Combo?
Half Stack?

Are either any good? Which is best for the money? Is it worth selling my amp (Crate VC 50) to buy either of those? I play metal by the way, but still want good cleans.
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
I wouldn't get the valve king, or the half stack, but that's just me. There big problem, and with most Peavey Amps, is there speakers are not the best. I would have to say look at B-52, they have a good metal tone to them, with pretty good cleans.
Go for the 212. Plenty loud and less speakers to replace lol.

Celestion ftw? Theres a guy in the classifieds selling a valveking with celestions in. Have a look there!
its a good amp but not by itself. it needs new speakers and tubes, and probably an OD and EQ pedal. i run a metal muff through it and i think it sounds quite a step up from my old spider. im upgrading the speakers and tubes later with my next paycheck which should make it better.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
Well, like Ghold125, I don't like Peaveys. Mainly for the reasons he already said and cuz I had a Peavey Rage 158 that broke every 3 to 6 months. But since you want an opinion...the combo is gonna be decent cuz it's tube. 100W is pretty good power. The half-stack is jus the combo but it has more volume cuz of the bigger speaker. Idk. I wouldn't buy either, but that's me.
If you don't know what they sound like, try to go to a store that sells them and give them a good run (at least 30 minutes). Messing with one that long will give you enough time to try a bunch of different settings and to get a feel for the way the amp sounds. Personally, I like the voicing of the amp, and with a new speaker and a piece of wood to close the back of the cab it would sound even better.

Also, check the amp out on youtube for some soundclips and reviews.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by CobbZ
Go for the 212. Plenty loud and less speakers to replace lol.

Celestion ftw? Theres a guy in the classifieds selling a valveking with celestions in. Have a look there!

Wat?!!! Holy ****in ****! Go there, seriously. Way better speakers and better response to your guitar cuz of it. Look in the classifieds on site here, man. Even if it's costs more, it's a better deal cuz it's better value for wat you get!
Forget the halfstack and 212, the 112 is absolutely sufficient, especially as the speaker will need replacing anyway
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The 112 is also enough to drive a 4x12 cab. But if you don't need THAT much air to be pushed, a 2x12 cab can be bought pretty cheaply from Avatar.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
wait, wait did you guys even read the post.
hes all ready got a good tube amp why does he need a mediore tube amp to boot with it.

the valveking isnt ganna be much of an upgrade man.
just get a speaker change on your amp that you already have and swap tubes that all, and get some pedals to if your ganna be doing anything other than that i suggest look at a diffrent amp, dont look into buying a valveking.

if there is any amp worth selling yours to get another amp, it is a B-52AT its just a really great tube amp for the money and has some awesome cleans if you ask me. not just that but its really built for gain.

if you really want a good upgrade look into a new B-52AT 212 or a marshall 112DSL thats it really nothing much more than that, dont waste your money on another blah amp.
Last edited by the-kid44P at Jun 25, 2008,
i'd suggest getting more pedals + speakers + new tubes your amp is good enough unless you have a problem with it then by all means get a new one
Quote by DisplacedLogic
The 112 is also enough to drive a 4x12 cab. But if you don't need THAT much air to be pushed, a 2x12 cab can be bought pretty cheaply from Avatar.
Anything is enough to drive a 4x12 cab...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.