Hey UG,

I own a Fender Hotrod Deluxe, and I hate the amp overdrive. I've been using a Line 6 Uber metal pedal for heavier tones, but lately I've been playing music which requires less distortion.

So I want to get a nice overdrive pedal, to give sounds similar to Tool, Radiohead or the Foo Fighters. Just modern rock in general.

Any recommendations?
have you tried the most popular ones?
boss sd1, ibanez tubescreamer?
Quote by guynaa
have you tried the most popular ones?
boss sd1, ibanez tubescreamer?

I've been considering the SD-1. The tubescreamer is really quite over-priced imo.
I have a Maxon Od-9 and i like it a lot.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by Pagan-Pie
I've been considering the SD-1. The tubescreamer is really quite over-priced imo.

Well, how much are you willing to spend?
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Pagan-Pie

Have a look at a Digitech Bad Monkey, it's basically a cheaper version of the tube screamer
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Fulltone OCD is the best there is. You'll pay a bit more though.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by Prophet of Page
Well, how much are you willing to spend?

It's not like I have a really tight price limit, it just seemed to me that you really pay for the name of the tubescreamer. I dunno whether or not that's true, but 80 or 90 pounds seems an awful lot for an overdrive pedal...
Quote by Pagan-Pie
It's not like I have a really tight price limit, it just seemed to me that you really pay for the name of the tubescreamer. I dunno whether or not that's true, but 80 or 90 pounds seems an awful lot for an overdrive pedal...

Well to give an example, my Butler Tube Driver certainly cost me more than £200 Sterling, but I think even at that price it was exceptionally good value for money, more so than a £30 Bad Monkey.

Ibanez Tube Screamers may be slightly overhyped and overpriced, but they're still better than the Bad Monkey in my opinion. £60 better? Not in my opinion, but I'd believe that the Maxon models are worth the prices being charged for them.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
check out the MI Audio crunch box if you want a med-high gain OD/dist
or the MI audio Blue boy deluxe which is what i use. Its extremely versatile with its 6 dials, has more gain than a tubescreamer and also has the ability to have less gain than a tubescreamer and is compact but built like a tank.
I was debating between the blue boy and an OCD and the blue boy won by a mile.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
I use a Hot Rod Deluxe, and a tubescreamer. i made mine. i bought a kit off of generalguitargadgets.com for about $50. its great. and you can use it over the dirt channel of the Hot Rod and it really helps it out.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.