I heard news that they split up, but now I am seeing on Metal-archives.com taht their status is unknown. Does anybody know what is going on with them?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

"Arguing online is like racing in the Special Olympics- Even if
you win you're still retarded."

"You cant spell crap without rap"
According to the official website they haven't actually split up but Timo Tolkki is out of the band so what that means is anybody's guess.
From what I've gathered:

Stratovarius (excluding Timo Tokki) will continue under a different name. I think Tolkki owns the rights to all of their previous material, as well as the name, so they're going to have to start completely afresh.

Timo Tolkki is forming a band called Revolution Renaissance. These have released an album called New Era, which features several guest vocalists, including Tobias Samett and Michael Kiske. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_Renaissance should explain more about them.
There's a letter from the main dude (who's name I forget right now) on their website explaining.
Quote by Minkaro
From what I've gathered:

Stratovarius (excluding Timo Tokki) will continue under a different name. I think Tolkki owns the rights to all of their previous material, as well as the name, so they're going to have to start completely afresh.

Timo Tolkki is forming a band called Revolution Renaissance. These have released an album called New Era, which features several guest vocalists, including Tobias Samett and Michael Kiske. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_Renaissance should explain more about them.

Nope, the other 4 guys are still going by the name Stratovarius. Tolkki waived his ownership of the name and band, and all profit from their back catalog, according to one of his BAAAWWWW letter to the band. But then again, Tolkki said he's going to release one last album under the name Stratovarius with Tuomo and Antti (former Strato members for those who didn't know), so I guess there's going to be two band named Stratovarius...

Sammet? Damn, the fat guy has the power metal deity backing 'em!