Write, the band i'm in's got ages until the next gig. all our previous gig we've had to play everything we can because we waste time until 2 weeks before a gig. anyway, the drummer wants to keep it like this, and spend all our time on originals, but we take ages to write songs, but i think we should get covers whilst we work on orginals so if the worst comes to the worst we have something to play that's new, and so we have a choice of what to play rather than struggling to fill a set list
what do you think?
hello
what i usually do is have ppl write songs individually and than come together and work on the already finished products.
Quote by Wonthefu
I'd say you should know at least a couple(like five or six) of covers just in case, but you should defiantly work on originals as much as possible.

I should have probably said, we'd still work on originals while we work on covers, like work on covers while we write
hello
Quote by ms_tickley
what i usually do is have ppl write songs individually and than come together and work on the already finished products.

that's what we do, but it's about what we do in between that
hello
i think its good to do a mix - every band needs originals, otherwise its just karaoke. however, i think even famous bands should do covers, because it can get people on their feet - i'll never forget hearing maiden do doctor doctor - no-one expected it, but everyone knew it - we went sick!

so its good to have non- originals for people to go - we know that one! and groove with
its always good to have a some very famous crowd pleasing covers that you can throw in just to keep the crowd interested and listening to you

^^ to guy above, i definately agree, even famous bands will do covers, coheed an cambria did the trooper, everybody went crazy good luck
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Well, in order to play gigs, you need songs, obviously.
If you want to play gigs before you've written enough songs, you need to play covers.
If you don't want to play covers, you need to stop gigging until you've written enough songs.

You should be looking at having at least an hour's worth of material, (idealy, an hour and a half, so you can play two 3/4 of a hour sets) whether it's covers, originals or a mixture of both.

Personaly, if I was you, I'd start with a full set of covers, (plus any originals you already have) and keep replacing the covers with original songs as and when you write new material. Eventualy, you will have a set full of originals with maybe one or two really good covers, (and they'll be the best covers you can play as well because they would be the ones that have survived elimination) but in the meantime you can gig to your heart's content, building up a following while slowly introducing them to your own music.
By the time you have a set full of originals, (and by playing the new material in a 'trial and error' way of trying them out in front of an audience, then if they don't work quite right, either drop them or re-work them until they do work) your following will know and love them almost as well as the covers you used to play, which means that they will be more likely to buy your debut album, which you hopefully will be recording once you have enough tried and tested material.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Well, in order to play gigs, you need songs, obviously.
If you want to play gigs before you've written enough songs, you need to play covers.
If you don't want to play covers, you need to stop gigging until you've written enough songs.

You should be looking at having at least an hour's worth of material, (idealy, an hour and a half, so you can play two 3/4 of a hour sets) whether it's covers, originals or a mixture of both.

Personaly, if I was you, I'd start with a full set of covers, (plus any originals you already have) and keep replacing the covers with original songs as and when you write new material. Eventualy, you will have a set full of originals with maybe one or two really good covers, (and they'll be the best covers you can play as well because they would be the ones that have survived elimination) but in the meantime you can gig to your heart's content, building up a following while slowly introducing them to your own music.
By the time you have a set full of originals, (and by playing the new material in a 'trial and error' way of trying them out in front of an audience, then if they don't work quite right, either drop them or re-work them until they do work) your following will know and love them almost as well as the covers you used to play, which means that they will be more likely to buy your debut album, which you hopefully will be recording once you have enough tried and tested material.

This man is actually god.
hello
Quote by SlackerBabbath

No, I'm just a really, really old musician.

Is that not a god?
hello
Quote by opc100
Is that not a god?

Not quite.
I can't turn water into wine yet, but I can turn a crate of beer into a hangover.
Argh, i think I'm gonna be kicked out, like, the drummer and the lead guitarist both think what i said in my original post, so i had a discussion with them through the power of msn messenger, and i told them what i think, and both have them blew up and resorted to petty 'shut the hell up we'll do what we want to do' arguments. i don't know what's caused this, they're like my best friends, meanwhile the bassist hasn't a clue what's going on.
What can I do?
hello
Last edited by opc100 at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by opc100
Argh, i think I'm gonna be kicked out, like, the drummer and the lead guitarist both think what i said in my original post, so i had a discussion with them through the power of msn messenger, and i told them what i think, and both have them blew up and resorted to petty 'shut the hell up we'll do what we want to do' arguments. i don't know what's caused this, they're like my best friends, meanwhile the bassist hasn't a clue what's going on.
What can I do?

