a good friend who repairs and builds tube amps, so he is going to take a look before I send it to Peavey. I called Peavey too and they were helpful, and said if I need to send to them it probably won't be horribly expensive to fix as long as the power amp isn't blown.
#11
Ouch. Looks like you blew the cathode followers for the power tube. Those would be R21 and R22 that are blackened and C19 that's blown. The other capacitor on the right is C19, which is a little farther upstream, so you should replace R17, R18, and R20 as well since they're probably damaged. Your power tubes are toast as well.
R21 is a 220K resistor. The factory one was 1 watt, I'd put a 2watt.
Same with R22.
R17 is 68K
R18 is 47K
R20 is 220K.
Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more assistance.
#12
Quote by Roc8995
Ouch. Looks like you blew the cathode followers for the power tube. Those would be R21 and R22 that are blackened and C19 that's blown. The other capacitor on the right is C19, which is a little farther upstream, so you should replace R17, R18, and R20 as well since they're probably damaged. Your power tubes are toast as well.
R21 is a 220K resistor. The factory one was 1 watt, I'd put a 2watt.
Same with R22.
R17 is 68K
R18 is 47K
R20 is 220K.
Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more assistance.


Much appreciated, thanks for posting. I'll forward this info on.
#13
oops, I said C19 was blown twice. C21 is a cathode follower and is the one that's bulging.