Page 1 of 2
Not 10 seconds after posting this thread in the Building and Customizing forum i realized i was in the wrong place... so here it goes.

Well i got a Spider for my bday less than a year ago... my parents surprised me with it, thinking they were getting me something way better than i expected. I went from a small Peavey 15 watter to this, so it sounded WAY better. Then I discovered the fact that the clean sounds were actually not that good, and that the amp was controlling my tone. I plug in a Tele at a local shop and i get nearly the exact same sound as my Schecter Gryphon.

How can I get a better clean tone out of this thing? I love the customizable channels and the OD and Distortion sound good on it, but i can't get great cleans. I was thinking about getting a cheap EQ (Danelectro Fish N Chips) or maybe some kind of Tube preamp pedal.
Help!
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
It's the amp. It isn't designed to have good tone...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
didn't i just respond to this?

oh... you posted in the wrong forum, you should probably go delete the other post
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
"It's the amp. It isn't designed to have good tone..." (sry idk how to edit and quote)

Yeah well i understand that now. My parents aren't really into music at all and won't understand when i tell them my amp doesn't sound great.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
didn't i just respond to this?

oh... you posted in the wrong forum, you should probably go delete the other post

Yeah i'm about to do that
if u didnt see my response before u deleted it, tube amp FTW. if u have the money, that is....if u have $400, u can get a 50 watt peavey (the valveking 112), but if not, the tube pedal might be the way to go for now
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
if u didnt see my response before u deleted it, tube amp FTW. if u have the money, that is....if u have $400, u can get a 50 watt peavey (the valveking 112), but if not, the tube pedal might be the way to go for now

I didnt see your post. What are some cheap tube pedals?
The problem is you have a solid state amp, which is ok if you never use it for clean but sucks when you do.
Quote by Metallist65
The problem is you have a solid state amp, which is ok if you never use it for clean but sucks when you do.

That's why i'm in this pickle... i love the gain settings cause there are so many of them but i can't stand the clean.
well what kind of clean setting are you looking for? if you want the warm tube sound then i spose a good way of doing that is getting an EQ, but its hard cos the spider 3 doesnt have an fx loop..
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck norris

A lot
Yeah a tube-ish sound.
Doesn't have an FX loop? i thought you just plugged FX into the Input jack..... i dont have any fx pedals so i wouldnt know
Quote by Metallist65

Actually, in my experience, all sorts of distortions are where solid state amps fail badly (I'm talking about the low quality ones I've used). Some SS amps are great for cleans (Jazz Chorus for one).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
an EQ to make it sound tubey is best used in the fx loop (after the preamp) to eq the whole sound, if you put it before the amp then it only equalizes the sound coming out of your guitar and then the amp eq's it itself. maybe get a clean boost and roll back the dist to 0 (if it completely cleans up), check out the BB preamp, thats a really warm tone. but imo solid state amps are good for shimmering cleans, just lack that extra warmth x
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck norris

A lot
There's little that can be done with the Spider, there's too much processing going on for pedals to be able to improve matters. More often than not they just screw with the signal and cause interference as opposed to doing the job they're supposed to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ideally, I'd sell it and just get myself a good used 2x10 or 2x12 tube amp (cause i love the way 2 speakers sound.)
Best thing you can do is just be patient and save up. In your situation, I wouldn't want to hurt my parents if they bought me an amp. Keep practicing out of it.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
It's good that you have this in mind, because I've met so many people who buy cheap tiny Spider 3's and go on to buy the half-stack versions and see nothing but Awesomeness in it, but that just really doesn't exist in Spider's. What did you have in mind for a tube combo, and if you have nothing in mind what are you looking for in one?
Quote by bowen
It's good that you have this in mind, because I've met so many people who buy cheap tiny Spider 3's and go on to buy the half-stack versions and see nothing but Awesomeness in it, but that just really doesn't exist in Spider's. What did you have in mind for a tube combo, and if you have nothing in mind what are you looking for in one?

First I'd like to say that the Spider I have is NOT tiny. 120 watts, 2x10.

I'm not sure what i have in mind... From research I like the Epiphone Blues Custom 2x12 and Peavey ValveKing. I've never played either.
Here's what I'm looking for...
-I'd like it to be a 2-speaker combo. They sound a little more full than 1 speaker. Again, my experience is with SS's, so I'm not sure if having 2 speakers in a Tube amp makes any difference. I think I could go for a one 12"-speaker.
-It can't weigh a ton (I'm gonna weigh my spider in a sec to get a feeling of how heavy my ideal amp should be)
-Good, warm, clean tone
-A good OD/Dist. channel, but it can't be too heavy. I don't play metal really.
-I'm gonna say less than 400, cause thats what the Spider cost. I suppose I could pay 500 if i payed 100 and the 'rents took the other 400. I dont have a job so i have no way of making steady cash.
-Powerful enough to gig with. I'm talking like 150 people MAX.
-It needs to be versatile. I'm not looking for a really specific tone here. Just be able to cover LedZepp to Wolfmother to SRV and maybe a cheap RATM imitation.
Somebody, please help me......
Valveking looks a good option for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
peavey classic 30 sounds perfect for this
save up and get a used one
it will be way better than the valveking on most things
and if you really do want that extra speaker than peavey classic 50
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Meatball200
Use your neck pickup!

