well, i don't know if my placement of my picking hand (right hand) is good. i rest my wrist/palm on the top of the bridge. i haven't seen a single person on youtube/ug do it the same way and im some what self concious about it. i don't think that it is ok for some reason. when i support my hand with my free fingers under the bridge as i see most people doing, it's a lot harder to play. where should i be placing my right hand?
Nowhere actually, try searching around this forum for topics on "anchoring".

There's been a lot of discussion about it and it seems most people who stopped anchoring got better. That's me included!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Yeah, I tried anchoring back when I began seriously practicing alt. picking, but it was just too damn uncomfortable. Now I pick more like Paul Gilbert or Buckethead, without anchoring but with the palm of my hand just barely resting on the bridge.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jun 20, 2008,
is anchoring really bad for you? (and by this i mean if you stop will you improve?) I anchor by resting the side of my hand on the bridge, but i still manage to play pretty well.
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
MY guitar teacher is opposite of what everyone here says. He said he recommends to actually have your pinky on the guitar while playing. It's more comfortable and you have more knowledge of the strings your at. I anchor all the time. I tried not to and it was very odd feeling. I couldn't play as fast or as accurate. May be because I wasn't used to it who knows. There are famous players that anchor some that don't I guess its just preference. But I am by no means an expert of guitar.
Quote by Iron_Dude
Yeah, I tried anchoring back when I began seriously practing alt. picking, but it was just too damn uncomfortable. Now I pick more like Paul Gilbert or Buckethead, without anchoring but with the palm of my hand just barely resting on the bridge.

That's what I do also. It's loose enough that it doesn't cause tension (for me anyway) but provides stability.
The reason anchoring is generally considered bad is because it causes excess tension, which inevitably shows up in your playing and inhibits your overall ability. Yes, you can anchor and play really well, but if you worked at it (it takes a while to unlearn anchoring) you'd be even better if you didn't.
TS: if the contact with the bridge is light, you're probably fine. If it's so heavy you don't naturally move your hand around a little as you move from string to string (i.e. if you're playing the 1st and 6th strings from the same position) you may want to change your technique, And if it really bugs you that bad, learn to play differently.
Quote by Iron_Dude
Yeah, I tried anchoring back when I began seriously practing alt. picking, but it was just too damn uncomfortable. Now I pick more like Paul Gilbert or Buckethead, without anchoring but with the palm of my hand just barely resting on the bridge.

I also do this, and personally think it's the most maneuverable. It causes little or no tension. TS, I would suggest you try this. Just barely lift your hand off the bridge, almost like you're grazing it.
Quote by Myung'sMusicman
MY guitar teacher is opposite of what everyone here says. He said he recommends to actually have your pinky on the guitar while playing. It's more comfortable and you have more knowledge of the strings your at. I anchor all the time. I tried not to and it was very odd feeling. I couldn't play as fast or as accurate. May be because I wasn't used to it who knows. There are famous players that anchor some that don't I guess its just preference. But I am by no means an expert of guitar.

i was told this as well. it's not true. while it does give you a good base from which to work when you're beginning, there's no reason to suggest why you couldn't hoave equal or even more knowledge of the strings without a finger down. none.

i also do the Paul Gilbert, Buckethead thing. i don't do it for stability but for muting. as long as your hand can move without tension (and be completely honest with yourself when you check), you're fine with the technique you've got.
There is alot of different ways to pick and alot of good guitarists play very differently. I think all that matters is that your comfortable with what your doing
Quote by Nightfyre
That's what I do also. It's loose enough that it doesn't cause tension (for me anyway) but provides stability.
The reason anchoring is generally considered bad is because it causes excess tension, which inevitably shows up in your playing and inhibits your overall ability. Yes, you can anchor and play really well, but if you worked at it (it takes a while to unlearn anchoring) you'd be even better if you didn't.
TS: if the contact with the bridge is light, you're probably fine. If it's so heavy you don't naturally move your hand around a little as you move from string to string (i.e. if you're playing the 1st and 6th strings from the same position) you may want to change your technique, And if it really bugs you that bad, learn to play differently.

hey what you mean by playing the first and sixth string from the same position???

like just rotating ur wrist? or moving the whole hand???? explain plesae