If you just played Em and C round and round, what key is it in and what scale should I use?
My guess is E minor and E minor.

The notes in both of those chords are in E minor (and C major) but it wants to resolve to the E.

E minor would work for soloing just because it's in E minor but it's always fun to mix it up so you could alternate between E minor and E harmonic minor if you want. Since Harmonic Minor is 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7... the only difference between that and the minor scale is that the 7th is natural. Because the 7th (D) isn't even used in the chord progression, E harmonic minor should work fine. For the same reasons you could use Melodic Minor too.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
E harmonic minor should work fine. For the same reasons you could use Melodic Minor too.
1. Don't bring up complex things the TS won't know anything about. I could have told him to play E Phrygian Dominant or E Mixolydian b6 over E C, but that would mindfuck him.

2. Without a context dictating that harmonic/melodic minor should be played (major V chord), those two scales often sound awkward and forced. You can pull it off, but it's not the same as fooling around with the Em pentatonic scale.
I tried to explain it a little bit. If the TS had a question about it I'd answer it. I like using harmonic minor where natural minor seems like a more "natural" (pun, lol) approach. I think it sounds good.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