Excellent suggestion... but I usually do use the neck pup for cleans. I don't think my neck pup sounds great. I was gonna get a replacement, but found out that a replacement pup wouldn't do a damn thing cause i have a modeling amp. It sounds kinda muddy.
Quote by acdclandon
peavey classic 30 sounds perfect for this
save up and get a used one
it will be way better than the valveking on most things
and if you really do want that extra speaker than peavey classic 50

In my research I saw the Classic 30. looks sweet. Will it be loud enough, though?
Oh and I also saw the Peavey Delta Blues 115. The thing looks amazing. I've never seen a 15" speaker on a guitar amp. I'm afraid it might be too tone-specific though (I love that blues tone, but i need versatility!). It's also out of my $ range
Last edited by BD 425 at Jun 20, 2008,
Quote by Metallist65

I don't think that's it. Most solid state amps are clean by nature. He has a modeling amp that uses solid state circuit boards.

Can you adjust the effects on a spider?

I realize you don't want to upset your parents but just tell them you have gotten better and its time for you to upgrade to tube amp to improve your tone.

For your music style and buget I would think a valveking 112 would fit well. The 212 is 65lbs. Also look at the Blackhearts, B52s, and Fender SuperChamp. There are other amps too especially if you can go used.

Try selling your spider on craigslist.com and also looking for used.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith

the valveking sucks on clean as well.

Amp Model: Red Blues LED
Drive: 4.5
Bass: 5
Mid: 6.5
Treble: 6
Channel Volume: 11 (or, of course, however loud or soft you want it as compared to other channels)
Reverb: 3
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I thought we were talking about valveking? 6505 is a diff story.

I think the cleans on the VK are fine.
Imo

hm really? i didn't get that much time with the valve king to be honest. i did however messed around with the distortion and it was decent for a budget tube amp. the clean however did not please me. maybe because i'm too spoiled by my own amps but i find the vox ad30xt had a better clean then the valveking though
Quote by BD 425
In my research I saw the Classic 30. looks sweet. Will it be loud enough, though?
Oh and I also saw the Peavey Delta Blues 115. The thing looks amazing. I've never seen a 15" speaker on a guitar amp. I'm afraid it might be too tone-specific though (I love that blues tone, but i need versatility!). It's also out of my $ range

Yes it will. I can stay clean over the drummer as long as he doesn't beat it like a misbehaving child (jk i don't condone this). The Delta Blues and the Classic 30 are essentially the same amp except the DB has a bigger speaker, tremolo instead of reverb, and it's voice a little bit darker (could be my ears playing tricks on me). I bought my classic 30 for $275+shipping and I'm POSITIVE you can find one for $300-$350 in good condition. Theres a great market for these amps.

It's not tone specific at all. It's one of the most versatile tubes you will find. It has good cleans (not quite as sparkly as Fender or as chimey as Vox but very very good) and a good OD channel so it can do both.
Last edited by Siren Silently at Jun 21, 2008,
actually you can get some good clean tones on the Spider.
Use your rhythm pickup with 7-10 tone depending on your preference
Gain:4
Bass:4-6
Mid:3
Treb:8-10
and a decent amount of chorus for that amazing tone
thats what I use on my Spider to get a good, Metallica-esque clean tone
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Quote by Metallist65

There are actually some very nice clean solid state amps, why do you think acoustic guitar amps are solid state? Also several roland, and fender jazz style amps have beautiful solid state cleans (cost a bit more than the cheapest nice-clean tube amps). Early ss amps were adopted by people that needed a lot of clean headroom.

The dirt cheapest way to get nice cleans is to buy a decent sounding practice bass amp. It's hit and miss, and just requires trying out different models. Some cheap solid state bass amps will sound as good clean as most 5 or 15 watt tube amps do (these low wattage amps aren't made for cleans anyway). It's a different sound than fender tube cleans, obviously darker for one, but hey so is that of most cheap tube amps.

I'll go ahead and ready my flame shield now for anyone who is instantly like OMG yu need T00bz.

edit* spelling, though I probably missed more.
Quote by BD 425

as siren silently stated it will be plenty loud, quite a bit louder than 100 watts ss!
yeah idk anything about the delta blues, but all i know is the classic is
1. loud
2. versatile
3. relatively cheap
4. one of the best amps for non metal players for the price
in fact THE best
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I like all this Peavey talk, but what about something like a Fender Blues Jr.? (used of course)
Blackheart Handsome Devil?
Other suggestions?
Last edited by BD 425 at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by BD 425
I like all this Peavey talk, but what about something like a Fender Blues Jr.? (used of course)
Blackheart Handsome Devil?
Other suggestions?

When most people think of gorgeous cleans, they think fender, the blues Jr. would probably be your best bet in that price range. You will need a 15w instead of a 5w to get a fun amount of clean headroom if you go tub. Even for just fiddling around in your room... maybe the 5w champ is an exception, i haven't tried it.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
When most people think of gorgeous cleans, they think fender, the blues Jr. would probably be your best bet in that price range. You will need a 15w instead of a 5w to get a fun amount of clean headroom if you go tub. Even for just fiddling around in your room... maybe the 5w champ is an exception, i haven't tried it.

Blues Jr. is just an okay Fender amp, there are many amps (PV C30 included) that have comparable cleans and just flat out much better overdrive. The HRD cleans aren't good enough to make up for the subpar drive channel and the DRRI is out of this price range.
Page 1 of 2