ok, i want to build an amp that will fit in my pocket - much like the smokey amp which i have just found out about. there are a few things i need to know first though.

i want the amp to be - small enough to fit in my pocket, light, reliable, simple to make and repair should the need arise and cheap to make, though not necessarily cheaper than the price of a practice amp - i am doing this for the experience and because of my interest in how amps are made.

first thing is first - can i use the speaker out of an old hi-fi? i live in a pub and we have millions of speakers lying around in the function room, and if i can use one - then we're doing well.

second question, are there any guides on how to make a very simple amp? im talking one battery, an input jack and a volume switch (though i may just use my guitar to control volume) and possibly a pre-amp for some gainy sounds.

third, if i add a larger battery than the usual 9v used in smokeys, will this kill the amp because theres too much power, give a different sound or will it increase battery life?

lastly, i have no idea about anything electrical and this is going to be done very roughly, but as something on my side i have access to a lot of tools, is this going to be possible to do with any degree of success.
yeah, have a look round on the internet, there is plenty of schematics and layouts

runoffgroove.com are good, look for the ruby amp, and i think there are others, just have a look

yeah, its do-able, and using a 12v or something in a 9v circuit isn't a good idea, if its designed for 9v, use 9v
lol@u
ah - so thats all with the battery thing then - if its a 9v circuit then i cant use bigger? that makes sense

like i said, when it comes to electronics i have no idea - i did electronics class as a compulsory subject for a few years at high school, but i didn't listen, so i dont understand anything about it. i remember doing some soldering tho

and is schematics like the guide to how to make an amp? ive seen them before, and i get the idea that it shows what goes where, or where the electric flows - but again, didn't pay attention when i should have done. if i got hold of a simple schematic, would that be enough to make it by?

o, and as to earthing - how do i earth something so that i dont die.
you if your not the best at soldering, and want something more simple, look into the little gem. I made one into an old clock radio. The circuit is about half the size of the ruby. its like the ruby's little brother i guess... lol

but if you could geting the circuit small enough and a speaker small enough sure it could be done fairly easily. runoffgroove has a lot of cool more simple projects and some higher level ones too

aside from the runoffgroove schematic for the little gem. You can also use
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54804764@N00/401719542/
to help you to know what wires connect where for the speakers and pots. cant get to much more simple than that haha

I also added a spdt switch to kill the power so the battery is not constantly on. this was my first circuit i ever built, turned out great!
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
you if your not the best at soldering, and want something more simple, look into the little gem. I made one into an old clock radio. The circuit is about half the size of the ruby. its like the ruby's little brother i guess... lol

but if you could geting the circuit small enough and a speaker small enough sure it could be done fairly easily. runoffgroove has a lot of cool more simple projects and some higher level ones too

aside from the runoffgroove schematic for the little gem. You can also use
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54804764@N00/401719542/
to help you to know what wires connect where for the speakers and pots. cant get to much more simple than that haha

I also added a spdt switch to kill the power so the battery is not constantly on. this was my first circuit i ever built, turned out great!

cool, i'll look into the little gem - i dont suppose anyone knows of any uk based parts suppliers - im going to look into it myself, but if anyone can recommend something then thats cool too
http://store.guitarfetish.com/on25waguamdr.html

I'm not sure if you can put that seperate from your guitar our not, I think all you'd have to do is add an input jack where it would usually have the guitar wires going.
Runs off a 9 volt.
not too much soldering.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!