Page 1 of 3
Ok, so here's my deal: about 10 years ago I bought an Ibanez acoustic and started learning how to play. Took a few lessons, didn't get very far, put the guitar away and forgot about it for a long time.

Recently though I've picked it back up and have been seriously enjoying it. Restrung it, bought some music books, and I've been working on it for several hours a day. I'm still a total noob and I still stuck; hell I'm still working out the first-position notes and my chord transitions are just horrible, but I'm having fun and I want to continue.

Anyway, I'm seriously wanting an electric guitar now and I've always admired and liked the sound of Stratocasters. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a new American Standard HSS Strat.

So, is it nuts for a sucky beginning player to make a leap like this? Would this make me a poser?

I'm 42 years old, I know what I like, I can afford it, and I don't want to make a purchase that I'd later regret. I don't want to spend $400 on a cheaper guitar but find myself always wishing I had bought the MIA real deal.

Any thoughts, flames, validation, or condemnation on this for a noob?
Pfft.. it's a midlife crisis. Splurge your ass off, but be sure to buy a nice amp as well. An MIA Strat through a Spider or a Fender Frontman is blasphemy.
if money is not a issue........buy it. keep playin and best of luck to you!
make sure your amp is just as good as the guitar.
buy a good amp first then get the MIA strat.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I would just get a Strat standard in HSS configuration, I mean you could spend $1000 dollars on an american strat but you will still get years of enjoyment out of the $400 version. Ive been playing for 13 years and i cant even afford one! Lucky....... but if it will make you happy why not.
dont get a fender
get a gibson there way better
and do your self a favor and buy the randy rhoads marshall
i played it at guitar center and it is the greatest amp ever!!
almost exact rhoads tone
YOU SEE US COMIN WALK TOGETHER RUN FOR COVER WERE TAKIN OVER THIS FUCKIN TOWN-PANTERA COWBOYS FROM HELL (OFFICAL LIVE 101)
go for it! American Strats hold their value better than the MIM ones. I would shop it against the American standard one though, as you may like the sound of the single coils over the humbucker of the the HSS one.
get a mexican strat, youll hardly be able to tell the difference between an american one if your a total noob

there still very good and quality proffesional guitars

just dont blow so much money on a usa fender

and for the love of god get a good amp
Quote by bls4life8
dont get a fender
almost exact rhoads tone

And why is Gibson way better?
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
if you're gonna get an american strat get a nice amp such as a hotrod deville, those are affordable and sound pretty good (with an overdrive pedal)
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by bls4life8
dont get a fender
almost exact rhoads tone

dont listen to him. and i think a MIM fender will stand up to an american.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Well, you might wanna think about getting a good amp, since most of your tone comes from your amp. Spen about 400-500 on your amp and 400 on a MIM strat, and replace The pickups. trust me, you'll get MiA sound at an a lot cheaper price.

Btw: Welcome to UG.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by bls4life8
dont get a fender
almost exact rhoads tone

He likes the sound of a Strat you fool, so he's better off with one..

Anyways, if you have the money, go for it!!

EDIT: And a decent tube amp, read some reviews for one and maybe try it at a shop..
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by bls4life8
dont get a fender
almost exact rhoads tone

how many times do gibson guy's hijack a thread. a bit of a inferiority complex? or they want everyone to overspend..........because they did?
Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it! Great forum you got here.

Quote by customisbetter
An american strat will make you WANT to play even more. trust me.

That's what I'm thinking; I know if I get something I lust for and cherish, I'm not going to want to put it down.

Now about the amp situation, you guys are killing me!

I know it's like anything else; you get what you pay for. But to start, I was leaning towards this Roland Cube 20x Combo Amp. I don't need anything super powerful for the hacking around in the house I'll be doing. I'd also rather start with the guitar I want and upgrade the amp in the future if needed. Dumb idea? Why or why not?

Here's my logic:

If I get the MIA strat now ($1000) with a $175 amp, then upgrade to a $400 amp in the future, I've sunk $1575.

But, if I get a $400 MIM strat now with a $400 amp, then upgrade to the MIA strat later, I've sunk $1800. It's a more expensive upgrade path.

Midlife crisis? Maybe. But I thought the Kawasaki ZX-14 I have in the garage was my midlife crisis.
Quote by ZZRIDER
Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it! Great forum you got here.

That's what I'm thinking; I know if I get something I lust for and cherish, I'm not going to want to put it down.

Now about the amp situation, you guys are killing me!

I know it's like anything else; you get what you pay for. But to start, I was leaning towards this Roland Cube 20x Combo Amp. I don't need anything super powerful for the hacking around in the house I'll be doing. I'd also rather start with the guitar I want and upgrade the amp in the future if needed. Dumb idea? Why or why not?

Here's my logic:

If I get the MIA strat now ($1000) with a $175 amp, then upgrade to a $400 amp in the future, I've sunk $1575.

But, if I get a $400 MIM strat now with a $400 amp, then upgrade to the MIA strat later, I've sunk $1800. It's a more expensive upgrade path.

Midlife crisis? Maybe. But I thought the Kawasaki ZX-14 I have in the garage was my midlife crisis.

Keep in mind that you could probably easily sell the MIM when you want to upgrade for $250-300 or so, making the different routes more equally priced.
Quote by lefthandman9876
get a mexican strat, youll hardly be able to tell the difference between an american one if your a total noob

there still very good and quality proffesional guitars

just dont blow so much money on a usa fender

and for the love of god get a good amp

This.

A nice Mexican Strat (or even Japanese) and a Fender Blues Junior would be a great combination. Or even an Orange Tiny Terror or Blackheart Handsome Devil.

And please don't get a Line 6 unless it's a Vetta, which I doubt you'll need.
i would get a blackheart little giant for a amp........nice tube amp and if you desire a couple stomp boxes. it's a great little tube amp.
Quote by edg
Of course not, get what you like.

Why would you even bother asking a bunch of kids here how your purchase is
going "to look"?

Ha! Good point!
Personally, I think that a MIA Fender would being "going to waste" so to speak, because you aren't at a point where you will notice or appreciate the benefits. And no, that's not a shot at you, I made the same decision and picked up an MIM because my ability and ear didn't warrant dropping the extra for an MIA.

However, the extra money spent on a good amp won't go to waste whatsoever, because you MUCH more easily be able to discern the increase in quality, tone, and features.

On that note, Long & McQuade just emailed me--my MIM Fat Strat is in. Time to burn the firewood Peavey EXP I borrowed from my friend since I sold my Epi too soon!
Ok, heres the deal. Try around and find the Mexican strat that you like the best. then buy it and replace the pups with gfs in a year or so. 400 + 50. Next, the same day you buy the guitar get a cheap tube amp. epi valve junior-150, CRATE v5-200 or v18-300, fender hot rod- 480 if you are feeling rich. you will be the happiest guitar player of all time. just make sure you like the mim strat before you buy it. i have played many and didn't like some, but the rest were swell.
Last edited by customisbetter at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by customisbetter
Ok, heres the deal. Try around and find the Mexican strat that you like the best. then buy it and replace the pups with gfs in a year or so. 400 + 50. Next, the same day you buy the guitar get a cheap tube amp. epi valve junior-150, palomino v8-200 or v16-300, fender hot rod- 480 if you are feeling rich. you will be the happiest guitar player of all time. just make sure you like the mim strat before you buy it. i have played many and didn't like some, but the rest were swell.

Yes, I would agree that in a year or so you should be ready to move on from raising puppies to actually having a girlfriend or two.

Quote by TheProducer
Personally, I think that a MIA Fender would being "going to waste" so to speak, because you aren't at a point where you will notice or appreciate the benefits. And no, that's not a shot at you, I made the same decision and picked up an MIM because my ability and ear didn't warrant dropping the extra for an MIA.

I hear ya, and that's why I'm looking for advice on the matter before pulling the trigger. My local shop has a black MIM Fat Strat on the wall I need to go take a closer look at.

And then, there's the USA-built Highway One HSS. But at this point, it's close price-wise where I may as well just go to the American Standard. What do you think of the nitro-laquer finish on the Highway One?
Quote by ZZRIDER
I hear ya, and that's why I'm looking for advice on the matter before pulling the trigger. My local shop has a black MIM Fat Strat on the wall I need to go take a closer look at.

And then, there's the USA-built Highway One HSS. But at this point, it's close price-wise where I may as well just go to the American Standard. What do you think of the nitro-laquer finish on the Highway One?

