so far college, i need to have 2 years of a language to graduate with a liberal arts degree. since i want to go into legal studies, i decided to take latin.

do any of you have experience with this language? i took french in high school and i didn't really enjoy it, so hopefully this will be better.
Latin's hard, knowing French helps a little but be prepared for hard work. I don't think Latin help with law as much as it would with biology or something else of that nature.
well, i'm in the beginning class (latin 101) so it shouldn't be too bad the first semester, but yeah, i was expecting a lot of work.
Latin is a really good language if you have grammar problems, because latin grammar = spanish/french + 1000.

I had it in highschool, don't expect to talk it ofc. But it's good to learn perfect grammar.
Latin's a bit of a pain. The rich people who could afford to learn to write it made a number of unnecessary complications to keep the plebs from learning it, gaining knowledge, etc., and thus, kept them controlled.

The history behind it is interesting, though.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Dude, Latin is pretty much a dead language, they only use it for legal terms like you mentioned, and medical terminology. So unless you plan on having a nice conversation with the pope, I would choose something else. But thats me.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
I took Latin in high school cuz the program there was a friggin' joke. I got easy A's, but I absolutely hate the language. I don't recommend you take it.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
The work you have to do to learn it compared to the benefit you get in law isn't really worth it. Pick an easier language that's spoken in several countries, like German or Spanish.
Quote by pedalguy1
Dude, Latin is pretty much a dead language, they only use it for legal terms like you mentioned, and medical terminology. So unless you plan on having a nice conversation with the pope, I would choose something else. But thats me.

yeah, i know it's a dead language, but i'm required to take 2 years of a language. i figured since i'm going into legal studies that i take latin since a lot of legal terms are in latin.
Im in latin. Be prepared to learn TONS of different endings and types of words
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
I've taken 4 years of high school Latin. It wasn't terribly difficult, but compared to the Spanish, French, and German my friends learned, it was a lot more work. I've found that it made learning other languages very easy.

My brother took his first year of college-level Latin (I'm not sure what level it was...he too had 4 years in high school) and said it was his hardest class. Several kids dropped it, etc.
so do you guys think i should take something else? i find latin to be fairly interesting, but i'm really not that great at foreign languages.

then again, i didn't really try with french at all since i hated it...
I've taken 5 years of Latin. It's hard at first, then it clicks, hard to explain.
Quote by DayTripper1967
so do you guys think i should take something else? i find latin to be fairly interesting, but i'm really not that great at foreign languages.

then again, i didn't really try with french at all since i hated it...

German's close to English, and it's spoken in a few countries.
Latin wasn't exactly easy for me, but if you have a good grip on English and it's wide and varied vocabulary, the vocabulary for Latin shouldn't be too hard. The grammar, on the other hand, can take some getting used to. I took it for two years, and there were some things that were pretty difficult come year two.
Last edited by TurdFerguson at Jun 19, 2008,
I know a bit of Latin, I stole a textbook out of the Latin class in my high school and taught myself some of it. It really wasn't all that bad, granted I have four years of proper French instruction under my belt, so that could've had something to do with it. I enjoyed it though.
Latin is a very sexy language to speak. Nothing like seducing somebody by speaking the foreign tongue.
Latin is incredibly useful for a legal studies major. Its benefit is not so much the borrowings (i.e. ad hoc, de facto etc.) which you'll learn, but the analytical reasoning that you acquire. I took four years in high school and loved it so much I took another four years in college, majoring in Classics with Latin and Greek concentration. Contrary to the advice of the masses of preteens on here: Go Latin!
Quote by pedalguy1

Don't forget that Latin is the grammar base of all the Romance languages:

Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian.

So if you're going for something that needs an understanding of these languages it's a very good choice.

You don't need grammar for medical and law terminology, foo'.
I think it's pretty easy...

If you ever plan on learning other Romance languages, then you should probably go ahead and get a Latin base. Plus, Latin helps your English vocabulary a ton.

Speaking of Latin, what did all you Classics scholars out there get on the NLE?

Quote by BlackerSabbath
I took four years in high school and loved it so much I took another four years in college, majoring in Classics with Latin and Greek concentration. Contrary to the advice of the masses of preteens on here: Go Latin!

An e-cookie for you, sir.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Last edited by Metal0Maniac at Jun 19, 2008,
Learning Latin for possible help with medical terminology really isn't a good idea. The ratio of work to profit is not good. Try to learn a non-dead language, like German.

Also, if you didn't enjoy French, you probably won't enjoy Latin.
well, i think i'll at least give it a shot the first year. if i'm not doing well, i can always change to something else, but learning latin is probably the most interested i'm going to be in learning a foreign language so i want to at least give it a shot.
Quote by Metal0Maniac

Speaking of Latin, what did all you Classics scholars out there get on the NLE?

Magna Cum Laude X2
Maxima Cum Laude X1
I took 2 years of latin so far.
its definately worth it, though pretty difficult at FIRST
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
It's a pretty challenging language, however, when you take it, odds are you're not going to be expected to translate English into Latin. But the hardest part is the memorization of the endings. For instance:
novae-might mean the plural of new or strange, but it could alternatively be the singular genitive case (genitive being "of the new" or "of the strange").
So you have your plurals for each "declension". (There are 5, but the first two are the most important).
Nov-is the root
Nova-means a singular strange thing that is the nominative object(being a noun)
Novae-means a plural strange thing that is nominative (being a noun)
Novae-may also mean the genitive singular of strange or new
Novaearum-is the plural genitive
Novae-may also be the dative case ie: (Novae spectabit Lucium) The New will watch to Lucius
Novis-plural dative
Novam-being the accusative singular (the direct object/the object that is being acted upon)
Novas-being the plural accusative
Nova-being the ablative (ablative meaning to mark a direction away from. Essentially a verb with in a noun but not really.)

And that is first declension. (Nova is a first declension noun)

if we use the word "ager" meaning field you get an entire different table of endings.
Ager-is the singular nominative
agri-is the plural nom
agri/agrorum- are the singular and plural genitive case respectively
agro/agris-are the sing/plur to the Dative Case
agrum/agrus- are the sing/plur to the Accustive case
agro/agris-are the sing/plur to the albative case.

You have to be able to understand the thought as a whole in order to find what case it might be.

And then there are the verbs. Instead of declensions you have conjugations. And I believe that there are three.

But I don't feel like typing it up.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Gunpowder
Latin's a bit of a pain. The rich people who could afford to learn to write it made a number of unnecessary complications to keep the plebs from learning it, gaining knowledge, etc., and thus, kept them controlled.

The history behind it is interesting, though.

So it's the tennis of languages?
At the Justice Tour:
Guy in audience: Libertyville represent!
Tom Morello: Yes. Libertyville…represent.

Quote by IDread
Damn. You got insanely lucky when it comes to manly surnames.

Ai æm eɪ prəpoʊnənt ʌv eɪ kəmplitli fənɛtɪk ælfəbɛt. Spɛl ɛvriθɪŋ wɪθ ðə AɪPiEɪ.
Quote by DayTripper1967
so far college, i need to have 2 years of a language to graduate with a liberal arts degree. since i want to go into legal studies, i decided to take latin.

do any of you have experience with this language? i took french in high school and i didn't really enjoy it, so hopefully this will be better.

I took Latin for 4 years in HS. I loved it. Not at the time but now I realise how much it helps in comprehending so much in life. Well worth the effort.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
learning any new language is gonna be hard regardless, i took four years of latin in high school and yeah it is pretty challenging, i remember what i hated the most was declining and conjugating verbs and nouns and there would literally be so many endings that you would have to memorize. It also depends on your professor, my teacher along with latin taught us about rome and roman mythology and stuff of that nature so it wasnt bad.

basically make sure you keep up with the course and pay attention and it shouldnt give you a hard time
Latin is fairly easy, and BTW it's technically not a dead language (it's the official language of one country, therefore not dead)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I've done 3 years of Latin in high school and it's fairly easy. But I haven't as yet found any practical use for it.
Kill one, you’re a murderer
Kill many, you’re a conquerer
Kill them all, you’re a god
Bury me in pieces, for fear of retribution

Lefties Unite!
It's a really fun course, I took a year of it, and am studying by myself =] you'll love it.

It helps ALOT with sciences and english
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK