Currently I am ampless

I want to buy a Ashdown MAG300 head with a 210 or 410 cab, but it would be around £400+ i've tried it and everything.

But I've also looked at the Ashdown EB series and seen that even though they lack on wattage they would be more practical as to be honest I need an amp ASAP for gigs coming up and the most I can really swindle/get is about £300/£350 and thats at a bit of a push.

Ideally I would like 150w + as thats all I will need for gigs with PA and the guitarists aren't using particually meaty amps, the drummers a bit of a psycho but a 150w managed to get over his drumming... Just but that was with me standing on stage (dread to think if it could be heard off stage). I think I would also like the option for an extention cab and a DI output for PA.

I've been looking at the Warwick sweet 15.2 but its lacking in watts and I havent tried it as of yet, I also like the look of the EB but I wasn't too keen on it when I tried it out. So i'm thinking do I get the Ashdown MAG 300w 210 combo, Ashdown EB 180w, Warwick sweet 15.2 which is 150w but max is 200w..

I'm open to suggestions.

But looking at stuff..

The warwick is about £300

Ashdown MAG300 with 410 cab is about £480ish

Ashdown MAG300 210 combo is £320

Ashdown EB i'm not sure about.

I think most of them I can just about afford but I'm leaning more on the side of the Ashdown MAG 2x10 combo as it has everything I need and is in my price range.

But what else is there that can be suggested?
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Jun 19, 2008,
Try and pick up the ashdown second hand.

I got mine from a fellow forum member for £175. Thats the MAG300 4x10 combo.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I own the ashdown 410 and it can be a bit bulky at times I sometimes wish I had the combo particularly when traveling to gigs .
That EB in Mag colouring didnt look too good to me, and I think I'm going to go with the MAG but i'm still not entirely sure as I need an amp ideally in the next few weeks ready for 4/5 gigs one of which were organising and I will need an amp for that as you can't borrow an amp for your own gigs.

But I think its out of the MAG300 210 combo/ MAG300 head with 210 cab or the Warwick 15.2

I like the warwick because it has a tweeter and is reasonably good for the price, however its NOT that good for the price as the MAG 210 combo is only £20 more and the head & cab is only £80 more.

EDIT, but, I can't really get an estimate of the price as such yet as the soundcontrol website is being re done as they've been taken over so I can't get it for a few weeks anyway as that would be where I get my amp from :/

Another EDIT,

should I sell my Ibanez RG guitar to raise money? I could get around £150 for it and it would help my parents paying for it and maybe get me the MAG300 410 combo? Which is like what I really want.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Quote by Rywad

But I think its out of the MAG300 210 combo/ MAG300 head with 210 cab or the Warwick 15.2

I like the warwick because it has a tweeter and is reasonably good for the price, however its NOT that good for the price as the MAG 210 combo is only £20 more and the head & cab is only £80 more.

You have to keep in mind that the MAG is 180W, until you get a second cabinet, though.

The Warwick and Ashdown are also pretty different tonal wise.
I doubted between an ashdown and a warwick as well. I tested both, and even though the Ashdown is a great amp, it wasn't my up of tea.
So if you can, go to a music store and hear for yourself wich one you like best.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Last edited by sam_ofzo at Jun 19, 2008,
Remember the Warwick amp has an absolute shedload of power behind it for the advertised power. It easily matched the MAG 300 from what I have tried of the MAG.

I played with drums, 4 guitars (admitedly hardly cranked, but a a decent volume), a small strings sections and a fairly decent sized brass section on 4, and I knew I was too loud to the audience (in retrospect, as the amp was in front of me).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So what? The MAG300 (which is 300w) is only 180w when used with a one cab? that doesnt make too much sense. I'm talking about using it with a 4 x 10 cab or maybe a 2 x 10 cab.

And jack, so the Warwick would be suitable for some fairly mid sized venues and some outdoor ones (the gay pride thingy in Kings park near Reading station but its end of august so its a while yet) because I've been tempted by it but i'm not sure if it would be enough to go with a aggresive drummer and two guitars that are pretty cranked, especially the lead guitarist as she has it way too loud.

Edit, does the Sweet 15 have a DI port so i can connect it direct to PA? Cause I know the MAG does.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Quote by Rywad
So what? The MAG300 (which is 300w) is only 180w when used with a one cab? that doesnt make too much sense. I'm talking about using it with a 4 x 10 cab or maybe a 2 x 10 cab.

That's because the head puts out 300W at 4ohm, if you use it with 1 8ohm cabinet (like the combo), it puts out 180W until you add another 8 ohm cabinet.

To use the head to it's full potential you need 2 8ohm cabinets or 1 4ohm cabinet.

And the warwick hasn't got a DI port.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Well that actually does make sense, I completely forgot about the ohms, so my best bet would either be to get the head and a 4ohm cab separately or to get the Warwick, but not having a DI restricts the ways it can be linked to a PA system other than being mic'd up, which I can safely say would be good enough for my uses as most the PA will not be exceptionally professional and usually in the local gigs everythings just mic'd up.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_mag_300h_bundle.htm

If you can stretch to another 40 quid I would go with this. This is the exact deal that I went with when i got my Ashdown. Free Postage too

xx

EDIT: I forgot to say if you did go with this you will need to use a different power lead or use an adaptor, as the one provided is european. I am sure this wouldn't cause too much of a problem though.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at Jun 20, 2008,
Keep in mind that, like previously said, the MAG is only ~185 watts out of the box, but also, the EB is only ~100. I would scratch of the EB straight away. As for Warwick vs. Ashdown I would saunter down to a shop and try them out. Personally I'd go Warwick, even if I haven't tried them out, because I have tried the MAG out and it wasn't anything special.
Yeah, but bloody Sound Control went bust and they had all the different MAG variations in stock >< so I have to wait a while until the one in London opens, but i'm probably going to get the Warwick or a MAG300 head and a 4ohm cab, I'm thinking of spending about £200 max on the cab and the head is around £250 at a complete and utter estimate.

But the Warwick isn't as much but it would be better if I can't find a 4ohm cab I like.

And my cash situation is looking like this:

£100ish (hopefully £150) from selling my guitar, £50 or so from the gig we're doing to raise money for me and the two guitarists amps (hopefully), £200 or so from parents if I get good GCSE results and I could try and swindle it as an 'early' birthday present but that would throw my plan of getting a Fender MIM or Highway 1 Jazz. But the amp is much more important so I guess I'll just try as hard as I can to get enough money for everything I want amp-wise as theres no point cheaping out on such a vital part of the bass tone.

And Thomann is a no, I don't like ordering guitar stuff off the internet as I don't trust overseas post. So it will be bought from a shop where I can also haggle down a little and get a 'good' deal but I doubt i'll get much off.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Last edited by Rywad at Jun 20, 2008,
Arghhh! That looks real nice has the kickguard thing been removed?

And also, how much would you be looking at for it? (I really should do this in the other thread)
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab