Page 1 of 2
well im thinking of taking up a martial art but im unsure on which one to choose, im looking for one which more into holds but also has the punch/kick moves, which one do you recommend? (i live in england so something like the russian version of judo wont be available)
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Judo, lots of holds and keeps with the punchin and kicking
Stranger Danger ! What? Huh? Do i Know you? I Don't Talk To Strangers.
i thought judo was all holds?? and submissions
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
it has alot, but it has punchin and kicking , mostly holds tho
Stranger Danger ! What? Huh? Do i Know you? I Don't Talk To Strangers.
Jeet Kune Do. I actually don't know a lot about Martial Arts but you might wanna look that one up.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
krav maga ...itll teach you martial arts moves and such that you can actually use in closer quarters and stuff in case you dont have enough room for a roundhouse kick....
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Go to a local MMA school. You will be the most well rounded fighter you can be. Jiu-Jitsu is good for submissions and ground control, Judo is good for throws, Wrestling is good for takedowns and ground control, Muay Thai is excellent for strikes. Mix these styles and you will be an excellent, well rounded fighter. It's what I did.

EDIT:
Quote by abdulalhazred
krav maga ...itll teach you martial arts moves and such that you can actually use in closer quarters and stuff in case you dont have enough room for a roundhouse kick....

Don't listen to this guy. Krav Maga is way overrated, if you are looking for a solid military style of combatives, just go to a local military surplus store and pick up various hand to hand combat field manuals. I've never been impressed with Krav Maga.
Last edited by rock_and_blues at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by abdulalhazred

Is that the Israeli Special Forces one?
Quote by abdulalhazred

like in splinter cell!
two and a half men.
hmm mixed martial arts is good, i started watching the k1 league ages ago, the nearest place is 20 miles away though which sucks, does it matter what age you start
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Krav Maga is way overrated

Headbutts? Kicks in the balls? Eye strikes? This goddamn martial art is underrated!
Call me Batman.
I did kickboxing for a couple of years. It was fun but after green belt the routines were so monotonous, the only thing that kept me going was the fight class. I left because the fight class got boring as well, not to mention the number of times i got the crap kicked out of me at the competitons. You should try it
Quote by Cameronrobson
What does Hwoarang from Tekken use?

He uses Tae Kwon Do. He's conveniently named like one of the patterns, hwa rang.

Tae Kwon Do isn't much of a martial art though, I use it more for fitness.
Kempo Jujitsu is a good style of Jujitsu that incorporates strikes and joint locks, as well as the traditional throws and submissions.

A lot of clubs mix it up with Aiki-Jitsu too, which is locks and restraints, so you end up getting a really good balance of the two.

Whichever martial you choose, make sure you check out a couple of clubs of the same style if possible, as there are a lot, and I mean A LOT of ****ty instructors about.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I practice Kajukenbo, which is a mixed martial arts designed more on the takedown of an opponent.
Quote by killbox2490
Once at chruch, I was at a group thing so I was laying down on the couch then all of a sudden some girl goes up to me starts rubbing my shoe ferociousely and goes " I want sex"......
Quote by J.A.M
Headbutts? Kicks in the balls? Eye strikes? This goddamn martial art is underrated!

Those techniques aren't new, they just aren't taught at your local McDojo, because suburban mommies don't want their sons to be fighters, they just want to say their son is a black belt. What is efficient about Krav Maga is the mentality involved and the use of the most basic, most lethal moves. If you want to learn military combatives, picking up a field manual for 15 bucks at a surplus store is just as efficient as paying an Israeli to teach you how to kick a guy in the balls and gouge his eyes. You'll learn the same thing either way.
Quote by Cameronrobson
What does Hwoarang from Tekken use?

Tae Kwon Do.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by rock_and_blues
Those techniques aren't new, they just aren't taught at your local McDojo, because suburban mommies don't want their sons to be fighters, they just want to say their son is a black belt. What is efficient about Krav Maga is the mentality involved and the use of the most basic, most lethal moves. If you want to learn military combatives, picking up a field manual for 15 bucks at a surplus store is just as efficient as paying an Israeli to teach you how to kick a guy in the balls and gouge his eyes. You'll learn the same thing either way.

You say that like it's unique to Krav Maga, but it's true for any martial art, but a lot of the common ones or ones that are currently more popular for whatever reason(karate, tae kwon do, jijuitsu) have a lot of ****ty instructors about, who are only in it to make a quick buck on the back of that popularity.

In every martial art there are Dojos and instructors who will teach you the correct mentality, and the most dangerous and efficient moves (obviously when you have proved that you are of a suitable proficiency), and that's why it's always prudent to check out any Dojo before joining.

I'd also be wary of any club that lets you attain a black belt in less than 5 years, as to me that suggest that they don't really train and test you enough, they just give out belts to keep their members happy, and keep the money rolling in.

In my opinion, a good instructor should have been doing the art for over 10 years.

I've been doing mine for 8, and help out instructing at the club I train at. I'd say I'm a better teacher than a lot of Jujitsu-ka I've seen in my area, but I wouldn't think that I am actually a decent enough teacher to run my own club.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

I took bujikon taijitsu (i think...) for a good 4 years. It was a combination of many different styles and focused on self-defense more than anything. It was fun, but if you're looking for sparring and such you might want to try something different.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by Ticket48
Jeet Kune Do. I actually don't know a lot about Martial Arts but you might wanna look that one up.

Thats Bruce Lees "No style" fighting style. Its pretty good, try for some books and vids on youtube.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Wing Tsun Kung Fu kicks ass! :p

I have a friend (my lead guitarist) who teaches and practices that. It seems pretty cool, I'm trying to convince him to give me lessons on the side in return for some Jujitsu lessons!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

I do this style called Go Kan Ryu, and i'm pretty good at it, brown belt.. but the style is ****- heres the kicker: it's none contact!! I know it's stupid, but i'm going to go through to black belt, and stop as I go to university... but when i'm older i'm going to start some kung fu ****, inspired by mind body kickass moves...

but tbh i can probably packa hard punch, 'cos i have got the snap, just **** that its non-contact, other than when you spar black belts..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

pencak silat !
I do it and I'm going to the european championship in oktober

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Kempo is great. Goshindo is too.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by gonzaw
professional wrestling

If by this you mean catch wrestling, then I will have to agree.

Catch wrestling

If you mean the scripted crap on TV, then no.

Wrestling is an often overlooked martial art, but it is devastating if used effectively. I love wrestling and have been doing it since I was 8.
Last edited by rock_and_blues at Jun 19, 2008,
I'm a wrestler and I have ALWAYS wanted to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I just don't have the time or money on my hands to get it done...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
I DO FREESTYLE KARATE *I have my 2nd blackbelt, sry needed to show off*

It's a mix of everything, wristlocks, punches, kicks, throws, takedowns everything!

traditional karate is just punch and kick though
Why not try combining Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Savate?
Someone plunged a dagger deep into God's chest and
When he groaned it laid our entire civilization to rest
When he pulled out the dagger and marveled at the pain he could create
We stuck another in his back to seal creation's fate
Page 1 of 2