Can anyone tell me if a Randall RG50TC or a Peavey Valveking 112 will have enough distortion for Hard Rock and Heavy Metal without the use of a distortion pedal. I am really thinking about upgrading to one of these tube amps if they will do Hard Rock and Heavy Metal without a distortion pedal. Thanks
Go for the Randall, it's better for metal.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Randall. Maybe its just my guitar, but it doesnt seem to have enough gain or output for metal.
i hear great things about the randall for high gain/metal music
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
I havnt heard the valveking but ive played the rg50tc and it was pretty horrid, muddy as a badger in the rain and the dist was fizzy and meh sounding, i mean to be fair i was A/Bing it with my rocker30 but still......
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Randall... I was also considering the VK but the most distortion it could do IMO was hard rock/LIGHT heavy metal...

damn oxymorons...
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Good god....Exactly how much gain do you people use? I've played the Valveking countless times and it's always had plenty of gain. With the boost enabled I usually had it at ~7 and it was plenty.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Go with the B-52 AT112. I liked it alot better than the Randall. Its got alot better clean channel and the gain channel is face melting. The randall to me sounded boxey and the clean channel wasnt anything great. B-52 wins IMHO its got everything you could want and need for the most part.
quick question, im pretty much set on the randall for its distortion but not sure due to many bad reviews on the clean channel. is anyone able to tell me if the clean channel is as good or better than the cube30x if so then its good enough for me
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
take a look at b-52 also, nice cleans to go with a really good distortion