is it ok to just bias by ear? what i mean is, within reason, is it ok to adjust the bias on my amp with out using all the measuring tools and stuff. i just think my amp has always sounded a little cold, and want to just bias it a little bit hotter. i would turn it slightly to the right, try it out, and if i like it great, if not, turn it a little more. do i run a chance of damaging my amp?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
You run the chance of killing yourself IF you don't know what you're doing too
well yeah. i know how to not kill myself. but is it ok to do it like this?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I would not recomened it, you can get bais harness that will plug in to any voltage meter for less than 25 dollars. If you want to do it right, that is the way to do it, by ear you will probably bias to hot, because the hoter the bias the better the amp sounds. But if you bias to hot it will fry your tubes in no time.
Agreed, buy a bias probe, and save your tubes.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Johnbryant
I would not recomened it, you can get bais harness that will plug in to any voltage meter for less than 25 dollars. If you want to do it right, that is the way to do it, by ear you will probably bias to hot, because the hoter the bias the better the amp sounds. But if you bias to hot it will fry your tubes in no time.

well like i said, within reason.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
sorry for the n00bness, but what exactly do you mean by biasing? would you need to do it for a Blues Junior? I'm kinda new to tube amps
Biasing is setting the amount of current to your tubes. You want to be as precise as possible, and get the current right into the prime operating range of the tubes. This NEEDS to be done correctly, as the operating window for tubes is fairly narrow. Too cold = cross distortion and nasty fizz. Too hot = burn your tubes up REALLY fast. If you want to do it yourself go to Eurotubes.com and watch the how to bias video.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by strat335
sorry for the n00bness, but what exactly do you mean by biasing? would you need to do it for a Blues Junior? I'm kinda new to tube amps

you need not apologize for noobness when im around. none of us were born knowing it all. there are some noob defenders around GG&A, some of us actually look out for people haha.

and my friend has all the stuff i need to do it the proper way, so ill just do it the proper way i guess. although i think could probably do it considering i am wanting to do a very tiny tiny adjustment.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
A very minor turn on the trimpot can make a big difference, so if you do it right the first time, you won't have any further problems.

And to strat335, everyone was a n00b once, no one was born knowing everything, tho some people would make you think they did
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I don't know, ask Gabel
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
^Oh come on!

Anyway, I do have a bias probe and I would recommend getting one. You wouldn't be able to set it by ear, I can tell you that. I have adjusted bias and it's not hard. I do recommend getting a friend to help you though, it's much easier to adjust bias if somebody can hold the amp for you!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009