so i bought my new Mitchell several months ago. ive kept it in standard tuning and never had a problem with the truss rod. But recently ive been having fun with drop-d and dadgad tunings.

im wondering if these tunings are ok without adjusting the truss rod. thanks!!
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
I've heard that it is a myth that alternate tunings affect the neck in a substantially negative way.
from my point of view, yes it will have a small effect on your truss rod, but not enough to do any damage to your guitar. If you went to like 1 1/2 steps down or 2 steps down then you might want to adjust your truss rod so it plays better and stays in tune longer, but there will still be no damage to you guitar.

bottom line: if it doesn't stay in tune, then go and adjust the truss rod, but if you don't know how to adjust your truss rod there's probably more likelihood of you breaking your guitar doing that then changing tunings, see what I mean?
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
well, if i needed to adjust the truss rod id go right back to guitar center where i bought it. they are usually more then willing to help with any problems.

i was just wondering whether or not it would be safe to drop down a bit. i may just keep it in drop-d the lowest, to assure nothing bad will happen.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Both of the tunings you mentioned are only minor changes from standard tuning. It will be fine.
Yup, its fine. I keep my one acoustic in Open D tuning and I've never had a problem.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Like I said, no tunings will actually hurt your guitar, especially if you're not leaving the guitar in that tuning for a real long time, but my point was if you were having trouble keeping it in tune (in the new tuning of course) then it's probably any combination of the truss rod, intonation, action, strings, or tremolo system. Point being, it won't be perfect if it's not set up to be perfect, so don't expect miracles, but as far as your guitar goes,

It WILL survive.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
It should accept the new tuning once you play it in a while. the strings are stretched to different proportions when you change tunings, so it's reasonable that they wont stay perfectly in tune to your new tuning unless you've had the strings tuned to whatever from the beginning.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.