Looking to spend about -400 USD on a guitar. I play classic rock, and hard rock up to Black Sabbath. MiM HSS Strat, Ibanez 2EX1, or Epiphone SG-400?
mim hss strat - definitely go for this in my opinion, play around with a few and pick the best one
ibanez - never really heard of this guitar usual for harder metal sounds
sg - ive rarely heard any good things about this guitar until they had a pickup changef

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

mim strat......i like the sound of the g400 but the neckdive just sucks.
can a fat strat cover some hard rock well like Black Sabbath and Metallica? Thats the only thing I'm worried about. Always heard that a Strat is more for blues
the hss strat can

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

A fat Strat should do fine, especially considering you want that versatility. If you wanted to play more Metallica, etc. then I would say you'd something heavier. But if you want to be able to hit all of those genres, the fat strat will be great b/c of the humbucker/single/single combo.
Usually, anything with a humbucker can cover hard rock and metal. And given that the MIM Strat has generally better pickups than the Epi, it will do the job even better.

I've never heard of that Ibanez and can't find it in the '08 Ibanez catalogue . Could you post a link to it?
strat for sure. Some MiM's are better than others, look around for one of the better ones.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I would say the Epiphone... but that's just because it's more versatile in the rock genre (than the strat). Not to mention, if you buy the strat, you will have the hum in your mid and neck pickups... to which, you will really need to buy a noise suppressor or switch out the pickups for noiseless.

Stay away from that Ibanez.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
That Ibanez looks pretty good to me, at least when talking about specs - I have never seen one of these before.
I'd still take the Strat over it though, as it is more versatile because of the HSS configuration. Cleans just sound better with single coils than with humbuckers (as a rule of thumb, anyway).

The Epi is not bad, but the other two guitars outclass it, mainly because of the horrid Epiphone stock pickups.
Hmm... so If i buy the Strat, I'll have to spend even more to get rid of the hum
Quote by heyguys
Hmm... so If i buy the Strat, I'll have to spend even more to get rid of the hum

No, no. If you get the HSS Strat, the bridge pickup (a humbucker) won't hum, so it's a good option if you wanted to go heavier--because humbuckers do heavier better and the high gain won't exaggerate the hum, because it won't be there.
go with the sg, it's extremely versatile, plus as far as epiphones go, the sg is one of the better choices, some of the les pauls have been a little sub-par that I've played.

I've always thought the mim strat didn't have a lot of range, that could just be me though, I hate the idea of never getting away from the twangy tone.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
K thx; I'll try out all the Strats at GC this weekend. Probably be taking home a Arctic White Fat Strat with a maple neck, that thing looks so sweet
Quote by heyguys

It hums only when using the single coils, and it's barely noticable unless you use lot's of gain. You probably will use them for cleans most of the time anyway, just because hi-gain settings sound so much better through the humbucker.

Seriously, the hum is one of the last things to worry about. Many people use single coil guitars, and it doesn't bother them.

EDIT: Beaten to it by three minutes. Wow, I'm slow today.
Quote by Rufiothebandito
go with the sg, it's extremely versatile, plus as far as epiphones go, the sg is one of the better choices, some of the les pauls have been a little sub-par that I've played.

I've always thought the mim strat didn't have a lot of range, that could just be me though, I hate the idea of never getting away from the twangy tone.

He's thinking about an HSS though, much less twang with the humbucker.

Quote by heyguys
K thx; I'll try out all the Strats at GC this weekend. Probably be taking home a Arctic White Fat Strat with a maple neck, that thing looks so sweet

If you put a brown/red tortoise shell pickguard on it I will shed a tear of happiness in your name.

Quote by TheQuailman
It hums only when using the single coils, and it's barely noticable unless you use lot's of gain. You probably will use them for cleans most of the time anyway, just because hi-gain settings sound so much better through the humbucker.

Seriously, the hum is one of the last things to worry about. Many people use single coil guitars, and it doesn't bother them.

Yeah, complaining about the hum is as frivolous as the guy around here who said that some people don't like the warm up time on tubes amps. Seriously, how big of a deal could it be? Haha.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 19, 2008,
get a HSS strat

and do a small rewire so that the second tone knob controls the tone of the humbucker instead of the middle single coil, and you're set.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by lithium26
get a HSS strat

and do a small rewire so that the second tone knob controls the tone of the humbucker instead of the middle single coil, and you're set.

Also a great idea.

Like this:

http://www.bothners.co.za/articles/hotrodstrat4.shtml

Except with a humbucker instead of a single coil. Don't have any schematics for that exact mod though. I would love some though
I got a RG2550Z Ibanez and I can play anything on this, blues, classic rock, metal. It does it all. But they generally used for heavy rock and metal, the better models are very nice. To me this is a bad comparison, strats to gibson; yes. Ibanex to ESP or Jackson; yes. Hopefully I make sense???? . If I had a pick of a mint strat vs my Ibanez, strat is a classic! And the thought of owning a Strat and bragging is more understood to non-music peeps then saying u got an Ibanez...
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
I dunno what's up with all the Epi hating. My G-400 was far better playing and more versatile than any of the MIM Strats I played at GC.
Why don't you go play hide and go fuck yourself?
Oh yeah, and my Strat hums ridiculously when I turn the amp past 4.
Why don't you go play hide and go fuck yourself?
Quote by suicidehummer
Oh yeah, and my Strat hums ridiculously when I turn the amp past 4.

It's a Squier. Not the same thing.
idk about the rest of you ppl but i find the sg much easier playing then strats. for some reason i just hate the neck on the strat. and i find it more difficult to do a harmonic pinch on the strat and easier to shred. the sg also has a more punchier sound