ok, so i was on craigslist and saw a guy was selling a 1995 marshall jtm-30 for 425$
i shot him an email asking if hed want to trade for my 1971 silverface fender princeton amp, and he seems interested. i know mines vintage, but im really wanting that classic marshall crunch and this seems perfect. should i go for it?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

i'd keep the fender.
could you afford to just buy the jtm?
then you can have amazing cleans and crunch in one rig.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
honestly, great cleans arent that important to me. its just my other amp is a valvetronix, which can fake classic rock sounds pretty good, but really just is lacking in the marshall crunch territory, and thats the number 1 tone i want. how would the jtm-30 be at like acdc type tones?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

it would be great for them
AD/DC used marshalls (no idea what kind, I'm a death metal guy).
but i think you could probably sell your fender for more on craigslist and use that money to buy the jcm and maybe have some left over cash.

I'm not really experienced with the pricing of vintage amps.
But a 1970's Fender is probably worth more than $425.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
actuslly the princetons tend to for around that much. actually the guy trading is probably getting the bad side, because hes selling his cheaper than you normally see.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

well then by all means go for it!
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
yeah, if you dont want the cleans I'd trade with the dude...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

you might be able to get a little more than that if you sold it. but not much more, silverface, although some of them are really nice sounding amps, arent really worth a whole lot. if you dont like the amp much, might as well trade it for something you like more.
before you get rid of that amp, i would love to hear clips of it if thats possible.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Based on what I see them for used, you are getting the better deal. Provided both amps work well and haven't been raped for parts, and you are sure you are okay with parting with the Princeton's cleans, go for it.
I would never in my life consider this trade from your perspective. Your amp is probably worth about $100 more than his today, and will continue to go up in value. Silverfaces have been on the rise in recent years, and the Princeton is rare in that there's not a reissue model anywhere (I know one's coming). Meanwhile, the '95 JTM 30's value will remain static (if it doesn't go down). Plus, your amp is just better.

If you want the Marshall that badly, I'd get some cash from him to make the deal work. At least $100. But I'll be sad.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by chea_man
you might be able to get a little more than that if you sold it. but not much more, silverface, although some of them are really nice sounding amps, arent really worth a whole lot. if you dont like the amp much, might as well trade it for something you like more.
before you get rid of that amp, i would love to hear clips of it if thats possible.

heres a link to a good youtube vid of about the same amp.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qcgcmm57if0

as you can see, nice, but not really my vibe.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by slatsmania
I would never in my life consider this trade from your perspective. Your amp is probably worth about $100 more than his today, and will continue to go up in value. Silverfaces have been on the rise in recent years, and the Princeton is rare in that there's not a reissue model anywhere (I know one's coming). Meanwhile, the '95 JTM 30's value will remain static (if it doesn't go down). Plus, your amp is just better.

If you want the Marshall that badly, I'd get some cash from him to make the deal work. At least $100. But I'll be sad.

LISTEN TO SLATS!

Dude have you ever thought of buying an overdrive pedal? Those old Fenders drive REALLY nicely.
Quote by marvelboy_04
ok, so i was on craigslist and saw a guy was selling a 1995 marshall jtm-30 for 425$
i shot him an email asking if hed want to trade for my 1971 silverface fender princeton amp, and he seems interested. i know mines vintage, but im really wanting that classic marshall crunch and this seems perfect. should i go for it?

ill tell you what, how about you just pay the guy the money and by the amp from him, and sell the fender to someone else, im sure you can get at least $500 out of it. more its you put it up on the 'bay.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Highwaytohell
LISTEN TO SLATS!

Dude have you ever thought of buying an overdrive pedal? Those old Fenders drive REALLY nicely.

ive run it with them before, and it sounds amazing, but again, im wanting the real british marshall-ish tube amp tone.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by chea_man
ill tell you what, how about you just pay the guy the money and by the amp from him, and sell the fender to someone else, im sure you can get at least $500 out of it. more its you put it up on the 'bay.

i dont know. ive actually only got about 300$spare cash right now, but theres a good chance ill win this weight loss competition for 700$ (like atleast 90 percent chance) at the end of june, but i might put some of that money towards a strat. now im confused. what should i do? but really im wondering, is the marshall jtm the amp for me? i really want those 70s hard rock thin lizzy/acdc/zeppelin/aerosmith/maiden etc. type tones.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by marvelboy_04
actuslly the princetons tend to for around that much. actually the guy trading is probably getting the bad side, because hes selling his cheaper than you normally see.

What? JTM30s sell for CHEAP around here. There was a guy with a mint one a few months back selling it for $225. I should've bought it, but I didn't want a Marshall tone at the time.

JTM30s seem to over heat very easily, so where ever you have it, make sure to put a fan behind it to keep the tubes cool.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well, considering im a bedroom player and wont be cranking it much (if at all) would it still overheat at low volumes?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by marvelboy_04
well, considering im a bedroom player and wont be cranking it much (if at all) would it still overheat at low volumes?

There's no guarantee that the amp will even overheat at all, just it seems to be a common problem with them.

I would just play it safe and put a fan behind it anyway, not like it's going to hurt anything and a fan isn't going to break the bank.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
well, i went through with it, and im very pleased. the tone is amazing, and what ive been wanting.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Awesome! Glad to hear that you like it!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com