So yeah, I'm thinking of buying a 5 string bass, and am in the research process for some to consider when trying them out and hopefully buying one.

My budget is £400, although I can stretch to about £500 max.

I currently have a Fender Jazz Bass MIM, and mainly play rock and funk. I want a 5 string bass that has a really nice smooth sound, for fingerpicking and such.

The only one I've looked at so far is the standard jazz bass five string, it looks really good, although im a bit worried it may be a tad too similar to my current bass...

any ideas?
Honestly, you won't get an upgrade at that budget over your current bass. Save some more, then get a really good bass, be it a 5er or not.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Honestly, you won't get an upgrade at that budget over your current bass. Save some more, then get a really good bass, be it a 5er or not.

yeah that was one of my worries, but the 5 strings more of an alternative to my current bass, not really looking to upgrade at the moment. however yeah I am considering waiting. But I'm curious to see what I could get at the moment.
I suggest you try Ibanez SR, BTB and ATK, Schecter Stiletto, Peavey and maybe keep an eye out for a used Warwick Corvette. Those Fender Jazz V are nice, but if I were in your position I wouldn't get it because it would make your 4 string MIM Jazz redundant, and then you might as well sell it and get a higher end bass (a Jazz 24 V maybe?)