Well it's sometimes a controversial question. Some people think that doing any covers at all is somehow selling out, but the reality is, if you do covers as well as originals, you'll get more gig opportunities, which will bring you more experience, which will make you better musicians, which will improve the stuff you're writing too.
Unfortunately for you, it's one of those decisions that the whole band must agree on and you appear to be outvoted.
Either put up with the majority decision, or leave, put your own band together, and do it how you want to do it.
Is the bassist likely to take your point of view or theirs?
probably mine
he did have theirs, but i had a discussion and he saw what i was saying and agreed
hello
Quote by opc100
probably mine
he did have theirs, but i had a discussion and he saw what i was saying and agreed

Then if you leave or are kicked out for your views, (which would be lame in my opinion) see if the bassist will go with you, then the other two guys can 'do what they want to do' as much as they like while you build up a new band, pick some covers, start gigging, build up a following while writing material and eventualy be the band that the other two guys wanted to be.
Seriously, I'd be contemplating walking away from any band where my opinion gets the reaction ''shut the hell up we'll do what we want to do.''
Band members should be at best, the very best of friends and at the very least, respectful of each other.
This shows evidence of neither.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Then if you leave or are kicked out for your views, (which would be lame in my opinion) see if the bassist will go with you, then the other two guys can 'do what they want to do' as much as they like while you build up a new band, pick some covers, start gigging, build up a following while writing material and eventualy be the band that the other two guys wanted to be.
Seriously, I'd be contemplating walking away from any band where my opinion gets the reaction ''shut the hell up we'll do what we want to do.''
Band members should be at best, the very best of friends and at the very least, respectful of each other.
This shows evidence of neither.

That's the problem, we've all been best mates for as long as we can remember.
hello
Quote by opc100
That's the problem, we've all been best mates for as long as we can remember.

Then it's about time they acted like your mates and gave you a little respect.
I'm not saying they should start playing covers out of respect for you, that's something that should be a collective band decision, but your opinion shouldn't be simply dismissed with a 'shut up.'
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Then it's about time they acted like your mates and gave you a little respect.
I'm not saying they should sart playing covers out of respect for you, that's something that should be a collective band decision, but your opinion shouldn't be simply dismissed with a 'shut up.'

yeh, i suppose you're right. i gave them time to put across their views and treated them with nothing but respect.

Thank you Mr Babbath, I will shop with you again
hello
Quote by opc100
yeh, i suppose you're right. i gave them time to put across their views and treated them with nothing but respect.

Thank you Mr Babbath, I will shop with you again

Anytime bud.
Listen', don't let my influence put you in an awkward position or place your friendships in jeopardy, I'm just saying what I'd do in your situation.
Whatever you decide to do, think seriously about it first and do whatever you think is the right thing to do.
OK?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Anytime bud.
Listen', don't let my influence put you in an awkward position or place your friendships in jeopardy, I'm just saying what I'd do in your situation.
Whatever you decide to do, think seriously about it first and do whatever you think is the right thing to do.
OK?

I know what I'm gonna do now. I've got band practise tomorrow so I'll just get across my views then. But you know what it's like when you've put so much time and effort into something and it could turn out to all be for nothing, you never know what to do.

God i just read that back, cheese or what.
Anyway, i'll just talk to them tomorrow. And even if i don't get my own way, I'm happy playing all originals, and I think we'll go back to some covers eventually.
hello
Quote by opc100
I know what I'm gonna do now. I've got band practise tomorrow so I'll just get across my views then. But you know what it's like when you've put so much time and effort into something and it could turn out to all be for nothing, you never know what to do.

God i just read that back, cheese or what.
Anyway, i'll just talk to them tomorrow. And even if i don't get my own way, I'm happy playing all originals, and I think we'll go back to some covers eventually.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Yeah we're still going. The drummer apologised without me even saying anything and we decided a few covers are a good idea.
hello
Good to hear.

I was gonna suggest that you approach it with a mentality like my old band. We would basically have a rotating cover of a song that was really popular at the time, but we also had some just flat out "hey, I know that song, that's a fun song" covers. They included:
Walk Like an Egyptian
I Think We're Alone Now

But we weren't opposed to covers. We also routinely did (and were kind of known for) doing Local H's Bound to the Floor and Spacehogs In the Meantime (one of my favorite covers to do back then, as well). When we did certain bars (and a roller rink once) we did Phil Collins Against All Odds, and during the end of our run we threw in Cherub Rock and How Soon is Now? in to the mix.

Heck, we used to ask people in the crowd that we saw showing up for more than one show if they'd like to hear something, and we'd at least try it once for them. Except for this one girl who wanted Hungry like the Wolf...but that's because we couldn't make it sound good enough with our setup.

But at the same time, we had enough originals to fill a regular length CD (which still sits somewhere, unmixed...damn it) and then some. So we had flexability. By the end we'd play 90% original, 10% cover at a show we headlined, and probably 60-75% original to 40-25% covers at other gigs like the random bar. And it was fun as hell that way.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by opc100
Yeah we're still going. The drummer apologised without me even saying anything and we decided a few covers are a good idea.

Woohoo!, result!
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 21, 2008,