it may be the volume swell on either his dl-4 or fm-4 (both have the feature)

i vaguely remember the song right now but it has similar effects to venice queen correct?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

It's a wahwah and volume swells.

"The main part is done with volume-knob swells, a wah, and a chorus pedal—but I used the wah pedal exactly the opposite of how it’s normally used. I raise the volume while the wah is in the full treble position, and then close the wah to its full bass position. Then I lower the volume and repeat the move on the next chord. It’s unusual for a guitarist to use a wah that way, but it is the way a synthesist would think. The chorus effect is maxed at some points, as is the Holy Grail, which is set to the Spring sound. The solo is processed with the stereo phasing effect from the Analogue Systems Phaser." -John himself about Animal Bar
Custom PRS-style guitar
'62 reissue Fender Stratocaster
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
It's a wahwah and volume swells.

"The main part is done with volume-knob swells, a wah, and a chorus pedal—but I used the wah pedal exactly the opposite of how it’s normally used. I raise the volume while the wah is in the full treble position, and then close the wah to its full bass position. Then I lower the volume and repeat the move on the next chord. It’s unusual for a guitarist to use a wah that way, but it is the way a synthesist would think. The chorus effect is maxed at some points, as is the Holy Grail, which is set to the Spring sound. The solo is processed with the stereo phasing effect from the Analogue Systems Phaser." -John himself about Animal Bar

Cool, so I don't know how the heck to do that (if I can) on my effect pedal

Any tips?

Quote by timzee117
it may be the volume swell on either his dl-4 or fm-4 (both have the feature)

i vaguely remember the song right now but it has similar effects to venice queen correct?

I guess, more of the single notes in the background during the intro.
an expression pedal is the pedal found on most multi effects units, because it does more then one thing. But in your case you might want to just get a wah pedal, and if you want to be a total Frusciante fanboy you should get an Ibanez WH-10. But i wouldn't recommended that
Quote by Ghold125
an expression pedal is the pedal found on most multi effects units, because it does more then one thing. But in your case you might want to just get a wah pedal, and if you want to be a total Frusciante fanboy you should get an Ibanez WH-10. But i wouldn't recommended that

What would you reccomend for a wah pedal?
The volume swell is created by having the volume knob on his strat at "0" and then slowly turning it up. Not by a volume pedal. So, actually, it's not even a pedal at all.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
The volume swell is created by having the volume knob on his strat at "0" and then slowly turning it up. Not by a volume pedal. So, actually, it's not even a pedal at all.

I know that, but he also says he uses a wah as well as a chorus pedal.

So I need suggestions on a wah now.

I'm just no good at this
Well, uhm, he uses the previously mentioned Ibanez WH10 that is rather expensive and rare.
And to be fair, that (and of course som clones) is the only wah that really has that kind of "synthy" sound that Frusciante seems to favour.

"Regular" wahs won't sound like it, and it won't really sound as a "regular" wah either.
Wahwahs are tricky, try as many as possible. Other expensive wahwahs, are the RMC wahs and Fulltones, they're great. I use a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe myself. But different from the WH10, they are a bit more Voodoo Child-like, so to say
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals