Suppose I was to do this - would I lose any signal quality or have any other problems?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
go out the tape or record out (usually RCA outputs) to the back line inputs on the interface.

Its not ideal and you can't use the front inputs when selected at the back but yea it will work if you need to mic a few things and track them all at once...such as a drum set.
I agree with moody07747. it's not ideal but as long you use the correct outputs on the mixer (line out) and use the correct inputs on the toneport UX1 (line inputs) (see http://line6.com/toneportux1/specifications.html). You will need TWO leads between the mixer and the toneport UX1 if you want a stereo recording.

The problem with this setup is everything is mixed down straight to stereo meaning you cannot adjust the levels of individual tracks, adjust the pan, adjust the EQ or put effects on them once the mix has been recorded.

A far better idea would be to use a computer interface that has a multi-channel input, say 8 inputs or something like that. But of course it's not cheap so if this is the hardware you have and you're not willing to spend anymore then this will work but you need to very attentive to your mixer settings and make sure everything is perfect BEFORE you record.

Hope this helps.
Quote by moody07747
go out the tape or record out (usually RCA outputs) to the back line inputs on the interface.

Its not ideal and you can't use the front inputs when selected at the back but yea it will work if you need to mic a few things and track them all at once...such as a drum set.

So I should go from RCA on the mixer to 1/4 input on the toneport? I do have this cable, however, it is from RCA to 1/8 jack, with a 1/4 jack adapter. Will this matter?

So the UX1 has back inputs that I have to use for this setup (hasn't arrived yet)?
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by delcypher
I agree with moody07747. it's not ideal but as long you use the correct outputs on the mixer (line out) and use the correct inputs on the toneport UX1 (line inputs) (see http://line6.com/toneportux1/specifications.html). You will need TWO leads between the mixer and the toneport UX1 if you want a stereo recording.

Righto...so one is ok if I just want it mono? We are gonna be mixing most things by themselves, but may need a couple of mics for some things.

The problem with this setup is everything is mixed down straight to stereo meaning you cannot adjust the levels of individual tracks, adjust the pan, adjust the EQ or put effects on them once the mix has been recorded.

A far better idea would be to use a computer interface that has a multi-channel input, say 8 inputs or something like that. But of course it's not cheap so if this is the hardware you have and you're not willing to spend anymore then this will work but you need to very attentive to your mixer settings and make sure everything is perfect BEFORE you record.

Hope this helps.

Can we listen to it in real time as it is being applied and adjust the mixer that way?

Is there any quality loss when going between XLR - 1/4 - 1/8 - RCA etc?
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Not unless the RCA cable is longer than 10 feet or it's near current.

And you can adjust the levels. Still, a Firewire interface would've been better with individual tracks (adjust levels, pan, and selectively apply plugins after tracking).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101