Page 1 of 2
What would be your reaction if you die one day and then find out that God exists (if you're an atheist)? This is a purely hypothetical question. I don't want a religious debate and I don't want anybody to force their beliefs down anybody else's throats. And this question doesn't have anything to do with my own beliefs (which I won't go into), I was just thinking one day what it would be like to wake up, dead, and realize that what you believed was wrong.

So, what would be your response if you don't believe in God but then find out that he does exist when you die?

Remember, this is purely hypothetical.
Edit: also, intelligent answers are more welcome than answers like "Lol u d0nt exist, i belive in teh mudkipz?1"
"neat"
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
That depends on what He/he would hypothetically think of me.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jun 19, 2008,
Kill myself and go to heaven.

ya rly. I could fly around with angel wings and eat cookies and drink slushies all day, .
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

^any i think he just means a higher being
i luf da grammer knotziez

gear: (i wanna fit in)
ibanez tbx150r
phase90
lil big muff pi
weeping demon
esp viper100
boss chorus
other junk
Quote by donkey the wise
Well played Sir sFsKroniK
yay m special
I would request Hell.

I would be headed there anyway (according to Dante's Inferno) for my heresy, and Heaven sounds like one of the all time most boring and snobby places ever conceived in history.

At least in Hell my days would be eventful.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I'd thank him.

...I'm so alternative that I'm contrasting the cool alternative atheist opinion.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
"Yay, I will meet my idol, Satan."
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
"...Well you could have given us a few more hints."
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by maninthebox24
Which religion's God is it?
+1

If we're talking the Christian God I'd have to call him a fucking wanker.

Just any old higher being I'd probably just not care since such a being really has no impact on me.
Quote by freedoms_stain
+1

Just any old higher being I'd probably just not care since such a being really has no impact on me.

Well, the TS capitalised "God", so he must be talking about the Christian God, IMO.

Every other deity is just "god", since that's not their god's name.

That's just me, though.

Saxo-Walrus

Seeing as this proves you exist, faith is no longer needed from me, therefore you should dissappear in a puff of logic.
Quote by fallenangel20
I would request Hell.

I would be headed there anyway (according to Dante's Inferno) for my heresy, and Heaven sounds like one of the all time most boring and snobby places ever conceived in history.

At least in Hell my days would be eventful.

Wow. I thought I would be alone on this. Heaven being boring and snobby, Agreed. I would rather be stuck in the middle. Like a wandering soul.
Quote by Meths
"...Well you could have given us a few more hints."

+1, blame him for it.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
So what have you been doing with your time while innocent people suffer and die for no reason?
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.
A nice little pond. It was clean. It was neat.
The water was warm. There was plenty to eat.
The turtles had everything turtles might need.
And they were all happy. Quite happy indeed.
Quote by freedoms_stain
+1

i sincerely doubt you would do either one of those things. thats like saying you would tell off the strongest man in the world x infinite who would doom you to the worst pain ever concieved.
Sexy time with all the virgins. Very Nice!
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
I would probably ask him why he didn't give me a sign that he existed when I asked. I would ask him why he would fill a world with suffering and hate when he has equal ability to fill it with good.

Then I would ask him what the purpose of it all is. Why put people on Earth to live lives of torment and hardship when he could just put them into heaven right away and skip all the horrible stuff. Is it for his sick amusement? Are we like ants under a magnifying glass?

Although I'm pretty certain that this won't happen, those are just a few things I would ask.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Wesseem
i sincerely doubt you would do either one of those things. thats like saying you would tell off the strongest man in the world x infinite who would doom you to the worst pain ever concieved.
According to his book I'm going to hell anyway for the mere fact that I disbelieved his existence and since an all knowing omnipotent God probably knows what I'm thinking anyway, and generally that's pretty much the least harsh thing I can think of to say on the matter there's not really much point in dropping to my knees and reciting a poorly remembered version of the Our Father, is there?

Sincerely doubt away though.
Quote by mh.666
Seeing as this proves you exist, faith is no longer needed from me, therefore you should dissappear in a puff of logic.

Very good.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by dudetheman
I would probably ask him why he didn't give me a sign that he existed when I asked. I would ask him why he would fill a world with suffering and hate when he has equal ability to fill it with good.

Then I would ask him what the purpose of it all is. Why put people on Earth to live lives of torment and hardship when he could just put them into heaven right away and skip all the horrible stuff. Is it for his sick amusement? Are we like ants under a magnifying glass?

Although I'm pretty certain that this won't happen, those are just a few things I would ask.

this is not like a religious debate or anything, but i think the idea of good and happiness CANNOT exist without pain and suffering. people feel happy because they know they feel fortunate at a certain time due to the fact that they realize there is an alternative to their happiness which is pain/sadness etc.

it's like saying i wish the temperature was always 21 degrees (celsius). well if the whole universe was this temperature then the idea of heat and temperature itself wouldn't exist. (let's neglect the laws of physics and thermodynamics for that example)
Quote by Wesseem
this is not like a religious debate or anything, but i think the idea of good and happiness CANNOT exist without pain and suffering. people feel happy because they know they feel fortunate at a certain time due to the fact that they realize there is an alternative to their happiness which is pain/sadness etc.

it's like saying i wish the temperature was always 21 degrees (celsius). well if the whole universe was this temperature then the idea of heat and temperature itself wouldn't exist. (let's neglect the laws of physics and thermodynamics for that example)

Well why couldn't he (God) make it between damn good things and really damn good things. That way we would appreciate the good still, but never experience such extremes as rape, murder, etc. Why can't bad just be say cake instead of cake with frosting. You know?
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
"Woo! A lot of people owe me a lot of money..."
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I'd be really pissed because I have no idea what this god does with his spare time while lots of people are killing themselves.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Jesus titty f**king Christ! You're a chic!
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
inb4 "lolwut"
Epiphone: Les paul Custom SB
Line Six Spider III 15
70$ wal-mart brand acoustic

Quote by black amendment
You're awesome, dude.
Quote by Wesseem

He's kind of hamstrung by his supposed benevolence. He wouldn't do it so I could be as much of a dick as I wanted to.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Jericho114
Well why couldn't he (God) make it between damn good things and really damn good things. That way we would appreciate the good still, but never experience such extremes as rape, murder, etc. Why can't bad just be say cake instead of cake with frosting. You know?

that's a good point, but still it refers to the idea of contrasts. if the worst thing in life were cake and the best is a triple layered super cake then in that world cake would feel as bad as rape, torture etc. here's an exmaple that i think is fairly good. I'm sure all of you have been in a situation where you were in an area that was completely silent (or close to it) and you could hear the tiniest little noises such as a pin dropping or water dripping from a faucet. We became so used to the quiet that the extreme is water dropping then someone walks into the room and sais "hello" and in our mind that seems to be as loud as being in a rock concert.

This applies to the whole regular cake and super cake thing. a regular cake would make us feel like **** while the super cake makes us feel good.
"Any God that Judges people on their belief in It, yet provides no real reason to aside from a book corrupted by thousands of years of re-scribing, then banishes anyone who questions to an eternity of suffering is corrupt."
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by fallenangel20
Well, the TS capitalised "God", so he must be talking about the Christian God, IMO.

Every other deity is just "god", since that's not their god's name.

That's just me, though.

Well, other religions might have another name for god, but that's just usually in another language. Translated into English, it would be God. An example would be Allah for Muslims, which is just Arabic for God. Of course, that's supposed to be the same God as the Christian God, but there are probably other examples.
You know God doesn't really have a duty to us to stop pain and suffering and all that, mankind created all that so it should be up to them to stop it No point whinging to God about it. And all the people who say they want to go to Hell are idiots or 13, which is normally the same thing anyway. I'm not religious or anything by the way =]
Page 1 of 2