Hey there, I just wanted the help and advice of you fellow pit dwellers (a brave yet stupid act, I know).

Anyway, heres the deal, basically I got an xbox 360 last week and my crappy broadband isn't compatible with it so I can't use xbox live. I looked up a few internet providers and came across tiscali 8mb broadband. Now I know nothing when it comes to broadband/xbox live/etc so I was wondering if any of you have tiscali and whether you think its a reliable provider or not. Also I'm open to suggestions for any other internet providers you guys might recomend, I just want to make sure that I make the right choice before signing up to a new provider.

Thanks in advance
I have Tiscali broadband and they have always seemed to be pretty reliable. My only main internet problem is that I don't get the full 2mb or whatever it is that I should getting. I think that is more BT's/geography of my house's fault though.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Nay, this is just what I've heard from other people, but apparently the internet connection is down for 30-40% of the time and they have terrible customer service making it almost impossible to cancel the contract.
personally i wouldnt get it, but thats just me
they block torrents so i couldnt be doing with that

AOL are pretty reliable, good 8mb speed and free router and laptop, i play my ps3 online using AOL
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
Quote by SBLAKELEY
personally i wouldnt get it, but thats just me
they block torrents so i couldnt be doing with that

AOL are pretty reliable, good 8mb speed and free router and laptop, i play my ps3 online using AOL

I was thinking of getting that, but I'm a bit skeptical about wireless connections because I've heard that other people can use it if they are nearby and that using xbox live on a wireless connection can be laggy (though I may have just imagined the lag thing).
Could anyone clear this up for me?
Any broadband that isnt cable loses speed the further away from the exchange you are.
Exchange = internet distributor type thing that distributes the internet to every house in the area.

Virgin do excellent broadband/tv/phone packages, and the broadband is particularly sound.
I love mine. Have had it for years (when it was NTL obv) and its only ever had one downtime, but that was due to a massive water mains burst down my road.
we had tiscali....their service was horrible...we switched to t-mobile now
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by CobbZ
Any broadband that isnt cable loses speed the further away from the exchange you are.
Exchange = internet distributor type thing that distributes the internet to every house in the area.

Virgin do excellent broadband/tv/phone packages, and the broadband is particularly sound.
I love mine. Have had it for years (when it was NTL obv) and its only ever had one downtime, but that was due to a massive water mains burst down my road.

Is there any way to find out how far from the exchange I am?
I was looking through broadband providers for next year in my house, Talktalk looked pretty damn good, 8mb broadband is FREE when you connect to their free evening and weekend calls package which is about £6 a month
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
talk talk have **** service, and a very large percentage of their customers were waiting MONTHS. Over 6 months, just to get it installed and working.
^Really? I guess I'll avoid it then if it takes that long for service.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Nay, because their adverts are crap.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Just go for Virgin, I use it, and have no problem with it, although, I heard if you don't pay the bill, they cut your service...

>..>
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by Kiffa
Just go for Virgin, I use it, and have no problem with it, although, I heard if you don't pay the bill, they cut your service...

>..>

I just checked it out on their website and it seems a bit pricey compared to other providers so thats probably a no go
Don't get tiscali, worst customer service ever.

Get virgin if you want to be playing on live, and don't use wireless, it buggers up if you have another wireless device on at the same time.
Quote by crazykid3000
I was thinking of getting that, but I'm a bit skeptical about wireless connections because I've heard that other people can use it if they are nearby and that using xbox live on a wireless connection can be laggy (though I may have just imagined the lag thing).
Could anyone clear this up for me?

Your ISP has nothing to do with your wireless router, unless they give you one. I play PC games on wi-fi, and I tried hooking it up straight to the modem. Nothing changed.
I thought they were terrible when I was with them. There was no connection at all half the time, and as someone said already, customer service was crap.

I've been with Orange for the last 18 months and haven't had one single problem yet.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Sorry to bring this thead up again, but after some more research I came across 02 broadband which seems to be pretty good, yet again I just wanna ask the same questions as before to anyone who has it already, such as reliability/any better options/etc?