Page 1 of 2
hey i will ask a quick question... I dont like guitars with floyd rose cos i heard its hard to change the tuning and change the strings and tune the guitar well. So how difficult is it to do drop tuning in floyd rose than hardtail guitar? i traded my guitar which had a floyd rose with a hardtail guitar cos i thought i would need to do drop tunings and it would be hard... so what is the proccess of doing drop tuning with both floyd and hardtail?
drop tuning with hardtail. step by step.
1. drop tune.
2. enjoy.

drop tuning with Floyd Rose. step by step.
1. Drop tune.
2. retune the rest of the strings.
3. double check all strings so there all in tune.
4. enjoy

its not that big of a deal. if your have two hands, you can do it under one minute.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Here's the key thing bout a Floyd Rose. You don't really ever change the tuning on it. It should always be one tuning. Otherwise, you'll have way too much of a problem keeping in tune. Trust me, I own a guitar with a Floyd Rose.
Quote by blind.quardian
what about the string gauge? i have 9's atm can i do drop c? drop all of the strings

You could, but 9mm are kinda small for Drop C. I'd recommend you get a heavier low E, A, and D strings first.
Quote by blind.quardian
what about the string gauge? i have 9's atm can i do drop c? drop all of the strings

You could, but 9mm are kinda small for Drop C. The low E isn't really a high nough gauge to handle it properly. I'd recommend you get a heavier low E, A, and D strings first.
Quote by chea_man
1. drop tune.
2. enjoy.

1. Drop tune.
4. enjoy

its not that big of a deal. if your have two hands, you can do it under one minute.

don't you mean this:
1. Find an allen wrench, unscrew locking nut
2. Drop tune.
3. retune the rest of the strings.
4. double check all strings so there all in tune.
5. tighten locking nut
6. fine-tune your (flattened) strings
7. check balance of floyd bridge
8. unscrew backplate, adjust spring tension
9. check tuning again
10. enjoy

Quote by Metallist65
Here's the key thing bout a Floyd Rose. You don't really ever change the tuning on it. It should always be one tuning. Otherwise, you'll have way too much of a problem keeping in tune. Trust me, I own a guitar with a Floyd Rose.

^^ this man speaks the truth
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
your just going to make your life harder if you want to change tunings with a Floyd, and with out changing the spring tension and string tension.
Quote by angl2k
don't you mean this:
1. Find an allen wrench, unscrew locking nut
2. Drop tune.
3. retune the rest of the strings.
4. double check all strings so there all in tune.
5. tighten locking nut
6. fine-tune your (flattened) strings
7. check balance of floyd bridge
8. unscrew backplate, adjust spring tension
9. check tuning again
10. enjoy

Ya do know that Floyd Roses keep in tune better if you leave the locking nut unlocked, right? You jus tighten it nough so that it rests on top of the strings. This allows the tension to run through the bridge to the tunin pegs like normal, meanin it stays in tune way better.
Quote by blind.quardian
is it worth to buy a hard tail just because its easier in some parts than floyd rose?

YES.
Quote by blind.quardian
is it worth to buy a hard tail just because its easier in some parts than floyd rose?

If you're goin to be changin tunings a lot, yes. If not, no, get a Floyd Rose. I have a Floyd Rose, which I love. Course, I never, ever change my tuning. Btw, best tuning for a Floyd Rose tends to be standard (E, A, D, G, B, E). That's how most are set up. You could reset it yourself for lower tunings (or have someone else do it), but it's a pain. It's also takes like an hour with an allen wrench, a screwdriver, and very pissed off fingers by the end.
Quote by Metallist65
Ya do know that Floyd Roses keep in tune better if you leave the locking nut unlocked, right? You jus tighten it nough so that it rests on top of the strings. This allows the tension to run through the bridge to the tunin pegs like normal, meanin it stays in tune way better.

really? i thought the locking nut was invented to prevent string detuning after heavy whammy abuse.

anyway i lock my nut and i dont have tuning problems. but it takes me a LONG time to tune from standard to drop d and back, making it unconvenient when i'm practicing songs in different tuning.

eventually i bought a tremol-no and turned my floyd into hardtail mode and it has made my life so much easier
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
use one tuning man, but say u like wana switch between "D" standard and drop "C" u only have to tune your low E string so u can usually get it so with your tuning things on the floyd rose(dont know the correct term, yes im stupid) u can just switch back and forth with ease and not have to retune all your strings and crap

you can also use this eighth degree guitar black belt technique with the addition of a 13degree guitar black belt capo, to use higher tunings
Quote by octopig
use one tuning man, but say u like wana switch between "D" standard and drop "C" u only have to tune your low E string so u can usually get it so with your tuning things on the floyd rose(dont know the correct term, yes im stupid) u can just switch back and forth with ease and not have to retune all your strings and crap

you can also use this eighth degree guitar black belt technique with the addition of a 13degree guitar black belt capo, to use higher tunings

well you still have to retune the other strings. be changing the tuning of one string, it changes the tension on the bridge which affects all the strings.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Well i did it since i am was a complete noob let me say this. It just took 5 mins ..=) and i guess i have .9 strings and it was still fine no spaghetti strings bye bye to floyd rose then... never to see it again
depends on the guitar's hardware and quality. Locking tuners and a properly cut/lubed nut will help a lot in keeping a TOM bridge in tune.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
google "locking tuners"....probably anywhere from $60-$120 depending on size, brand, and material
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
i guess it doesn't matter now that you have a hardtail but the vintage style trem/bridges say like on a strat allow you to have the best of both worlds imo. You can set it up to 'float' a bit and stay in tune and change tunings much more easily.

oh, and i use the wammy bar a fair bit and i must say i don't consider my MIM strat to have any tuning problems.

sorry - i know. no help. Otherwise, i would say that a hardtail should stay in tune even better. what kind of guitar is it again?
I have a ibanez rg321ex... how can a hardtail stay in tune better than floyd rose? or did i get it wrong?
Quote by blind.quardian
I have a ibanez rg321ex... how can a hardtail stay in tune better than floyd rose? or did i get it wrong?

in general terms, a cheaper gutar with a hardtail will stay in tune better than a cheaper guitar with a floyd (unless u have cheap tuners on the hardtail) because it has a bridge that remains rigid and keeps the string in same position at the bridge. A quality trem won't have tuning issues as long as you know how to set it up right and dont change the tuning because it's made of more durable parts.
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
i have a question regarding my B.C. Rich Mockingbird (Body Art Series, Spirograph finish). its from the Body Art series and is a decent guitar, but i want to install either a Les Paul Floyd Rose or a true Floyd Rose tremolo bridge. can anybody help me out or point me in the right direction?
I have a floyd rose. I got tired of the action being affected by tuning, or worrying what combo of spring tension worked. I put a small wood block in the back where the springs attach to stop my tremolo from bending either up or down. Now it plays like a hardtail, sustain is much better, action is consistent regardless of tuning, bends are easier and don't lift the bridge, and I still have the luxury of using the fine tuning pegs on the bridge.

I keep mine tuned 1/2 step down, and I generally keep the low E and A string locknut loosened enough to allow the strings to slide if I want to quickly tune the E string to a drop tuning (Drop C#, I guess, halfway between KSE and Tool)

I use 10's.
Quote by Metallist65

wich is why I got several of them
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by chea_man
1. drop tune.
2. enjoy.

1. Drop tune.
4. enjoy

you've missed out the steps "get out your allen key", "unscrew the lock at the top of the nut x3", "re-attach the locks" and "repeat tuning steps with the bridge tuners".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
In reply to blind guardian -

First, locking the plates at the nut prevents the tuning pegs being used, so you can't do it that way.
Second, locking the plates down often will put strings out of tune, but only slightly. so, you adjust it back to normal using the tuners at the bridge.
Third, the fine tuners let you make these minute adjustments again when you go out of tune just a bit inbetween songs, but don't have time to -

grab your allen keys
grab your tuner
unlock the nut
tune your E string
tune your A string
tune your D string
tune your G string
tune your B string
tune your e string
Retune your E string
Retune your A string
Retune your D string
Retune your G string
Retune your B string
Retune your e string
Lock the nut back up
Fine tune your E string
Fine tune your A string
Fine tune your D string
Fine tune your G string
Fine tune your B string
Fine tune your e string

As for the guy saying the plates are supposed to only rest on the strings... I am forced to laugh at you. Strings are prone to slipping and stretching at the headstock and at the nut. So they clamp them at the nut. Because between the nut and the bridge, there's nothing for the strings to stick on. And why would it be called a "LOCK/ING nut" if it was intended to rest on the strings? That just defeats the whole purpose of them being there at all, as they serve no purpose.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
I don't have a floyd cause a) I think they're ugly as **** b) I don't wanna deal with that and c) I'm not a metalhead shredder so I don't really need one. I have my technique for vibrato, and I don't need crazy whammy.

to OP: Just get a digitech whammy pedal haha
Quote by Metallist65

Do you have any idea about what you're talking about? The whole point of the locking nut is to take the tuners out of the equation, you have a fixed anchor point that can't slip, therefore better tuning stability.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Do you have any idea about what you're talking about? The whole point of the locking nut is to take the tuners out of the equation, you have a fixed anchor point that can't slip, therefore better tuning stability.

agreed. o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by blind.quardian
So.... hardtail >> floyd rose? then

If you will be using multiple tunings, generally so. Both are great and have advantages. It depends on your playing style. If you are a beginner the floyd may be too much hassle. It's really a matter of preference.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Basically like everyone's said, both designs have their inherent pros and cons. If you're going to be fannying around a lot with alternate tunings, you probably just want multiple guitars. There's no crowd int he world who're gonna patiently stand their between songs well you tune your whole guitar down two tones- even if it is a solid bridge. Why not consider a 7 string? B E A D G B e, and you never ever have to drop D tune. I myself am a solid bridge kind of guy. Not because of alternate tunings though, I must say. I merely prefer solid bridges.
if you're playing metal, with droc c, and drop d, just put it in drop c, and put a capo on when you want drop d!!! and improvise for playing e standard stuff in drop d
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
If you keep the trem, you could get a tremol-no, which means you can change the trem into a hardtail and allows you to tune as much as you want. It's what I'm thinking about doing to my Charvel.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Page 1 of 2