Hey im seriously considering reformating my computer and dual booting xp and a version on linux, can someone point me in a direction of a linux blog or website that is on top of the linux world so I know what the lastest developments are and such

also what is the most user friendly version I hear you need to know some stuff about command lines and terminal codes ect, I could proboably scratch by with my knowledge but I would like the most user firendly easiest to use version.

thx in advance

also how much should I set aside for linux I have a 320 GB HD and will most likely be doing mostly everything on XP, I just want to mess around with linux and see what its like
Ubuntu has the most about of support these days, the latest version was recently released. i dual boot it with Vista and it works really well.

Download it from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and burn the ISO to a dik using http://www.deepburner.com/ . They're both FREE!

I have 100GB and only allocate a 10GB partition because I keep all my media on a separate partition to Ubuntu and Vista. Bare in mind though you will have to create a Swap partition as well.
Go here for all of your questions and read the stickies. Look for threads before you make them. Chances are, 100% of the time, people have already experienced the troubles you are experiencing.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

EDIT: ^ The Ubuntu installation program is really nice. It makes all of the necessary partitions, including the swap and the boot.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
i vouch for all info stated. the dual boot install is really easy and it automatically sets up an OS menu when u first boot up (it sets default to linux, but thats easily changed). great OS too. very easy to completely convert.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
What kind of site were you looking for? There are a lot of specialized websites for Linux, you can for example check out DistroWatch if you're looking for distribution news.

There's no such thing as "most user friendly". Still, I would recommend Ubuntu to someone who is new, because there is just so much good help available online, and the community is very friendly towards beginners.

As for formatting the drive, I would do this:
- Format an NTFS partition for Windows with the size you think you need.
- Format a EXT3 partition for Linux, 10GB is more than what you need, but it doesn't hurt to have a little headroom.
- Format a swap partition for Linux which is as big as your RAM.
- Format the rest as FAT32, and use it to store files which will be used by both Windows and Linux (such as documents, music, etc).
f you're just messing around, why not just try out the Wubi installer? That way you can try it out and remove it from windows if you don't like it.
Another option to consider, if you don't want to make more partitions, is to consider VMWare. Look it up.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
thanks for all the help so far I have a whole summer to mess about with it

(sorry for size)
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Quote by whoismilan
What kind of site were you looking for? There are a lot of specialized websites for Linux, you can for example check out DistroWatch if you're looking for distribution news.

There's no such thing as "most user friendly". Still, I would recommend Ubuntu to someone who is new, because there is just so much good help available online, and the community is very friendly towards beginners.

As for formatting the drive, I would do this:
- Format an NTFS partition for Windows with the size you think you need.
- Format a EXT3 partition for Linux, 10GB is more than what you need, but it doesn't hurt to have a little headroom.
- Format a swap partition for Linux which is as big as your RAM.
- Format the rest as FAT32, and use it to store files which will be used by both Windows and Linux (such as documents, music, etc).

The new ubuntu has NTFS support built in, which is faster than Fat32
I use ubuntu yeah it's pretty good, strong, fast, and easy to use but let me to you it's ugly as **** try dream linux, fedora core, opensun, or opensuse
Quote by markodeano1
The new ubuntu has NTFS support built in, which is faster than Fat32

is it supported now, or still pretty experimental? i don't wanna go losing my files
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.