Some people like the Nitro because it wears faster and gives it a more aged look. I don't really care one way or the other. But I'd have to agree, the Highway One is too close in price to the MIA for me to really consider it.
nitro is all personal preference. I have a MIM tele and after seeing my guitar teacher's american tele with nitrocellulose sunburst (mine is also sunburst) I could not help but feel jealous.
TheProducer makes a good point on easily selling the MIM strat, so it is not a 'sunk' cost.

True the amp is equally as important as the guitar so don't go cheap there. Buy the right amp the first time. Trust me, I've been down this path and made my mistakes.

If you have the cash for a MIA AND a good amp then do that. If your total budget is only $1,200 then go the MIM route for now and trade up to MIA later. imo.

My MIM strat was $400 and worth every penny. On the same token, I've spent over $1,100 on amps and am constantly looking for the next better amp.

hope that helps

here is cool chart that will help you too maybe:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101934
Quote by jeffc313
nitro is all personal preference. I have a MIM tele and after seeing my guitar teacher's american tele with nitrocellulose sunburst (mine is also sunburst) I could not help but feel jealous.

A lot of the difference between the MIM and MIA sunbursts isn't with the finish, but rather because they use a higher grade wood/have to make sure they use a nice piece.

Same reason that an MIM cost $399 in solid and $429 in sunburst.

EDIT: Wait, American Standards don't even have nitro finishes though...I don't believe. The Highway One does, and the Deluxe...I think, once again.
Quote by TheProducer
A lot of the difference between the MIM and MIA sunbursts isn't with the finish, but rather because they use a higher grade wood/have to make sure they use a nice piece.

EDIT: Wait, American Standards don't even have nitro finishes though...I don't believe. The Highway One does, and the Deluxe...I think, once again.

i forget, I believe that it was modded (had some single coil-sized humbuckers on it) and i'm not exactly sure. I just remember being mesmerized by the finish.
Quote by jeffc313
i forget, I believe that it was modded (had some single coil-sized humbuckers on it) and i'm not exactly sure. I just remember being mesmerized by the finish.

Yes, the MIA sunbursts look much better than the MIMs. For one, it's a higher grade of alder with fewer (no more than 3) joins. I also seem to think that the MIAs have a 3-tone sunburst while I know the MIMs have a 2-tone.
Quote by TheProducer

You will see the finish types in the link i provided above. Also info on spec sheets on fender dot com but it is hard to do a quick glance.
Quote by TheProducer

Interesting to note that the MIA 3-tone sunburst is the same color as the solids, so I have to assume that the solid MIAs use the same grade of body wood as the sunburst, in contrast to the MIMs. The MIA Sienna sunburst is $100 more, but it uses a different wood variety (Ash, vs. Alder on the solid and 3-tone sunburst).
Quote by ZZRIDER
Interesting to note that the MIA 3-tone sunburst is the same color as the solids, so I have to assume that the solid MIAs use the same grade of body wood as the sunburst, in contrast to the MIMs. The MIA Sienna sunburst is $100 more, but it uses a different wood variety (Ash, vs. Alder on the solid and 3-tone sunburst).

Grade yes, but they still need to make sure they use a nicer looking piece too.

And I don't follow. The same color? As in when you take the pickguard/covers/neck off and look at the wood?

And the sienna is gorgeous.
Quote by TheProducer
Grade yes, but they still need to make sure they use a nicer looking piece too.

And I don't follow. The same color? As in when you take the pickguard/covers/neck off and look at the wood?

Lol typo. I said "color" when I meant "price", as in:

Interesting to note that the MIA 3-tone sunburst is the same PRICE as the solids, so I have to assume that the solid MIAs use the same grade of body wood as the sunburst

Sorry, my bad.

But yeah, since the sunburst shows off the wood grain, they have to be a bit choosier for these than with the solids.

And the sienna is gorgeous.

Yes it is.
Over here you pay around ~£50 extra for a burst MIA.

I don't really agree with the "I'm a noob so should have a cheaper guitar" mentality. People always recommend saving up for the best you can for audio gear such as mics, PAs, etc as it saves money long-term. I don't really see why guitar should be different - aside from the first guitar (for obvious reasons).

Get the MIA. And get a spiffy amp. Lots of 5W valve (tube) options are appearing at the moment.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Page 1 of 3