So i've convinced my dad to get me a better guitar than my Squier for my birthday. I have 2 guitars in mind:

An Epiphone SG Goth series

OR

A Jackson JS30RR guitar, in red or black.

Now what i'd like to know is which one, in your personal opinion, is better. Which sounds better, which looks better, everything.
What is your amp?

Because they aren't really better than your Squier in my opinion.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Forgot to mention.

I'd like amp suggestions to go with your opinions. Anything would be better than the crappy one that came with my Squier.
Fender Frontman Amp-$329.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Fender pwns Roland.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
i've never played a goth, but i love jacksons, even in teh js series it's amazing the quality you're getting for the price
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I agree neither of those are just great guitars. A new amp would be a better idea unless you really dislike your Squier or it is in bad shape to where it's a discouragement to play.
I've only been on this site for a month, but after being here and seeing opinions, i'm pretty sure i'm just going to get a Roland Cube 20 (since I just play guitar for pretty much fun, but i'm probably going to try gigs later on down the road.)

EDIT: And I really don't like my Squier. It's heavy and it feels cheap to me. (And it is, really.)
I currently own an Epiphone G-400 Worn Natural, and a Roland Cube 15x. I enjoy the guitar but not the Amp. Go for the Frontman, thats what im getting. 2x12
My Gear
Epiphone G-400
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland Cube 15X
Boss Distortion DS-1
Quote by Snap017
I've only been on this site for a month, but after being here and seeing opinions, i'm pretty sure i'm just going to get a Roland Cube 20 (since I just play guitar for pretty much fun, but i'm probably going to try gigs later on down the road.)

EDIT: And I really don't like my Squier. It's heavy and it feels cheap to me. (And it is, really.)

Get a new amp then. If you don't like your guitar, a new amp isn't going to make any difference.
Quote by -Blue-
Uh...

You know what, why have a great amp if you hate the guitar. I mean you could love the amp, but the guitar is what you make the great sounds on the amp with. And if you don't like the guitar, you're not gonna care how the amp sounds. TS also seemed to not be bothered by his amp until people brought it up. Now if you don't like both... that's an issue
Get a better amp before you get a better guitar.
A good amp can make a bad guitar sound good.
A bad amp can't make a good guitar sound good.

If you really hate the guitar get a new one and later save up for a new amp, but it won't make much of a difference to your ears
I know you maybe dont wanna hear this but, i think you should try out some ltd's or esp's. In my opinion those guitars give you the best quality for very little money. Just try before you decide.
I do like jacksons, but keep in mind if your gona get the randy rhodes v, its really hard to play sitting down.
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Epiphone valve junior half stack.
OR
Blackheart halfstack.
I think 300 is still less than the epiphone goth SG, and it's a GREAT amp.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
ESPs are my choice in guitar, but you never told us what kind of music you want to play. Also a good amp can make a decent guitar sound great.
Quote by Snap017
I want to play metal, and a Squier just doesn't look the part.

One brand.

Iba-f*cking-nez.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by Snap017
I want to play metal, and a Squier just doesn't look the part.

Take off the pickuguard, neck, input jack plate, buy some white red and black spray paint, and go EVH on it.

No problem.

Oh, and I'd suggest you look into guitarfeish.com 's prewired strat pickguards, they have a REALLY great price on the EVH and fat strat setups.

EDIT:

I suggest these two:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/hueqhssblpra.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/sihuevhriblo.html

Oh, and buy a TONE knob for the volume.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Last edited by Iansmitchell at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by QuebecMetal
One brand.

Iba-f*cking-nez.

Lol ok, There are alot better metal guitars out there, like jacksons and esps.
Quote by Copilot911
Lol ok, There are alot better metal guitars out there, like jacksons and esps.

And BC rich.
And Gibson.
And dean.
and squier
and fender
and epiphone

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Copilot911
Yeah BC rich and Dean but squier? No.

Squires? Not stock, no.
But you add in the right pickups and a floyd rose, you can get a great axe.
The squire bullet is all SOLID basswood, just liek 80's superstrats.
Also, a nice neck filing, you got the right thing there too.
You could also go EVH on the paintjob, if you wanted, too.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Last edited by Iansmitchell at Jun 19, 2008,
Get a new amp, I'm happy that I got a better amp before a new guitar. Also, like someone mentioned, get a Roland Cube. I use one in my guitar lessons and they're great.