I have opportunity to go around and buy a heap of stuff today. The things I'm talking about are items such as a pop filter, cables I'll need etc. Home made stuff that I'll need materials for as well would be good.

This is what I have so far:

2 SM57s
1 Rode NTG2 condenser
Toneport UX1
Behringer MX802A Mixer - http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Behringer/MX802A+Eurorack/10/1
2 mic stands
2 XLR cables
2 sets decent headsets
2 good laptops
Mixcraft and Sonar Pro 7 + EZDrummer
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by zapparage at Jun 19, 2008,
For good mix, I recommend a set of studio monitors like the KRK rp5's or something similar. You can get some decent sounding budget sets if you shop around.

One of the most useful things I have purchased are these little mic clips:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hercules-Stands-MH100B-QuickNEZ-Microphone-Clip?sku=453073

VERY useful when micing cabs and drums. You can adjust mic position without adjusting the stand.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
KRK monitors or something similar would be nice to have for mixing.
also ditch the mixer (behringer isn't great anyways...) and go for an interface that has a lot of inputs such as the PreSonus FP10.

Mix with the software, if you want hands on control instead of a mouse, get a control surface.
This will greatly improve audio quality and give better peamps for your SM57s which they prefer...

BTW, why two laptops?
I would get one really powerful one or a nice custom build PC desktop...

as for the mic clip in the above post, most mics have their own clip. The SM57 comes with one, as do the MXL 990 and 991. They fit the mics very well and hold them in place.
As long as the clip has a pivot point (and most do) then it should work just as good as those spring clip ones.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 20, 2008,
Get a nice Firewire mixer...the Mackie U420d looks particularly nice. The better preamps and quality will definitely come in handy, and it's pretty good at doing live stuff (though should you record you'll end up with a stereo rather than individually tracked recording).

Alesis' multi-mix 8 or io|14 are also solid choices, with better connectivity and price, if not preamps. The latter is more geared for recording, and is very inexpensive. It's also very easy to hook up hardware effects too through insert cables.

And get an extra mike stand, cable, and look into those clips that Deth mentioned. Monitors are also a good idea...KRK and M Audio make good ones, though if you can save money, Mackie's MR series and Event's Linear monitors are supposed to be quite good for the money.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Jun 20, 2008,
be aware that the Mackie firewire mixers only send out out right after the preamp so you dont effect any EQ or much at all with the hands on controls...
seems pointless to me why they did that...
From your list, I'll agree that the next thing you NEED is a proper set of proper monitors. You will learn sooner or later that not having them is a mistake.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by moody07747
be aware that the Mackie firewire mixers only send out out right after the preamp so you dont effect any EQ or much at all with the hands on controls...
seems pointless to me why they did that...

So that levels are consistent in the recording while you can adjust them in live performances without worrying about clipping or whatnot.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101