Page 1 of 3
Ok so... here's my first attempt on building a solid body guitar. I decided to go with the general outline of a Les Paul in a neck thru configuration. The neck is maple, the body wings are mahogany and the fret board ebony. I have only limited tools and budget so take it easy on me...

And here's how I radius'd the fretboard... don't laugh, I had to make a curved sanding block on my own with a sketchy router jig I made. I's about 12'

So what do you think so far
looks good so far!
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Did you make the neck? What are the holes in it just beyond on the fretboard?

Looks good though

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Man, why would we laugh? At least you didn't go out and pay a billion pounds for one!

The fingerboard and neck are the most important parts really, as far as playability is concerned, so you're already steaming through well.

What's the plan for electronics and hardware? Also, what neck angle/bridge recess depth are you going for?
Quote by Absent Mind
Did you make the neck? What are the holes in it just beyond on the fretboard?

Looks good though

Thanx... yea I did the neck. I'm trying to make as many things myself as possible. The wholes were used to screw a guide rail for the router to cut the sides of the neck... I bought the maple as a 2m x 40cm x 5cm lumber... lots of work.

Quote by -MintSauce-
Man, why would we laugh? At least you didn't go out and pay a billion pounds for one!

The fingerboard and neck are the most important parts really, as far as playability is concerned, so you're already steaming through well.

What's the plan for electronics and hardware? Also, what neck angle/bridge recess depth are you going for?

As I said it's an LP "inspired" guitar, so it's going to be quite different and more simplistic. I am going for a pair of Rolling Mills from Axetec (any opinions on those?), two 500k log pots, and a standard LP 3 way switch. For bridge I have a Schaller 476.
The neck has no angle since it's a flat top, the headstock is about 17 degrees back tilt.
Quote by Bismarck

As I said it's an LP "inspired" guitar, so it's going to be quite different and more simplistic. I am going for a pair of Rolling Mills from Axetec (any opinions on those?), two 500k log pots, and a standard LP 3 way switch. For bridge I have a Schaller 476.
The neck has no angle since it's a flat top, the headstock is about 17 degrees back tilt.

I've not tried the Rolling Mills, but I use a Steamhammer and Hammerhead in two of my guitars, and they're fantastic pickups for the money. Axetec service is excellent, too - reasonable prices, and the stuff always comes next day for me.
That is awesome! looks good so far. I can't wait to be able to start building my own guitar. Good Luck with the rest. Hope it turns out perfectly
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
very nice...looks excellent for a first build!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
thats gonna be one fine looking guitar. how did you get a template for the headstock and would you be willing to share it?
Quote by LP Addict
looks good for a first, hope thats not a one piece neck.

Why you hope its not a one piece neck?
Quote by Bismarck

i have a pair of rolling mills in my epi LP. i love them. more open sound that the original epi ones. lovely sound when i overdrive my tiny terror with them.
Thank you please.
Thanx for the positive comments guys... yea it's a one piece neck. No laminations or scarf joints. I made a little volute on the back... looks cool and feels great.

Wow, the glued up and pretty pictures look great. I might consider building my own sometime in the future, that's great stuff. Keep it up.

EDIT: What color are you going to make it later on?

Are you going to stay natural and just finish/gloss it up? I personally think it wouldn't look that bad, despite or because of the two-tone thing it's got going on.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
looks really cool dude!!

In this summer I'm planning to do a LP too, where did you get the plans for the guitar?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Thanx guys I really appreciate the comments.

Quote by Bleeding_me
looks really cool dude!!

In this summer I'm planning to do a LP too, where did you get the plans for the guitar?

I couldn't find any (free) plans for an LP so I had to blow up pictures and print them to A4 size paper then tape them together... huge hassle but it came up pretty close I think.

Quote by Chris_Parker
Wow, the glued up and pretty pictures look great. I might consider building my own sometime in the future, that's great stuff. Keep it up.

EDIT: What color are you going to make it later on?

Are you going to stay natural and just finish/gloss it up? I personally think it wouldn't look that bad, despite or because of the two-tone thing it's got going on.

My plan as for now is to paint the front, sides, and headstock gloss black with gold hardware, and leave the back and neck natural finished to show off my neck through design
Looking Good!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Bismarck
Thanx guys I really appreciate the comments.
I couldn't find any (free) plans for an LP so I had to blow up pictures and print them to A4 size paper then tape them together... huge hassle but it came up pretty close I think.
My plan as for now is to paint the front, sides, and headstock gloss black with gold hardware, and leave the back and neck natural finished to show off my neck through design

nice dude, great idea

good luck!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
That's ****ing awesome. How'd you get the "neck through" deal? I mean, I"m pretty new to this stuff, so did you just buy a 4x4 and carve a neck out of it? Thanks!
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Very nice! That volute is sexy!

(I have weird priorities in life...)

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
The neck was actually a 7 ft maple lumber when I got it.

Ok... here's what I'm thinking about the wiring. Any suggestions/corrections?

Quote by Bismarck
The neck was actually a 7 ft maple lumber when I got it.

Ok... here's what I'm thinking about the wiring. Any suggestions/corrections?

Save yourself the ballache of having to split and extend the pickup wires, and just ground them to the switch body, then the switch to the volume pot.
Good point mint. I was just going for the "star ground" thingy... but it'll definitely be easier to do your way.
Free hand routing the pickup cavities... not the smoothest but they'll work. Plus test fit the bridge and tunning keys to check the action.

The side dots are toothpicks btw... they came out nice I think

Damn you dont hang around do you.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Yea well the most time consuming and hard work has been done before I even started this thread. Routing, drilling, and adding hardware can be done pretty fast. I can't wait to have those pickups ordered and delivered so I can wire it up for a test
It plays real nice... I got the action as low as I could without buzzing. I left the neck kinda thick to retain tone and stability, it doesn't bother me I've got big hands
damn that is amazing! and u work very fast!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Lovely guitar, I like the idea of leaving the back natural so you can show off some of the construction details.
Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Looks amazing, but why such a simple tone control?

You went through all the trouble of building the guitar, why not do a standard LP 4 pot tone control. That's one of the things I love about my LP are the independent volume and tone knobs.

I wired up some push pull pots for my volume knobs so I could have coil splitting, pretty handy to have that kind of flexibility.
Page 1 of 3