E|-3-6-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Or this?
e|-------------------------------9-12----------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------11-----------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------9-12---------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------11---------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------10-13-------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-9-12----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Obviously, the first one has more range to it but is much more difficult to play.
Although, I guess you could, if you wanted the two more notes bad enough, slide down from nine to 6 and 3, or from 3 to 6 up to nine and continue the easy way...
Thoughts?
Last edited by Pantera90 at Jun 19, 2008,
...or you could look at what notes are in the scale and play them all across the fretboard.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
how do you go about knowing what notes are in the scale do you actually memorize the interval formula or do you just remember you have to go up a whole step then a half step or vice versa? it seems like it would be kind of hard expecially if your improvising to think of what notes are in the scale.
I don't get what you're asking? To know what notes are in a scale you should learn the interval formula otherwise you'll need your guitar and a lot of time to figure out what notes are in a scale in any given key.

When I improvise i think of what i need to be playing and the feel of the song. I don't think of every note i play but if the changes i'm playing over are in C major i'll use C Ionian and if a G major chord is coming up i'll keeping playing the C major scale but try to land on a G or B or D or something.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Those aren't diminished scales, but rather diminished arpeggios. The diminished scale consists of either alternating half and whole steps, or whole and half steps.
Yes, all you are playing are dim7 arpeggios, which are just four minor 3rd interval stacked on top of each other.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR