I'm looking at the Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. I have a bad amp but ill be purchasing a new tube amp that is very good within the next month. So, should I get it? How does it go with tube amps, im assuming well. And I mean its only $40 so if i didnt use it, i wouldn't lose a lot of money. I'll be playing some rock and blues, not metal but straight up rock. I'm going to look at the Boss tomorrow so if there is an urgent reason I shouldn't get it please let me know.

Thank you.

PS Any suggestions on good tube amps is greatly appreciated.
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
dont get it it just sucks it sounds horrible and lacks mids completly

get a digitech bad monkey overdrive for 50 dollars its awesome

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

i'd look at an OVERDRIVE pedal, not the DS-1. The digitech bad monkey is a great one.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
^ beaten to it :P

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Well what amp are you getting? I'm sure you can find an amp that has great tone and plenty of gain stock, so you wouldn't even need a pedal.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by bite_the_bullet
The digitech bad monkey is a great one.

You and I must have very different concepts on what makes a "great" overdrive.

I would also like to know your amp budget.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Ibanez TS808 or TS9.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
i dont know why theres so much dissing on the ds-1 i get a great tone out of it if i just roll back the tone loads and use it as a boost on some slight distortion from my amp

EDIT: a tube amp will respond better to an overdrive though, check out the belcat OVD-302, most beautiful overdrive ive ever heard :P
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck norris

A lot
Last edited by tubey69 at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by tubey69
i dont know why theres so much dissing on the ds-1 i get a great tone out of it if i just roll back the tone loads and use it as a boost on some slight distortion from my amp

EDIT: a tube amp will respond better to an overdrive though, check out the belcat OVD-302, most beautiful overdrive ive ever heard :P

Well, if we wanted to be really pedantic, you could use a DS-1 to overdrive an amp, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for that purpose.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
umm the budget for my amp is somewhere between like 400 and 700 maybe. I think that should get a decent one I would hope. I don't need professional quite yet but close would be nice. But I do know that ill be getting some sort of tube amp, so if i do that an overdrive would be best? Does anyone know about the Overdrive Boss pedal or should I go for the bad monkey. The thing is that the only guitar store around here sells Boss pedals mainly and i'd like to try them out first.
But I guess you guys are saying that I can use the overdrive with the tube amp regardless, whereas theres a chance the distortion will be pointless with the amp...is that right?
In that price range you could probably get a used 6505 combo. It's all I ever end up recommending because it's all anyone ever really needs. So long as you're mostly a metalhead.
the only reason i even own a DS-1 is because my ****ty SS amp has terrible distortion without it.

so if your amp has a good distortion dont even bother.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
The 6505 combo looks to be a little too heavy for my style, im going to be playing a lot of cleaner and grittier stuff than just straight modern metal. The first thing I found when I started looking was the Peavey Valveking models, those seem pretty good, anyone have experience?
valvekings immediately need a new speaker and new tubes to sound decent

get a peavey classic 30

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Wow that Peavey classic 30 sounds incredible from the clips on the peavey site. That's the exact kind of stuff i'd be playing. Musiciansfriend doesn't sell them tho, only the heads, thats weird. Is this thing 600?
Quote by timzee117
valvekings immediately need a new speaker and new tubes to sound decent

get a peavey classic 30

+10000 for the Classic 30.. it's a fantastic amp and much better than the Valveking. But please, don't buy the Bad Monkey because it sucks tone.

And if anybody cares.. I'm back! It's been a while.

EDIT: TS, go used. The Classic 30/50 is way cheaper that way. And get a combo if you can.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I lied it just didnt come up when I searched Peavey classic 30
So would I want an overdrive to use with that classic 30? That amp sounds amazing, i'll see if I can play one tomorrow. But would overdrive be the best choice there?
Quote by tremonti9482
So would I want an overdrive to use with that classic 30? That amp sounds amazing, i'll see if I can play one tomorrow. But would overdrive be the best choice there?

Not necessarily. My Classic 50 gets enough gain for everything short of death metal. I doubt an OD pedal is necessary.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Ok what pedals are necessary here. I know i'm getting a delay pedal, and in my band, i'll probably use some effect fairly often, but i'm not sure what is a good choice. Is there any pedals that would improve my clean tone and make it full for clean solos? Or is it already going to be full enough for that?
What about compression pedals? What exactly do those do, nothing will really tell me.
And what's the difference between a delay and a tremolo really? A tremolo seems like a watered down delay to me from listening to them.
no pedal is "necessary"

a compression pedal takes you loudest notes and softest notes and "squeezes" them. it makes the louder stuff softer and the softer stuff louder.

a delay sort of echos what you played. a tremolo sounds like someone is quickly turning your volume up and down while you play. strum a chord and move your volume up and down on your guitar real quickly, thats tremelo.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
A common thing is to use an overdrive pedal for a clean boost for solos, or to add a little more gain by using the level while leaving the gain at 0.

So a bad monkey/ ts-808/ ts9 or whatever o/d you like with your new amp would probably be a good choice.

Also a wah pedal. Everyone loves a wah pedal
Quote by tremonti9482
And what's the difference between a delay and a tremolo really? A tremolo seems like a watered down delay to me from listening to them.

No, they're completely different. Tremolo is rapid wavering in volume. Delay makes repeats of the notes you play. Delay is a lot more versatile than tremolo.